Stitch and Sydney- New pics pg 22!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rescued a beardie yesterday, and am looking for a little support group overall for the most part, and any advice you have to give... and hopefully to watch this little one progress from pitaful to fat and sassy over the next months!!! For some quick background info...I'm a long time lurker of several bearded dragon forums over the past 7 years, and I've had 2 beardies over the past 6.5 years, but have always been a 1 beardie household (until today). My first I had for 5 years, before he passed from a long term illness, and then I've had a new baby for just over a year.
This one ended up with me yesterday. I'm not entirely sure of all the details, but he ended up with a wildlife rehabber about 3 weeks ago, who has to go through major surgery and who has been trying to get a better home for him since then. He was supposedly bitten by another bearded dragon on the tail base before going to the rehabber, but in my opinion it looks more like a dog bite. He's skinny, and the saddest part is apparently he put on "good weight" over the past 3 weeks - his little hip bones are all sticking out :( Here is a first picture, but I"m not sure how well the skinniness will come through
7544944_photobucket_18792_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_18793_.jpg

At the vet's office we did a full workup - got that scab off and the skin and area cleaned up, bloodwork, xrays, took a biopsy of the wound to make sure the yellow coloration around it isn't yellow fungus , and got him started on antibiotics and pain meds. He never would poo at the office, so no sample to test there (stinker). Here is a pic afterwards, in the 2nd bath of the day
7544944_photobucket_18794_.jpg

Things look better at that point, and he's lightened up a little bit at least.
I've got lights, etc on order for him, but for now, my tortoise was nice enough to share her UVB light , and we'll shift some lights around to get things up to temp, and then hopefully my next week all my stuff will be in and he'll be set up.
As I mentioned earlier support and advice are welcomed! Luckily my significant other, Matt, loves the beardies too, but doesn't quite understand :) I know many of you guys will !!! I've already become alarmingly attached to this dude, and have named him Stitch. This is the fastest I've named something in a long time, so hopefully that's not a jinx, but will give him something to aspire too. Figured the name worked...he's a rescue, but still a bit fiesty, and maybe he'll aspire to some mischievousness over time :D
When I got him home tonight and put him in the 3rd bath of the day (where i finally got poo :blob5: ) he lightened up the most I'd seen him, so I'm hoping he knows that he's HOME... and that's my anthropomorphizing for the day... (But check out the pics?? What do yall think ?????)
7544944_photobucket_18790_.jpg

and then snuggling in a towel - he's not sure quite what to make of this I think, but is still snuggled in the towel propped on my leg as I type....
7544944_photobucket_18789_.jpg

I'll have questions and concerns soon I'm sure, but I wanted to introduce Stitch !!
Carrie

fez09

Extreme Poster
Carrie that must've been pretty scary and I'm glad that everything turned out! Poor little Stich n Syd were just trying to give some comic relief!! And for boys, it's ALWAYS SEXY TIME!!!! I wish that it would get warm enough here to get my dragons outside for a little bit, my son took Grimm (box turtle) out for a few minutes on Easter but I had a housefull so the beardies didn't get as lucky and now it's rainy for the whole week.

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
bowsersmom":3h5k9xck said:
Flare my beard, like a boss! Bob my head, like a boss! Promote synergy, like a boss! Hit on Sydney, like a boss! Get some push-ups, like a boss!
(It's from an SNL skit, "Like a Boss," that is very much R rated so I won't link it here, but it sounds like Stitch has R rated thoughts in his mind these days! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )
haha! lonely island is awesome! :)

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
EEK ! We were away for 4 days and got back this afternoon to this....
2011-05-01_18-35-56_628.jpg

I didn't take pics in the cage... was too freaked out by everything....
We had people checking in on all the pets daily, so when I first walked in with the bags, etc the cat came running around, and I wandered into the animal room and from the room entrance saw that everyone was alive and looked ok, so finished up with getting the car unpacked... and then went to go get them out of the tanks for baths... Sydney's hammock had fallen down so she was laying below it looking sad and as I see into the bottom of the cage, I see those things.
My brain doesn't comprehend for a split second and my first thought was why in the world did they (the pet sitters) put fruit snacks into Sydney's tank? and then my brain caught up and went ooooohhhhh... those are eggs.. OOOOHHH EGGS ! *#&Y !!!
So I snatch her up and start trying to make sure she's ok... She apparently dug so much on the tiles that she wore several nails on her front feet down a lot :( :cry: And the pads of her front feet are swollen - almost like a blister consistency -which I'm assuming is from scraping on the tile :( :( I'm feeling rather guilty about the whole situation and definitely like a bad mom !!! I think she must have laid them overnight Sat into this morning because they are so dried out (I've got another post about this on the breeding forum and hoping someone will look at the pic and let me know if those look normal for dried out eggs) and the people petsitting didn't notice them. She didnt' eat her salad from Sat, but her bowl was clean when they checked on her on Friday.
I get her into a bath and hover over her for while. She's thinner and looks a little tired I think. So as she's bathing I go to try and revamp the lay box... the crickets I got 2 weeks ago were back in the box I had "stolen" to use as the lay box. I frantically look for another suitable box adn find one covered in pollen and dirt that is outside... and then have to wash it out good so I can refill it up with dirt (sounds a bit weird as i write it, but yall understand). And after the bath back into the lay box she goes... Sydney looks at me and is like Ummm, No ? and tries to leap out and scratch out. So I sit with her and try to help make burrow's, and cover up her butt with dirt. She was unimpressed with the whole deal.
After that debacle I gave her some superworms which she ate well - ate 8 or so I guess. And then took about 2 ml of critical care. Now she's basking in her hammock and seems pretty happy.
I;ve got 2/3 of the tank bottom covered with a soft tile so if she feels the need to dig it's at least a bit soft....
Here's a picture afterwards...
2011-05-01_18-36-20_338.jpg

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
Poor Sydney! I hope her feet feel better soon. And that she can snarf enough superworms to make up for all that effort!

I say extra favorite treats for her. And lots of soaks for her feet!

fez09

Extreme Poster
:shock:
What have I missed!!!! Miss sydney laid eggies??!!!!??? I bet you freaked when you saw those little things!!! It's all that flirting with Stitch!!! How is she doing now?? Let's hope that she's done....

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sydney had 2 more eggs in her bath along with a giant poo... but I'm hoping she's all done now :)
She seems to feel a lot better than she did on Sunday though :)

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I know !! Can't say that I'm super interested in dealing with the whole egg laying thing... lol stressful for her and ME !

She got to enjoy crickets and superworms today and even ate some salad. :)

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Finally.. a new update.... :)
Here is Stitch getting ready to shed some...
2011-05-01_18-36-33_196.jpg

After he shed the part of his tail... Look how good the wound on his tail healed up :) It looks even better in person!
2011-04-27_17-00-26_215.jpg

And a few days later he shed his back and somehow ended up with it tucked up between his leg... :dontknow: But that's a nice whole back shed in one piece !
7544944_photobucket_67381_.jpg

And a few random pics... I had Stitch out the other night and he climbed off me and stuffed himself under the pillow on the couch for an early bedtime
In this first pic his tail is curled straight up pointing to the ceiling... in "alert mode" ... shortly thereafter it dropped into "i'm safe and it's time for a nappy mode"

2011-04-22_20-45-30_846.jpg

2011-04-22_20-46-19_624.jpg

Now for Sydney !
She's doing well.. i'm hoping no more signs of eggs , but I guess i'll know in a couple weeks. She's been eating good and is eating salad like mad. She (and Stitch) are annoyed with me because I was bad and ran out of insects....but more are arriving tomorrow !
But anyways, I was walking by and saw her hanging out like this.. I've never seen her try to get up into the hammock this way...
7544944_photobucket_66543_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_66544_.jpg

Shortly after she struggled to pull herself up but got up on the hammock with her head pointed downwards and promptly hopped back down and meandered around the tank. Just wanted to see if I could do it thanks. :lol:
hope you enjoyed a little update after a couple weeks of not having one... sorry bout that :oops:

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Slave2Scarlett":yk9g73bo said:
Ha ha those are cute new pics! Love the hammock one!

Thanks !
Here's some new ones from today !

I was cleaning out the tanks this morning and was working on Sydney's... cleaning it out, getting her new turnip green salad.. all that good stuff... AND someone else needed to help... So with a little chirrup my cat Sprinkles hops in the tank.... :roll: And like a good mom I take lots of pictures.. lol

I think Sydney was guarding her salad ! STAY AWAY from my noms !
7544944_photobucket_69571_.jpg

Whhhaaatt ?
7544944_photobucket_69572_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_69573_.jpg

Here's a pic of the open part of the screen top so you can see what she hopped through...
7544944_photobucket_69574_.jpg

Sydney decides the invader is not a threat and starts to eat her salad
7544944_photobucket_69575_.jpg

Sprinkles needs to investigate this obviously delicious substance (They eat crickets, which I love too, so they must have good taste.... EWWWW it smells green! )
7544944_photobucket_69576_.jpg

Sprinkles " YUCK!" Sydney " YUM" Nom nom
7544944_photobucket_69577_.jpg

Lip smacking good !
7544944_photobucket_69578_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_69579_.jpg

Lol :) I finally got a picture of her licking her lips :) But it looks like she's sticking out her tongue at Sprinkles :p :mrgreen:
7544944_photobucket_69580_.jpg

Is Sprinkles merely sniffing the tile? Or bowing before a Queen ? :lol:
7544944_photobucket_69581_.jpg

Really you need to ask ?
7544944_photobucket_69582_.jpg

HALP I'm in jail ! :)
7544944_photobucket_69583_.jpg

She's all tuckered out from helping me clean this morning :wink:
7544944_photobucket_69584_.jpg

Here's a few of Stitch so that his loyal followers wont' be disappointed...
Bath Time !
7544944_photobucket_69585_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_69588_.jpg

NO! I don't want a bath this morning ! NO ! I"M getting out of here !
7544944_photobucket_69590_.jpg

Foiled....
7544944_photobucket_69591_.jpg

Oh wait ! I like bath time... I forgot :) Ahhhh relaxing :)
7544944_photobucket_69592_.jpg

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
I LOVE all the new pics, they are all wonderful! I love the one of Sydney hanging on for dear life, hehe, and those two where cat bows to Sydney. :love5:
Aww, my boy Stitch has completed his shed, his tail looks great now. :love5:
I really enjoyed all the pics!
Ohh, were those slugs that Sydney layed? Hope her tiny hands are a bit better now, poor baby :(

ReptileGuardian

Hatchling Member
The pic of Sydney hanging from the hammock looks like she's just trying to get a little burn going for herself :lol: everyone needs a little exercise once in a while lol

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Hi Carrie, I've missed so much, I'm glad that Sydney and you came through all the egg laying ordeal, fun isn't it???????????????? I just loved all the pics, especially the one of Syndey saying "Really you need to ask?" Her face is priceless, Miss Queen Sydney.............And Stitch is lookin' good, wound has healed nicely...........your such a good mommy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom