taking on another beardie ... choices choice ahhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Poor little girl. It sounds like your doing everything you can for her. Sounds like it will take a while for her to recover, but at least she knows she is in good hands and can have the live she should have at to start with.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
thank yall ... i did stop the panacur. she had only had one dose, i didnt give her one yesterday and then im glad yall suggested to stop it, b/c i wont give her one today. i will just stop it until she is better. thank you so much!!!

i have come down with QUITE the tummy bug myself!!! the paranoid side me is like "oh my god SALMONELLA!" ... ha. man im like struggling with this bug. blahhhhhhh.

Deb - i gave her a big hug from ya!!!! she is doing squash and green bean baby food. it was the only green jar i could find in my panic moment at the grocery store the day i got her. im sure there are better ones for her out there ... any suggestions?? :)
and yes, you are totally right, she did poop on the car ride home, and a littttle teeny bit at the vet. oh i forgot! there was little string of poop she pooped in her afternoon soak the second day (?) ... my days are mixed up! ha! im losing my gusto! get it together Emily :!: :!: :!:
she took her baby food very well this morning after alot of coaxing with the tip of the syringe, i think she finally found a spot him her mouth that maybe wasnt so sore that she could get some kind of grasp on the tip of it. that seems to be a hard thing for her, i mean her mouth must be just so sensitive!! oh man it must just be so ouchy!!!! but she got down her babyfood and everything else too eventually :) just gotta find that one little place where she can take the syringe in at. :)

its funny because during the whole feeding/med session we have twice a day, i sweet talk to her so much. i just talk talk talk. and i tell her some things are "nonnnn - negotiable" teehee. like when i pull out the Baytril from the fridge im like "ok this one is a nonnnnnnn - negotiable sweety" and then i tell her why and all this other stuff like im talking her non-stop. idk why, i do it with all my animals, i guess we all do! if someone put a tape recorder in all of us pet owners households, they would hear the most HYSTERICAL THINGS .. ahahaha.

Jess and Esther and dylanravenj - yall are awesome, thanks so much! i did give her a little applesauce with a little olive oil this morning along with her sqash babyfood, green bean baby food, liqui calcium, pedialyte, and Baytril ... :shock: ... its a process doing this!!! she got a a warm soak this morning like usual, then her feeding, then her Baytril, and etc etc etc :) lol. it just goes on and on! i wouldnt have it any other way ;) thank you so much :) :)

Amy2 and wildnanny88 and Bwalter - thank so much for the encouragement and im trying not to kick myself in the arse for giving the roaches. it was just a whirlwind of everything and i made some spur of the moment decisions b/c i was in this mental tornado of WHAT THE HELLLLO do i do, what do i try, all that. like ahhhhhhhhh! but thank so much, i appreciate you all!!!! :D
(i have a feeling until she poops i still am going to kick myself for the roaches, im a glutton for punishment ahhhh)

im watching BlueBelle right now ... she was freaking out about 5 minutes ago, running around the tank at the sliding doors trying to get out, and i was like OH I KNOW THAT LOOK!!! POOP TIME! that girl will NOT poop in her viv unless absolutely necessary! so got her and got a warm sink going, she dived in and BAM! poop. like clockwork! she's a TRIP! she's so healthy, i feel so lucky to have had this forum a year ago, to make her the way is she now. the first two months i had it ALLLLLLLLLL wrong, i remember that so clearly. it was because of this forum and all the people in it, YALL!, that Blue has grown up into a beautiful, happy, and healthy beardie.
AND ... now comes Lexi, and i never knew that all the knowledge i gained over the past year about dragons would come SO much into play these past couple of days with Lexi ... and then all the HELP about things i didnt and dont know that you guys have just showered me with is beyond my comprehension. if i could give each of you a HUGE HUG I WOULD!!!!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( everyone )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
an Lexi and Blue give hugs to you too!!!
I will get some pictures up soon, she looks different from day one i think!?!?? i mean i really think she does. maybe its just me, idk ... yall will have to tell me ok? :)
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO -
Emily

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hi EMily, You're doing a great job, don't ever think you're not. I would try to find Heintz chiicken with veggies to add to the squash babyfood, just to give her a bit of protein. It's not the jar of just chicken, but that wouldn't be so bad either, it would have more fat & she needs the fat, so see what you can find when you go back to the grocery store. The Carnivore Care & liquid calcium that you'll be picking up will help her, too, she just needs to gain weight & the Baytril will eventually help with the infection. I'm so glad you're going to this other vet who really knows what he's doing. My vet has a great amount of experience, too, I've been seeing her since 2006, so it's great that you have him. You'll have to keep us updated & I love hearing from you daily, to update on how Lexi is doing. Keep up the good work, even if it is really alot of work for you!
Take care
Deb

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
quick question ....

for her state and her being so frail and skinny, what would you reccomend the basking spot temp be? its been lower than an average spot at about 90 ... i added another bulb, a 40 watt to the double dome, and it is too much i think, because the temp has rapidly gone up to 100 now ... and i dont even think its done producing its heat.
i KNOW i have a 10 watt somewhere, i just have to find it.
i dont want to over-heat the sweet girl you know? oh man that would be terrible!
but i dont want to under heat her either ... its tricky b/c im not sure which way she should have it ...

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
If you can keep it at 100F that would be a good temp, but not higher. What's your original bulb wattage besides the 40. A 60 watt regular household bulb can usually generate up to 95, but if you have that 10W to add to what you had instead of the 40, you don't want to over heat her, that wouldn't help her & she's not a baby, so higher than 100W wouldn't do her any good, I don't think. my crew like it at 95, but it gets hotter than that, maybe 105 at the highest, but they're all healthy, like your Bluebelle. What temp do you have for Bluebelle? Temps are such sticky things, see what others advise, but I would take out the 40 if it's getting past 100 or 105F.
Deb

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
oh thank you thank you!
i know temps are tricky little things!!!
Blue likes it at about 95. her bridge gets a litttle hotter than her platform, she switches between the two. i just did a temp gun reading and right now Blue's platform is reading a 94 an her bridge is reading a 98. she's on her bridge now gaping a little, taking it all in ;)

i was using a 60 watt ... and i was getting fluctuations on Lexi's rock of between 88 and 90 temp gun reading.
then again, it might have been an older 60w and not producing as much heat as a new one, but i added a 40w just to get a feel for things, and it shot up big time! like no no no nooooo.
so i took the 40w and the 60w out both out, and i just put in a single 75w ... im keeping a really close eye on it. i turned the ceiling fan on low to maybe help it balance out. it was just getting way too hot on her i think, yup.
i will see how this 75w does, i just now did a reading and Lexi's spot is at 95 ... but it could go up still because it wasnt that ago i switched it ... so i might just need to find a new fresh 60w ... what do you think? and THANK YOU!!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I think the 75 should do it, but keep watch it takes about an hour to get the regular temp. Let me know, as temps for her would be really important. 100-105 would be ideal. Good luck!

wilddanny88

Juvie Member
blue11":1wgdtmwv said:
Blue likes it at about 95. her bridge gets a litttle hotter than her platform, she switches between the two. i just did a temp gun reading and right now Blue's platform is reading a 94 an her bridge is reading a 98. she's on her bridge now gaping a little, taking it all in ;)
Guy likes his basking temp low as well. Oh btw, I know its quite early in the rescue but does it look like Lexi has gained any weight? I know this has to be a HUGE step up from those terrible conditions she was in. I know she HAS to be showing an increase in activity now too eh? She probably does look different from day one, ESPECIALLY her colors. Once again, Good luck!

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Esther19":xropmaz1 said:
You can mix the oil in with baby food squash, or canned pumpkin witn no spices. Keep up the good work, dear.

This is exactly what I do. Emmy has had it a thousand times. I have also used it with applesauce. Works really well coupled with the baths. Just 2-3 drops of olive oil mixed in with the baby food is good, and give it to her daily.

Do not beat yourself up over the roaches. I am sure she will pass them soon, upon further reading I guess she already did :blob8:

Any who...baby food. I use it a lot for Emmy, mostly in the fall/winter cause she has never eaten veggies the way she should. I never inset the syringe into her mouth, but just drop the mixture on her nose until she laps it up. I have read horror stories about beardies biting down on the syringes. I always buy the baby food that lists the ingredient with water, with no added sugar salt etc. I have used the chicken with vegetable, chicken in broth, carrots, peas, squash, strawberry banana, apple, pear, blueberry apple....

I have also made my own mixtures but using a hand mixer or blender. I mix a little of the in season vegetable with a bit of water and blend really fine. I find a hand mixer does this the best. Then I keep the mixture in the fridge for upto two weeks. To the baby food and the slurry mixture I always add my pinch of vits before drawing up into the syringe as well.

I also agree with Sweetie about the slightly higher basking temps, this will really help with her overall digestion as well.

You are doing a great job, hang in there, and good luck on finding that new vet, I think this is going to be a much better match :D

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
WE HAVE POOP!!!
i repeat, we have a poop!!!
wasnt in the best of places in the house on the carpet but i dont care!!!!!!! it was a BIG poop, alot of water b/c she has been getting SO MUCH water as well as pedialyte. but i saw FORMED (not the best form BUT FORM!!!) poop in there!!! it was alot! i feel soooooooooooooooo much better now wow. hey i bet she does too!!! i had in her in bath for about 15 minutes, took her out, and she started walking around the living room like soooooooooo CUTE!!! her army crawl walk. she was just a curious little bee, army crawling about, but her back legs are MUCH more supportive than they were before! i was like YES YES YES!!! she even went down two steps :shock: on the second steps ... i saw it coming ... but i couldnt run get a paper towel ... i was vidoing her walking around, and there go hte back legs out ... poop position ... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd BAM. it was runny with a formed section in it, so i put her in some more warm water really quick to clean her off and then bolted to clean up the carpet. YES, i have it on video. i would post it, but when she began to poop i start *ahem* cussing. not AT her, lol, just out of reaction ... "ohhhhhhh _______ ... ohhhhhhhh __________ good girl!!! CUT camera!"
lol. i dont think its rated PG at ALL. :shock:
i was SO HAPPY!!!!
OH!
an i picked up the Carnivoure Care today, she took some pretty well this afternoon, AND i got some chicken and chicken broth baby food which she seemed to like, then Baytril, liquid calium, then water to rinse out her gums an such.

so YES she DOES look different and has gained some weight :) :) :)

SHE IS THE BIGGEST TROOPER EVER. i have NO clue where her strength to get better comes from, but WOW.
when she out of the viv, her colours are soooooooooooo pretty. in the viv, she is like BlueBelle, under the heat she gets a little darker and her belly gets marks, but she's just being natural and well, she's never had the heat so she absorbing it up nice and good, my sweet little one!!!!
im taking pics tomorrow JUST for yall :) :) :) ... i have some now, but this tummy bug has got me down and out in a bad way. i will get the pics up tomorrow :)
have i told you lately ..... THAT YOU ARE ALL RADICAL PEOPLE?!?!??!?!?!
her basking spot is higher now, at 100 ... im hearing from yall that is ok, so im going to leave it alone. i was thinking she made need a little lower but ive never had a beardie in this condition so i REALLY appreciate yalls temperature advice. ALOT.

you know i realized when i brought her home ... we do not have a blender. how weird is that?? everyone has a blender. lol ... i was like, "wait ... why do i NOT have a blender?" ... so odd of us to not have one!!! ha. strange.
YAY FOR POOP! YAY FOR POOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xoxoxoxoxoxo
Emily

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey Irwinshealth !!! Yay you have been so great this whole time!
Yes i was. Ha! I moved QUICK!!!! lol
And i have this REALLY GREAT pet stain remover i bought when my dog was sick a few years ago. I bought it at the vet it is so amazing. Havent used in ages but boy did i today! I re-watched the video and just starting laughing and laughing. Oh man. I have a feeling this wont be the only time, she is just gonna poop when it hits and it wil be messy and super smelly like that but hopefully not for much much long :) ... i was just so flippin' happy she pooped!! :) :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: poop dance!

Amy2

Hatchling Member
Yay!!!! She pooopedd!! :blob5: :blob8: :blob8: That is awesome!!

That just shows what a wonderful job you are doing with her!! :D

I hope you start feeling better real quick...I hate stomach bugs :cry: (((Hugs)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom