taking on another beardie ... choices choice ahhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draake

OMG!!!! It's a blessing you took her! NO LIGHTS AND UVB FOR 4 YEARS? How was she still alive? She seems to be doing much better in your care, though. :mrgreen:
~Nick

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
hello Nick :)
what a sweet thing to say. thanks!
yes Lexi is doing unbelievably better. she is really making a turn-around! i adore adore adore ADORE her.
annnnnnd i have absolutley no clue how she is alive really, i mean the lack of heat and especially the UVB have taken a toll on her body, she has MBD, broken bones that have healed wrong, etc ... i know they are hardy lizards by nature but wow, yeah, she's the little miracle beardie :)
she's so sweet too.
thanks for your nice words! :wink:
~Em

ohhhh and Deb and Bayou ... just placed my order from Tracie. :)
thanks so much yall, youre the bestest!!! Lexi LOVES yall so much!
~Em

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
hi Miss Estherrrrrr!!! yay :)
thank you :) you are the cats pajamas!
im really glad i ordered them too, like REALLY glad, i cant wait to get them!
im sure she will benefit from it so much.
~Em

mommisgurl

Juvie Member
Woot woot.! Go lexi.!!! :blob8: :blob5: The fam is happy to hear she's doing better.! My goodness,what a change since you've gotten her...what a lucky girl.! :) Please keep up with the updates,like how the new meds worked out,along with the carrot baby food :wink:

Reptar says HIIIIII LEXI.!!!! :mrgreen:

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
HI!!
Lexi says "hi Reptar!!"
she flirts with all the boys ;)

and thanks for your happy post, it made me smile after being kinda worried about Lex today. i just feel like im pushing too much protein on her,i read some threads where too much protein too fast for a malnourished beardie (especially for Lexi, who has little to no (?) protein in her life) ...

im encouraged by the different baby foods to give her, thank yall so much ...
was pretty much sticking to a squash/green pea regiment, but i had also backed off that the last few days.

arrrrrrrrrrrrg sometimes i look back and think "why did i do that??!" :banghead:

always making mistakes, but always learning too.
and man, has this been one huge learning process. and i have fallen in love with her at the same time. i feel lucky she is in my life, each day, ups and downs, are very important to me, they impact me in a way i cant explain. she's just so beautiful, a beautiful little soul.

i will obliterate the baby food isle tomorrow. ;) baby food attack!!!
i will get a mix of different things, not push it on her, but see what she likes and will take, sometimes once i get the syringe actually in, she takes to it very well. other times not so much.

i know this sounds REALLY horrible to say, but from her MBD, the front of her mouth (where there little lips are) never developed properly, ad its puckered like she is constantly blowing a kiss ... so she has a little hole there where i can see the tip of her tounge. i hate to say this and i feel really bad for saying it b/c her mouth is NOT the way its supposed to be by any stretch what-so-ever, but it has helped me very gently coax her mouth open much smoother an easier, i dont have to pry really ... is that bad of me to say??? im not glad its like that, but its a means of being able to get food and CC in a little easier.
i suppose we just have work with what we have, and not feel like a jerk for saying that.

HOWEVER, its a little 100% unique characteristic of Lexi (of so many) that i adore, her little opening at the tip of her lips, blowing kisses constantly (or sticking her tounge out at me on purpose ... hmmmm Lexi :mrgreen: )
God she is so cute.

i look at her and i wonder, she had ALL the potentinal in the world to be a really big, strong, BRIGHT yellow dragon. and she still has so much potential, alllllllllllll the potential in the WORLD in my eyes, im not saying that negatively in ANY way i LOVE Lexi ... but to see her this way, and to KNOW what she COULD have been from the start, it jsut amazes me how people let her (and so many other beardies/any animal/cats/dogs/etc) just WASTE away. literally ... waste away.

all i know is that i adore her with all my heart. she has that special "something" about her that is completely her own, Lexi is my hero. BlueBelle is my "CURVY" DIVA CHAMP that i raised from a tiny tiny tiny baby ;)
and i love them both so much.

i am rambling, i just have emotions right now, this is a long post, and i could go one even more.
i am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the "good stuff" i bought from Tracie!!

i am also anxiously awaiting the start of school (never thought i would say THAT! ha! never. ever.) ... to get a regular paycheckkkkkkkk so i can afford more of what i want to give her.
and for all my animals. i have been fortunate that my side job selling Thirty-One Products this summer has brought in that little bit of extra money i so much needed for her vet visit. I am fortunate to have a fiance that is understanding, and parents that support me emotionally in my rehabiltion of Lexi ...

im just self reflecting, and thankful right now. each day i do get scared when she looks ... not so good, but other days she looks great, in my eyes.
its gonna be ok :) im happy to have yall here for us ... that is another thing that i am SO fortuante to have ... YOU YOU YOU each and EVERY ONE of you means something very special to me.

i will update soon, and get some pics of SEXY LEXI !!!!
OH ... an BlueBelle LOVES the extra attention. even though she wont admit it ;)
much love,
~Em

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You can post as much as you want, as often as you want. Don't every think you're doing anything wrong with Lexi, she is beautiful because of your care, not the creeps that owned her before. She's lucky that you found her & decided to take her home, it's not everyone that would take in such a damaged dragon & heal her up so well & that's just to start! She has a long way to go but with you there, it's going to go well. I remember when you first started posting you were afraid, every morning, that she'd passed away, but she didn't because she's a miracle dragon & you're her miracle slave. Don't feel bad about using the opening in her lips to feed her, I know she's grateful that she's eating such great food now. As for the worms, maybe too early for her tummy to digest. I guess the roaches, being smaller, are easier on her tummy, so stick to them. Once you're working & can afford it, try to get her some phoenix worms, they're tiny & full of calcium, so would be good for her & I think she would digest them well. I think butters can be hard to digest, even though they're soft worms. Don't be so hard on yourself, you learn as you go with a rescue like Lexi. You're doing A GREAT JOB!!!!! And don't ever think otherwise. If you'd had Lexi from the beginning she would be a wonderful yellow dragon. But she's still a wonderful yellow dragon. Just the fact that she's shedding is a wonder. So give yourself a big hug & pat on the back from all of us. :love5: :love5:

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
awwwwwwwwwww see its posts like that from people like you that i respect SO much and have supported me SO much that give me courage. and make cry JEESH darn you!! ;) oh man that made me cry.
not a bad cry! i think i really needed a good cry and you let the flood gates open for me :)

thank you Deb, will all my heart, i thank you. i honestly do NOT know how to thank you enough. its beyond me. im just kinda speechless. all of you.

i will back off the butters, i never even considered them hard to digest you know b/c im so used to Blue digesting everything so well ... but im glad you brought that up, very glad in fact. thank you! i wonder why? maybe their chemical/internal makeup? well, Blue has extra butters now! they wont go too much to waste.

and yeah, phoenix worms really are amazing. so calcium packed!! Blue used to tear through them. they are so ideal.
oh and she didnt eat the mustard greens like i thought she did, i think when she was army crawling to her basking spot, a paper towel flipped over them ... i was ll like YES! today ... then i found them. one day!! one day she will :)
the little little roaches do seem to go over well digestivley (is that a word?) with her. she only does about 5 -10 every three days, so maybe im not over-doing the protein, seeing as how i have lessened the carnivoure care to now 2 days a week.

i did just realize that im not giving her the vitamin supplement powder like i need to be. in all my over-whelmed feeding and so much to keep up with, i forgot it.
why i have NO idea. its just been a whirlwind.
i did dust he first round of roaches in it ... but i need to be more diligent about it, sprinkle it and mix it in the babyfood.i am very determined to get some more veggies in her. and even some fruit baby food too. i know fruit is not high on the list, but like bayou and you said ... go for it.

i mean, so true, why not, some fruit babyfood would be at the least something possibly tasty for her, a form of some nutrition, and a definite source of hydration.
~Em

the amount of the mostly undigested butters did throw me off for sure today. i was like ohhhhhhhhh no poor baby. it was ... like, eeeek.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Checked the list from www.beautifuldragons.com to see what veggies & fruit are best for her & get the babyfood that goes with it. Remember there's not alot in a babyfood dish, so a syringe or two isn't a huge amount of any of them, so you can give her different ones every day to see what she really likes. Give her the squash daily, anyway, as it's the one that's on the list for daily eating & it's good for her. I always have babyfood squash & babyfood chicken w/veg, just in cast I run out of bugs or they don't eat for whatever reason, they'll always eat babyfood!

I know it can get overwhelming taking care of a special needs dragon like Lexi, but just take a breath, cry if you feel like it (that releases good endorphins & helps you feel better) and carry on. You ARE doing a great job with her. The difference in her in the first week was, well, miraculous, like bringing her back to life, so you can't start picking on yourself because you forgot to give her something or because the butters didn't digest properly. You're going to be experimenting with her, anyway, to see what works & what doesn't. It sounds as if all is well internally (amazing, but true) so it's just to get her strength up more than it is (which is another amazing thing). So just pat yourself on your back or get your fiance to give you more hugs & snuggle Lexi & Blue alot to make yourself feel better. Glad you had that cry, it's stressful! No doubt about it!
Take care,
Deb

P.S. I've decided to give that extra bottle of calcium to my dragonsitter Jake, as he's run out. I hope that ok with you. He took care of my 5 dragons & gecko for the 3 days I was away last weekend & spends time with them every day I'm at work. I hope that doesn't mess up your supply. If you need it, let me know...honestly.

mommisgurl

Juvie Member
I know exactly how you feel Em..and just like Deb said,post as often as you'd like! I love to come on here and see all the new posts and updates..it seriously makes my day :)
She is most definately a miracle dragon...looking back and seeing all your progress,where you've come from,and where your going with her,makes me very happy..as well as be inspired! This whole experience has made me see that I'd love to become a sort of...dragon rescue basecamp xD Once I can get a place, I'll make a whole room dedicated to that..
And it's all because of YOU and LEXI..Within all the stresses,ups and downs everyday,all the money...you've done more than just take in this beautiful girl and make her all better again..you have enlightened us all as to what it means to be selfless and to help those who can't help themselves :)

I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason..you were ment to find Lexi,be afraid as to how much you could help her,decide to take her in reguardless,go through all these different processes to try to get her well again,try all these new things,ask all these questions..as well as being ment to see her flourish and grow..just live life like a beardie should..everything has happend for a reason :) Lexi is very blessed to have you..even if she had to go through 4 years of no care to do it... :banghead:

Reptar has had the phoenix worms,and lovesssss them. I had a problem with him when I first got him that he wasn't digesting all his worms either, and I would see atleast 4 in his poop..had me very worried! But now that I gave him some time to grow a bit,I havn't seen one in a while :) Just don't lose hope!

And your not making any kind of mistakes..your Learning! You have to do it one way or the other..and this is how! She loves you all the more nonetheless..so don't be hard on yourself at all. We are all here to help you! :blob5: :blob5: :blob8: :blob8:

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":qhrcaowo said:
Checked the list from http://www.beautifuldragons.com to see what veggies & fruit are best for her & get the babyfood that goes with it. Remember there's not alot in a babyfood dish, so a syringe or two isn't a huge amount of any of them, so you can give her different ones every day to see what she really likes. Give her the squash daily, anyway, as it's the one that's on the list for daily eating & it's good for her. I always have babyfood squash & babyfood chicken w/veg, just in cast I run out of bugs or they don't eat for whatever reason, they'll always eat babyfood!

I know it can get overwhelming taking care of a special needs dragon like Lexi, but just take a breath, cry if you feel like it (that releases good endorphins & helps you feel better) and carry on. You ARE doing a great job with her. The difference in her in the first week was, well, miraculous, like bringing her back to life, so you can't start picking on yourself because you forgot to give her something or because the butters didn't digest properly. You're going to be experimenting with her, anyway, to see what works & what doesn't. It sounds as if all is well internally (amazing, but true) so it's just to get her strength up more than it is (which is another amazing thing). So just pat yourself on your back or get your fiance to give you more hugs & snuggle Lexi & Blue alot to make yourself feel better. Glad you had that cry, it's stressful! No doubt about it!
Take care,
Deb

P.S. I've decided to give that extra bottle of calcium to my dragonsitter Jake, as he's run out. I hope that ok with you. He took care of my 5 dragons & gecko for the 3 days I was away last weekend & spends time with them every day I'm at work. I hope that doesn't mess up your supply. If you need it, let me know...honestly.

Deb - noooooo im glad you gave your calcium to you dragonsitter!!! :) i got some from the vet when i took her (the second vet) and she still has plenty of it, you were so nice to offer it to me. im all stocked up on it for now :) and he was out so that was sweet of you. and we have to treat our dragon-sitters REALLY good ... they take care of our babies!!!!
im glad you didnt spend the postage, its so CRAZY outrageous, and im glad it went to good use :) im am good to go, you are very generous though!!
and yessssssss i did have a good cry. and i did feel better. AND, i have a few jars of chicken an vegetables in the cabinet too ever since you mentioned it to me a few weeks ago ;)
i went to the store and got

carrot
(more) squash
sweet potato
banana/apple
(more) green bean

i fed her a syringe of each today, and some of it got into her ha ;)
she seemed to enjoy them all, especially that banana apple!
it can be a little messy as ya know! but she is SO SO SO GOOD about feedings. i also picked up some more pedialyte just b/c i felt like when she getting it, idk, it made more feel better about things. just a little gum rinse with a littel squirt of pediatlyte in each side of her mouth, like i was doing before. she seems to do well with pedialyte, and its only good for like 3(?) days after opening, by which time i will prob have the Electrolytes from Tracie.

she took a LONG WARM soak today and at the end gave me a pee and a poop :) she is now napping in the linen closet snuggled up in the corner on the carpet behind a suitcase. ADORABLE! i figure, im gonna give Lexi all the rest she wants, in and out of her tank, b/c i feel like she deserves it. and, needs it too. and i couldnt be happier she is crawling to her basking spot in the mornings on her own now.
im ok now, i was just in a mood, they happen! thanks for listening, means alot.
i am going to email some pics off my phone, and get them up either this evening or tomorrow :)
your a peach, a doll, a SWEETIE! ;)
teehee.
Lexi is doing well today :)
OH! i thought, ya know, i bet Blue would like a treat, so i gave her some sweet potato, banana, and green pea plus a little pedialyte. she isnt so messy to feed like that b/c her mouth works right, and she is able to lick it off her nose. she liked it :)
then Blue had a super super warm bath (i swear Blue, she likes the water almost hot hot!) ... then did alot of swimming, annnnnnd a poop!

my girls are doing well, an i will get some pics up ASAP!
~Em

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
mommisgurl":10g8tlwf said:
I know exactly how you feel Em..and just like Deb said,post as often as you'd like! I love to come on here and see all the new posts and updates..it seriously makes my day :)
She is most definately a miracle dragon...looking back and seeing all your progress,where you've come from,and where your going with her,makes me very happy..as well as be inspired! This whole experience has made me see that I'd love to become a sort of...dragon rescue basecamp xD Once I can get a place, I'll make a whole room dedicated to that..
And it's all because of YOU and LEXI..Within all the stresses,ups and downs everyday,all the money...you've done more than just take in this beautiful girl and make her all better again..you have enlightened us all as to what it means to be selfless and to help those who can't help themselves :)

I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason..you were ment to find Lexi,be afraid as to how much you could help her,decide to take her in reguardless,go through all these different processes to try to get her well again,try all these new things,ask all these questions..as well as being ment to see her flourish and grow..just live life like a beardie should..everything has happend for a reason :) Lexi is very blessed to have you..even if she had to go through 4 years of no care to do it... :banghead:

Reptar has had the phoenix worms,and lovesssss them. I had a problem with him when I first got him that he wasn't digesting all his worms either, and I would see atleast 4 in his poop..had me very worried! But now that I gave him some time to grow a bit,I havn't seen one in a while :) Just don't lose hope!

And your not making any kind of mistakes..your Learning! You have to do it one way or the other..and this is how! She loves you all the more nonetheless..so don't be hard on yourself at all. We are all here to help you! :blob5: :blob5: :blob8: :blob8:

you are so nice :)
i didnt know i inspired that in you to open a rescue!! yall and my dragons are the ones inspiring ME not the other way around!

i think that if you had the time and money to do that, it would an AMAAAAAAAZING thing to do. i mean, honestly, there is truly a need for them! and you love to help an care, so it would be so perfect. you could even get a little team of reptile lovers and make a big go of it. i mean hellllo we can ALL use help! ha! i think you should do it, and i think you would be great at it. once the place and the finances in order ... all you need is your heart and love to carry on an keep up with it. and you could probably get alot of sponsors and donations too. i would donate in a heartbeat!!! people would be able to give blankets, towels, meds, food, supplements, old equipment they arent using anymore, i mean, all that stuff that adds up and i bet people would jump at the chance to help! it would be so cool!
thats a wonderful thing to aspire to. and to tell ya the truth, i thought about it yesterday myself to tell you the truth, in my mind i imagined what it would be like. alot of work, well worth it and MUCH needed.
GO FOR IT!!!
i think things happen for a reason too.
and i think, i agree with you on her and i meant to be together. life is just one big enigma and i think that certain people and certain animals are meant to connect. i firmly believe that. like soul mates. i have felt that way with all my sweet animals. it was just simply, meant to be.
an i will totally stop kicking myself sometime *i think* ;) cant always promise that one lol.

it really is a learning process with a rescue, its just so different than keeping a healthy beardie that you have raised form a baby like Blue! b/c i know everything about her, her history, her likes and dislikes, and Blue is such a low maintenace beardie, she lives in a HUGE beautiful home of her own (heck sometimes i wanna crawl in there and live!) ... just the most easiest fattest happy lazy silly cute sweetheart i could ever have!!!
so to take on a beardie like Lexi is whole new expirience for me, but i would never ever ever ever ever change it.
seriously, yall are the inspiration.
and thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~Em

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Emily,
So glad to hear it is going well. I too am excited for school to start because I work for our school district and could use a paycheck as well. My two need new UVB bulbs the first check I get! :D I think it is great many of the members here are able to answer your questions and give great suggestions. Although I don't know much I am still pulling for Lexi. I also look forward to you updates posts about both Lexi and Bluebell. Keep on posting, I love it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom