taking on another beardie ... choices choice ahhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
awwwwww no i like to hear about Sonic!!! yeah thumb back through a few pages, i wrote you a little brumation tip guide thingie that might not be at all helpful ha! but ive been through it with Blue, so i feel ya!!!!

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
hey everyone!

just wanted to give you a Lexi upate :)
everything is going well, she was introduced to butterworms today, and acted the exact same way about them as she did the waxies ... "whatever ARE these things???" its so SO funny.
she got some butters and some roaches today, new UVB and hood isnt scheduled to arrive until tomorrow (bah! it took forever!), we got extra sun today and she is PASSED OUT in the linen closet under a pillow.

i actually got the chance to look up under her mouth to top ... i noticed on one side the jaw is so pushed in sooooooo far that i can almost see a row of teeth, but they are squeezed in SO close to the other part of the top jaw, i dont think they protrude down so that they are of any use to to her. on the other side, i only counted two little teeth. i never even thought to look up at the top, i guess i was so focused on the bottom row of teeth (or lack thereof)

im still confused about wether the Baytril is doing anything for her mouth rot.
she still has a bunch of clear thick saliva on the sides of her mouth, i dont know if this should be clearing up by now?
im so confused. and it doesnt help that her jawbones are pushed through her gums and are green/yellow, so its so hard to decide which and what is causing the issue of the "drool"
just not sure, and im close to being down with her Baytril ... i may have about four more doses left of the new Baytril the new vet gave me. :banghead: i probably should call the vet and ask. yeah, i should do that tomorrow.

she is coming off carnivoure care, getting it every three days now instead of everyday, since she is eating feeders so well and staying hydrated. her pooping and urates are fantastic.
the panacur has been stopped after its 5 day course, which is over.

im curious to see how much weight she has gained since the last visit, i will put her on my scales tomorrow and see!!!
her mouth is still just bad and confusing me!!! ahhhh!
i suppose i should have another fecal done on her? what do you all think? yay or nay?
i wish i understood all the damage and infection her mouthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

other than that, she seems to be a very happy girl :) she makes me melt.

Blue is being odd ... but Blue does go through "i dont want to get out bed" spells every now and then!!! diva! Blue is eating great an pooping great, she is just a little off. She has never been a super active beardie since she has entered adulthood. she is pretty much a shoulder beardie. she would MUCH rather hitch a ride around the house than make the trek across the floor to explore on her own. she likes to be on the shoulder, observing :)
so that isnt bothering me, its just something off, i cant pinpoint it exactly. im sure she knows something is up.

but Lexi is coming along and they both make me BEAM with happiness every day.
hope all of you are doing fantastic and i hope your beardies are doing WONDERRRRRRFUL!!!!
Lexi and Blue say hi to all of you and your dragons, xoxoxo they blow kisses your way!
:) :)
~Em

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Wait a couple of weeks before you get another fecal, sometimes it comes back positive when it's really negative, so waiting won't do her any harm. And yes, call the vet tomorrow and ask about the mouth rot & if Baytril is supposed to stop it. I would imagine the drool is because of the displacement of the bones, but I'm guessing. Another question for the vet. I'm sure he's a puzzled as you about those jaw bones, it's just amazing that she's doing so well with such a disability. Oh well, no point getting started on the previous owners :angry5: :banghead: , just want to break their jaws!

Thanks for the continuous updates. If your Blue is still a bit off after another few days, you might want to get a fecal done on her, just to make sure she's not carrying parasites. That can sometimes cause inactivity. Just a thought.

Have a great day tomorrow & glad that Lexi is eating wormies, so good for her!
My boys all say hi, I'm going to show them each her pic on the weekend & see what the reaction is!
Deb

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":9q6hmced said:
Wait a couple of weeks before you get another fecal, sometimes it comes back positive when it's really negative, so waiting won't do her any harm. And yes, call the vet tomorrow and ask about the mouth rot & if Baytril is supposed to stop it. I would imagine the drool is because of the displacement of the bones, but I'm guessing. Another question for the vet. I'm sure he's a puzzled as you about those jaw bones, it's just amazing that she's doing so well with such a disability. Oh well, no point getting started on the previous owners :angry5: :banghead: , just want to break their jaws!

Thanks for the continuous updates. If your Blue is still a bit off after another few days, you might want to get a fecal done on her, just to make sure she's not carrying parasites. That can sometimes cause inactivity. Just a thought.

Have a great day tomorrow & glad that Lexi is eating wormies, so good for her!
My boys all say hi, I'm going to show them each her pic on the weekend & see what the reaction is!
Deb

HI DEB!
you know, i think you might just be a genuis ... maybe all that wierd drool IS from the jaw being so displaced. that totally NEVER occurred to me.
i remember the vet saying it was a typical sign of stomatitis ... but them again she doesnt have a regular mouth by any means, so im totally going to bring that up and ask him. SMARTY YOU!!!! :)

ok, i will wait on the fecal with her.
maybe i should get one done on Blue. i mean by personality she is a pretty low activity beardie, she's always liked to cling to me. total shoulder beardie.
but regardless i totally should have one done on her. thing is she ONLY poops in the bath. that girl will not poop in her viv. since Feb when she woke up i cleaned poop one maaaaaaybe two times out of her viv to this date. not complaining though!!! ha! no way.

she HOLDS it, its crazy. but then again most everyday she does get a bath, sometimes every other day. she pretty much poops everyday, but just in the water.
she is obsessed with water, she is a mega swimmer!!! thats the place she does most of her "excersice" ... she is swimmin' fool. LOVES to swim.
is doing a fecal on a beardie the same as like a dog or cat, you just get the "specimen" and take it in?
oye vey, thats gonna be hard to do with her.
ha! dangit. hmmm, what to do, what to do.

i think the vet is, as we all are, puzzled as to how much damage an distortion has been done to her jaw and mouth. i mean he can point out where it was broken, where it tried to heal, he can identify the bones growing up inside the mouth, but putting all the pieces together on how everything is working in there seem kind of hard to do ... its beyond me! but you have a really good point, and it makes sense.

tell the boys hi and give them hugs from us!
i hope your crew is doing great, im sure they are, they are a powerhouse bunch. i love them!
much love,
~Em

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Leo & Gabriel only poop in the bath, too, but I have a small net scooper (can't think of the correct name) that I use to scoop out the poop, let it drip a bit & then I put it in a piece of tin foil. Works just fine. My vet has no problem with me taking in just a fecal without the beardie to have it examined, then doses according to weight, which I keep faithfully every 2 weeks or so. The last 2 fecals I took in for Gabriel, I just took them in, dropped them off in the am & picked up the meds on the following Saturday. I'm taking Gabriel in this next time with his fecal for a wellness check & to show him off to the vet (I've had the same vet since 2006) as she hasn't seen him since I first brought him in over 3 mo ago. So try that with Bluebelle, the vet will just need her weight, just in case there are parasites so can dose the meds.

Well you have a few questions for the vet, that's for sure. I still can't get over how well she's doing, she is a really miracle beardie :love5: :love5:

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Em,

I was actually going to say the same thing as Sweetie, the saliva could definitely be apart of the mouth deformity, and likely if that cannot be fixed will remain an issue throughout her life, unfortunately. Never the less do not get discouraged, you have great beardie instincts and you have done an amazing job thus far.

But enough about Lexi.....onto Blue Belle (my aunt actually had a cat named that)

Just wanted to share a story about my Emmalee. She is an extremely lazy beardie too, always has been. When she was a baby she refused to chase crickets, absolutely refused. I would have to push them close to her, once or twice getting bit in the process. Now as an adult she went into her first brumation at 9-10 months which is normally unheard of...but not for my little princess. Now she is only quote unquote is active at the end of June, all of July and all of August, slowing again by end September I say quote unquote as she still lays around most of the day and moves from one basking area to the other or a cool spot. I can actually make hunt a little during this time too, and throw super worms three to four feet in front of her so she chases them, otherwise she would truly just sit there. The rest of the year is up and down, sometimes she would not get out of bed unless I dumped her out of bed, sometime she sleeps in longer than usual, and sometimes she cools sides all day, this last for a couple weeks at a time, but the only thing that truly breaks her from this is the outdoor sun. When we don't have any it is a constant tug of war. The other part of the year, she brumates. She has never tested for parasite during these period of inactivity or "acting strange", so for her this is just normal, frustrating and worrisome, but normal, and after three years, i am slowly getting used to the idea that she is just a spoiled little girl.

Thanks for the updates, take care.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
howdy there bayou yay glad to hear from you yay yay!!! :)

CRAZY how much Blue and Emmy sound alike!
BlueBelle went into FULL ON brumation at 8 months. and she didnt just "semi" brumate, she slept like a rock for about 3.5 months. a warm bath would wake her just a little, but just an open eye to be like "seriously?" ... i missed her so much but it was just her time to go down ... i remember being so jealous of people that had beardies that had never brumated! but then i just accepted it and took it as her doing what her body was telling her to do, and that is was a healthy thing.

i was REALLY happy when she woke up though.
Emmalee and her sound like soul sistahs!!! im serious ha they really do.
awwwww sweet Emmalee and her laziness!! teeheeeeeeeee.

im so glad you wrote that, makes me feel better about Blue and her personality.
Blue does chase down things sometimes, mostly more like attacks her blue bowl when i put in roaches or supers, when it comes to food, her activity levels do go up a bit! she loves her food!
but generally if one gets lose, she will go after it like a bulldog. not always, but loose ones usually dont last long at all.
she a ferocious eater. like omg, woah there girl.

and again, HELLO ... the sunlight does the SAME thing to BlueBelle!! after about fifteen minutes of absorbing the sun, she just perks up like "hi! hi! hi there, im awesome, who what when how scamper scamper im alert im alert wooohooo"
they sound sooooooooo much alike, its crazy.
and yes sometimes Blue just chooses to stay in bed some days. then some days, she is up and alert and like "let's DO this" ...

i did notice, like your Emmalee, that she slowed down last September ... in October she was like always on her cool side, and November she was out like a light. i should have gotten a fecal done before she brumated, just as a precaution, i know now to do that if she does do the same thing again this year.
i am going to get one as soon as i can to clear that all up to make sure.

thanks for sharing all that about your Emmy with me, that was really awesome of you to do.

thanks Sweetie for the poop net suggestion! i will totally do that. and i will ask him about the "drool" too. on my to do list for th day.
i will call my vet today and just make sure the will be ready take a quick drop off beardie poop from me :shock:
teehee. oh we are a loony bunch.

THANKS YALL!!! i love hearing from yall so much.
Lexi looks soooooo pretty today, all light and bright creamy yellow with her purple sides, so pretty :) love my girls so much.
they are so different, like night and day. i like that :)
much love,
~Em

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
hi everyone :)
i just wanted to update yall on Lexi ...
There are some good things that are happening, she is now crawling over to her basking spot (eventually) in the morning, on her own. in the past three days, i havent had to put her there (knock on wood) ... i used a hammock that Blue used when she was a baby, put it down low with a pillow as a little tiny ramp, and she seems to like it, she has been on it he last two days.

three days ago she ate about 10 small butterworms and 10 extra small roaches, but she hasnt eaten since then. i dont know if it was just alot and she is still full ... she pooped the day after, and she pooped again yesterday, both looked grea, and big :shock: for her!
i tried to offer some roaches yesterday, she did try to catch a few, but she kept missing, her head/eye/hand/tounge coordination is not good, it was like she gave up on trying to get them in her mouth. but i know she CAN get them, because she has before. Im thinking maybe she just still wasnt that hungry?
she looks at worms still ... totally baffled. i dont know if the butters just dont move enough for her to notice or understand or or what.
im *hoping* she just got a big stomach full is empting it out by pooping, and maybe she will eat today.
if not, i'm wondering if i should mix up some Carnivore Care and try her back on that every other day. i have pretty much got her off of it. idk if it was too early to stop it really thinking back.
i am desperatley trying to get greens into her, i need a blender ahhhhhhhh. right now its just still green pea baby food.

her Baytril finished yesterday, and that too might be an issue. like finally took a toll on her appetite and her body maybe?
note to self - get some probiotics emily!!!

other than THAT, she is doing really good! she now moves like a normal beardie when you pick her up, the ability to wiggle a little like "hey what huh? oh its you, ok :)" she couldnt do that before at alllllllllllll. very very limp she was.

and she can even hold alot of her tail up when she is outside, she couldnt do that before, and i LOVE to watch that tail go up.
her arms are still her arms, i think thats just a part of Lexi that will always be. i just hope it doesnt hurt her to walk like that, but she gets around walking so well, so i think its ok? i hope so.
she even attempted to jump out of the bathroom sink during a soak yesterday and i was like GO LEXI!
never woul have made the jump (thankfully) but she made a leap. i was proud of her, she has done a massive turnaround from day one.
still a ways to go, and i feel so bad that sometimes she can catch a bug and other times her head just twitches and she cant keep up, but "still" food doesnt seem to entice her. so its like, well, dang.
ive done raoches on the floor, in a bowl, i suppose if she is really hungry, like ive seen her before, she will get them. its just kind of sad to watch! but when she does get one its an AWESOME feeling :)

ive been paying extra TLC attention to Blue, which i think is making Blue happier. she is not so mopey dopey lately, buttttttttttttttttt she still is a lazy daisy. why i have the urge to make everything rhyme this morning is beyond me. ha! i gotta stop that.

so Lexi is good, im going to work out the food issue and get some more pro-biotics, or maybe some more soy yogurt. im really keeping up diligently with the liquid calcium which has truly helped her soooooo much. im glas her anitbiotics are done, i was starting to worry about the effects on them on her body. she is still a drooler, but i do think jaw mis alignment has something to do with it.

well, we love you all, and if anyone has any thoughts on the whole eating situation, chime on in!
i will let you know if she eats today :)
have a very BEARDIFUL day all!!
~Em

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Hello,

It could be the Baytril fooling around with her appetite, but it also could be the normal beardie stubbornness. I would not worry too much yet, it has not bee all that long. However, the soy yogurt should help, and keep offering those peas. If you can I would also try to find squash, carrot, apple, baby food to change things up a little before you get your hand blender. Goo to hear she is getting stronger by the day, GO LEXI GO!!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I agree, switch the veggies around. Squash is listed at www.beautifuldragons.com as a daily veggie, so you can give her that, then the other veggies switched around. As for probiotics, Acidopholiz (sp) is great & I've been giving Serrepeptase to Lonzo. It's a liquid that Tracie sells that is a silkworm enzyme. It's a natural pain killer, anti-inflammatory as well. And there are other properties to it. Since I've given it to Lonzo (it goes by weight, so as he's 540g, he gets .54 ml per day by syringe.) He seems to feel better since I've been giving it to him, so that would be something to try with Lexi, won't do her any harm.

I've always mixed Carnivore Care with squash when my boys aren't eating for whatever reason. It seems to work & they get their appetite back within a few days. And I do find that they sometimes won't continue eating their supers when they miss. Leo's eyesight seems to be getting worse, as far as his aim to get supers & if he misses a few times he gives up. If you put the bugs @ roaches in a small glass container, can Lexi get them out? That might improve her appetite as she won't be "missing" her feeders.

So there are a few suggestions for her. I'm glad you're fussing over Blue gain, she must be missing the attention!

Lexi still seems to be getting stronger every day, I mean it takes alot of energy & strength to try to jump out of the sink. WAY TO GO LEXI :D :D

Love the updates, to please continue,
take care
Deb

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
thank for the suggestions yall! i never thought about branching out from peas and squash, but it wouldnt be such a bad thing, i dont knwo why i stuck so firmly to those ... would carrot babyfood be okay, i know carrots are not ideal for them often, but i could be totally wrong about that. i suppose at this point getting different nutritions into is important, so i will DEF switch it up. thanks so much!
and i forgot all about the extra jar of squash babyfood i had in the cabinet! duh emily!

Lexi ate some roaches today, but her poop kind of worried me ... there was several butterworms in there, partly digested but i mean no mistaking they were the butters. i mean they seemed to be "empty" like just the outsides of them, but they really have much of an exo-skeleton, there are so soft bodied, soooooooo im thinking hmmm, maybe no butters for Lexi? it was pretty massive poop ... but there were about five or six in there. eeeep?

she seems to digest the roaches very well so far.
she ate some mustard greens on her own today, first time EVER! not alot, but hey i was very very happy.

i will try to Acidopholiz and even the Serrepeptase - i had no idea that even existed more or less all the wonderful properties it has.
i need to visit Tracie's webiste, but i cant find the link, i used to have it starred but its not there ...
any of you have it by chance?

im really excited to try something to get her tummy back into a nice, easy, smooth state, i know the antibiotics and panacure had to affected Lexi in some ways ya know? excpecially this Serrepeptase!! i will have to check out the prices, im amped to try anything to help Lexi, always.

i've tried using a ceramic shallow food bowl for her, she did much better today, im assuming b/c she was hungry and she just wasnt as hungry yesterday.
she missed alot still in the bowl, i put one at a time on the floor and she got some, its hit and miss with her! she tries so hard though!!
i do try both the bowl and the floor though, i figure between the bowl and the floor she's gonna catch some :)
and she did today, little sweetheart she is.
as ever yall are so awesome to me an Lexi and BlueBelle :) :) :)
~Em

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
awww thankyou!!!
and i will get some carrot babyfood tomorrow :) :)
thank you so much for the link too
~Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom