Swollen toe. Broken?,

TinyJenx

Beardie name(s)
Sol
Hey all.

My dragon, Sol, has a swollen digit on his right front foot. I noticed it after he had fallen down in his enclosure after climbing up a hammock about 2 weeks ago. He also gave himself a small abrasion on his face. I have since moved things so he can't do this again.

Since then, the swelling hasn't really changed. I noticed after clipping his nails that the swollen digit's nail quick is now dead. He doesn't react to it being clipped and the blood supply is no longer there. He's doing some patchy sheds around his feet and legs which is apparent in the photos.

Does this seem like a broken toe to you folks?

Husbandry information:
Sol is almost 3yo, 440g and 18in long. He's in a 4x2x2 with organic topsoil and playsand as substrate. His basking temp is 105F and he has a Reptisun 10.0 T5HO that's been replaced within the last 12 months. He gets rotated salads daily and 1-2x per week he gets a mixture calcium dusted Dubia and BSFL with mealworms and superworms as treats.

Attachments

• PXL_20231012_011036745.jpg
    PXL_20231012_011036745.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20231012_011023164.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231012_011023164.MP.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 55

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey all.

My dragon, Sol, has a swollen digit on his right front foot. I noticed it after he had fallen down in his enclosure after climbing up a hammock about 2 weeks ago. He also gave himself a small abrasion on his face. I have since moved things so he can't do this again.

Since then, the swelling hasn't really changed. I noticed after clipping his nails that the swollen digit's nail quick is now dead. He doesn't react to it being clipped and the blood supply is no longer there. He's doing some patchy sheds around his feet and legs which is apparent in the photos.

Does this seem like a broken toe to you folks?

Husbandry information:
Sol is almost 3yo, 440g and 18in long. He's in a 4x2x2 with organic topsoil and playsand as substrate. His basking temp is 105F and he has a Reptisun 10.0 T5HO that's been replaced within the last 12 months. He gets rotated salads daily and 1-2x per week he gets a mixture calcium dusted Dubia and BSFL with mealworms and superworms as treats.
Please get rid of the hammock replace it w/ a fleece or a cloth one- I am assuming it a green mesh or a grass one? I would lower your surface basking temp to 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - make sure your UVB is in the tank directly over a piece of basking decor 12-15 inches - you can use some raw unfiltered honey on the toe to prevent infection -- I am going to have AHBD take a look at the toe
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Does it bother him at all or does he walk + jump normally ? If it doesn't bother him it might be fine but if he's in pain or if it turns red or black you could have a vet check it.

TinyJenx

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sol
Please get rid of the hammock replace it w/ a fleece or a cloth one- I am assuming it a green mesh or a grass one? I would lower your surface basking temp to 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - make sure your UVB is in the tank directly over a piece of basking decor 12-15 inches - you can use some raw unfiltered honey on the toe to prevent infection -- I am going to have AHBD take a look at the toe
@AHBD
Absolutely. Thank you so much. I've been soaking it in betadine and putting manuka honey on it as well.

TinyJenx

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sol
Does it bother him at all or does he walk + jump normally ? If it doesn't bother him it might be fine but if he's in pain or if it turns red or black you could have a vet check it.
He's moving around, eating and behaving normally. He seems to hold that toe upwards, though. I'll bring him in if I see any changes. Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, he most likely hurt it on the hammock
which is pretty common for those types of hammocks. I'm not sure if it's broken but he
might have at least sprained it since it is so
swollen. It looks like it's going to shed, also.
As Karrie suggested, you can try using some
raw unpasteurized honey on the nail bed area
to ward off infection. Hopefully it will heal up
without him losing the toe. The nail bed might
just be damaged to the point where he will lose
his nail. Definitely if it doesn't improve you can
get a vet to take a look at it.

Tracie

TinyJenx

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sol
Hello,

I agree, he most likely hurt it on the hammock
which is pretty common for those types of hammocks. I'm not sure if it's broken but he
might have at least sprained it since it is so
swollen. It looks like it's going to shed, also.
As Karrie suggested, you can try using some
raw unpasteurized honey on the nail bed area
to ward off infection. Hopefully it will heal up
without him losing the toe. The nail bed might
just be damaged to the point where he will lose
his nail. Definitely if it doesn't improve you can
get a vet to take a look at it.

Tracie
Thank you so much for your response. I'll keep on treating it and will bring him in if it the toe's condition worsens. You folks are great at soothing my worried brain. ☺️

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We are all happy to help out! I hope his toe heals up, bless him. They do tend to heal up slowly but
hopefully it will get back to normal without a vet visit. 💞

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom