Swollen beard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenon1

So I've noticed that my 4-year-old beardie's beard got kinda large/swollen a few days ago and stayed like that so I'm kinda worried. Can anyone tell me what might be causing it and if I should take her to the vet?

Here's the photo:
WxcdKzQ.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sometimes it just develops in mature, well fed dragons and is normal. Just watch that she doesn't have any food stuck back there [ if she opens her mouth ] and watch that she doesn't have a problem breathing. It's usually not a problem but sometimes can be a sign of an R.I., especially if you see excess saliva, gaping, coughing, etc.

Xenon1

Original Poster
AHBD":1mqmxi4y said:
Hi there, sometimes it just develops in mature, well fed dragons and is normal. Just watch that she doesn't have any food stuck back there [ if she opens her mouth ] and watch that she doesn't have a problem breathing. It's usually not a problem but sometimes can be a sign of an R.I., especially if you see excess saliva, gaping, coughing, etc.

Thank you! I'm a bit calmer now. She did have a piece of red chicory stuck in her throat but I don't see it anymore so I think it's gone. She only opens her mouth when she's basking, but sometimes her mouth is slightly (like 1 mm) open for no reason but she's been doing this for a while now so I'm not that concerned. Anyways, thank you again for your reply, it really helped out!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! BTW, I noticed that you keep her on the wood chips so if she had one in her throat that's a definite reason to change her substrate ASAP. You can use a sand/topsoil mix which is very safe and passes right through if accidentally ingested. My beardies have been kept that way and none ever had a problem. Other owners keep beardies on tile but I personally don't like it, I think it hurts their joints over time. But get rid of the wood chips for sure.

Xenon1

Original Poster
Yeah, about that, that was the only substrate the store where I buy supplies for my reptiles had atm but I will definitely change it. Personally, I'm not a fan of loose particle substrates because they are annoying to clean and get everywhere so I'll probably try to keep her on tiles but if I notice that she doesn't like it I will check other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom