super worms

Status
Not open for further replies.
are super worms a good staple for my butterbean?????
she really loves them better than crickets,which i hate, they stink,and are
nasty,so i wouldn't mind if i didn't have to purchase anymore.
thanks,butterbeans mom, :blob8:

LittleRob

Hatchling Member
Umm well like most on here we hate crikets because they stink. But than again im thinking your not so excited of becoming a dubia buyer like most of us have. They don't stink and are great. Superworms should be a treat, too much could cause them to be how do you say plugged up a bit. I would try a variety of meal worms wax worms silkworms but def give dubias a shot as they are pretty nutricious for them.

butterbean

Original Poster
i don't know about those dubia's, i live in s.c. and don't like them at all!!!!!!!
its like those pinkis she will never get them either, :lol:
thanks butterbeans mom :study:

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
butterbean":13a0b said:
are super worms a good staple for my butterbean?????
she really loves them better than crickets,which i hate, they stink,and are
nasty,so i wouldn't mind if i didn't have to purchase anymore.
thanks,butterbeans mom, :blob8:

As long as she's large enough for them, they make a good staple feeder. I use them with my girl and we both love them - I'm assuming she likes the taste and the wiggling, and I love how easy they are to care for and breed.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Buy 1000 supers, they're easy to keep. They can fill a dragon up :D and they'll keep the crickets from sending you to the poor farm.

Jeff

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Most supers are big, make sure to request for the smaller ones from the breeder, Im getting an order of 1000pcs for 500 pesos (Philippines money) tomorrow.

Thats about $10USD for 1000 pcs :) But I made sure they are smaller, 1 inch is the biggest.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Here they are all smaller supers:
IMG_6463800x600.jpg

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
Supers are considered acceptable as a staple. 16" or longer dragons only though.

They don't stink and they don't make noise.

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
I like supers while I'm waiting for my dubia collony to establish. I have found the supers to really like my dubia food (dubia mix from the roachguy, ground up cat food, fresh greens and veggies, etc).

I've been buying 50 at a time (max my local store carries). How long with a super live before morphing into an alien? I'd like to order more for less money, but don't know how long they will last.

Funny thing happened the other day... I like to think i'm kinda 'macho' and tough. But I still don't handle the supers or dubias by hand. I use feeding tongs. Well, sometimes the supers are so fast and strong the manage to flip right out of the tongs if I don't have a solid grip. We'll I had the plastic container in one hand and the tongs in the other. I picked up a super and lifted it out and it flipped and landed rigth on my and that was holding the container. I jumped like a little school girl (didn't scream though :oops: ). Luckily I didn't lose any supers (I think) as they were all hugging the bottom, but I had their bedding (bran? or whatever) that ended up all over my beardie tank, the floor, and my water dragon tank. The lizards just looked at me and shook their heads in shame... :mrgreen:

butterbean

Original Poster
yes, i know how u feel, i have been getting the supers out with thongs to,
but the other day, i was having such a time with then, i said, shoot, and just picked
them up with my fingers!!!! i don't know how ya'll stand those roaches!!!!!!!!!!
we have the same around here in s.c. and they are sooooo big!!!!
butterbean isn't getting them.
thanks for your emails,nancy :mrgreen:

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
Yeah, I remember those big nasty roaches that could fly and stuff when I lived down near Houston, Tx. But Dubia roaches are NOT like those luckily, or I couldn't do it either. :puke:

They don't look like those roaches. They don't fly like those roaches. They aren't as fast as those roaches. They can't climb like those roaches. They are a tropical species that you don't find here in the states. They are the easiest feeder to breed and maintain and provide a great food source for all ages of beardies (nymphs for babie beardies, juvies or adults for mature beardies). They also don't bite and don't stink. So they are WAY better than crickets. They don't escape (any more than a super would). Actually i've had supers chew a hole through the plastic at the air hole and escape - dubias can't do that. If left in the tank with the beardie, they can't bite your beardie at night like crickets and I think supers. Supers have to be seperated and while breeding and caring for them isn't rocket science, dubias are much more simple since they don't lay eggs and the live born babies are just smaller versions of the adults so no need for seperation and all that.

My 2 cents :wink:

MAJ

Hatchling Member
WAFisherman":f064e said:
How long with a super live before morphing into an alien? I'd like to order more for less money, but don't know how long they will last.

Godd question. The last batch of worms I produced is at least about 8 months old now (probably 6 months as feeder sized), and they are still going strong.
They need to be isolated in order to start pupating, and will keep on going until that happens. I have had some start to pupate in the bin, but this was only when stock was getting very low (only a few worms left at the time) and some were able to isolate themselves enough in their bedding to start the process. As long as you have a decent number of worms, though, this is not likely to happen.
As long as you keep them hydrated (carrot pieces, etc.) and change their bedding when necessary, they will last for months.

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
Awesome, thanks for the info! I had one escape a long time ago. I found it a month or so later and it was in alien form and freaked me out at first. Good to know I don't have to worry about that happening in their containers together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom