Swollen Toe and Knee. What could be causing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aferg34

o49Q9Mu.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated. Looks like grout. Seems like a trip to the vet is necessary.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. The swelling could be caused by MBD or gout. Another possible he could have hurt his toe on the hammock. Beardies get their nails caught in them and can cause injury. How long has he had swollen joints?

kerib86

Mine is having the exact same issue! Left knee looks a bit knobby and the right ankle is swelling. Appt tomorrow, update with yours !???

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those areas look like they are shedding, or not?
I certainly hope it isn't gout, he is awfully young! Can you review your tank setup for us, such as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation, foods offered, etc so we can be sure it is all correct?
How long have these areas been swollen?

Tracie

kerib86

I've been in tears all day my prognosis was correct...she had metabolic gout....elbows, ankle and knee as well as crystals in her urates which were also developing in her joints...no cure.
.happened suddenly even with beSt lighting you can buy and careful husbandry...we just can not replicate the environment to where they really belong...all I can do until we come up with a good medication is give her 5ml of tart cherry juice concentrate, to aid in breaking dowm uric acids, metacam for the pain and swelling and plenty of water everyday....

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's too bad about the diagnosis. The dark cherry juice should help along with the extra hydration. Did the vet prescribe Allopurinol? That can be administered to keep the gout under control going forward. There is no cure but it can be managed. Unfortunately this is becoming rather common. While it can be related to diet or environment, I think a lot of it comes down to poor genetics due to sloppy mass breeding practices.

kerib86

Absolutely and no he didn't provide that medication should I order it myself and dose? She's 108 grams which was better than 88 grams she weighed last time....I don't want it to progress :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The weight gain is good. I'd ask the vet about the allopurinol. Otherwise Tracie might be able to help you with it. I'd get the dark cherry juice/extract going in the meantime though.

kerib86

Yeah I got some tart cherry extract **** was expensive ! But worth it. Gave her 5ml of that, more water, and her food paste...it just seems like it's spreading all over :(

kerib86

Thank you for that....is there a real quality of life dealing with this for her? Even through daily medications will she be in pain and it continue to worsen?? :( this is just so sad..

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, it is gout then, poor thing.
It is essential that she gets the allopurinol because that helps to inhibit uric acid production.
Do you think the would prescribe it for her? It will likely get worse if not treated.
They can live a good quality of life, if it is managed properly without much of any pain.
Be sure the greens are low oxalate greens.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

kerib86

Thank you....I'm so scared and sad for her I can't believe this is happening to my baby...where can I purchase that medicine for her? Do you sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikeb
Top Bottom