Stitch and Sydney- New pics pg 22!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rescued a beardie yesterday, and am looking for a little support group overall for the most part, and any advice you have to give... and hopefully to watch this little one progress from pitaful to fat and sassy over the next months!!! For some quick background info...I'm a long time lurker of several bearded dragon forums over the past 7 years, and I've had 2 beardies over the past 6.5 years, but have always been a 1 beardie household (until today). My first I had for 5 years, before he passed from a long term illness, and then I've had a new baby for just over a year.
This one ended up with me yesterday. I'm not entirely sure of all the details, but he ended up with a wildlife rehabber about 3 weeks ago, who has to go through major surgery and who has been trying to get a better home for him since then. He was supposedly bitten by another bearded dragon on the tail base before going to the rehabber, but in my opinion it looks more like a dog bite. He's skinny, and the saddest part is apparently he put on "good weight" over the past 3 weeks - his little hip bones are all sticking out :( Here is a first picture, but I"m not sure how well the skinniness will come through
7544944_photobucket_18792_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_18793_.jpg

At the vet's office we did a full workup - got that scab off and the skin and area cleaned up, bloodwork, xrays, took a biopsy of the wound to make sure the yellow coloration around it isn't yellow fungus , and got him started on antibiotics and pain meds. He never would poo at the office, so no sample to test there (stinker). Here is a pic afterwards, in the 2nd bath of the day
7544944_photobucket_18794_.jpg

Things look better at that point, and he's lightened up a little bit at least.
I've got lights, etc on order for him, but for now, my tortoise was nice enough to share her UVB light , and we'll shift some lights around to get things up to temp, and then hopefully my next week all my stuff will be in and he'll be set up.
As I mentioned earlier support and advice are welcomed! Luckily my significant other, Matt, loves the beardies too, but doesn't quite understand :) I know many of you guys will !!! I've already become alarmingly attached to this dude, and have named him Stitch. This is the fastest I've named something in a long time, so hopefully that's not a jinx, but will give him something to aspire too. Figured the name worked...he's a rescue, but still a bit fiesty, and maybe he'll aspire to some mischievousness over time :D
When I got him home tonight and put him in the 3rd bath of the day (where i finally got poo :blob5: ) he lightened up the most I'd seen him, so I'm hoping he knows that he's HOME... and that's my anthropomorphizing for the day... (But check out the pics?? What do yall think ?????)
7544944_photobucket_18790_.jpg

and then snuggling in a towel - he's not sure quite what to make of this I think, but is still snuggled in the towel propped on my leg as I type....
7544944_photobucket_18789_.jpg

I'll have questions and concerns soon I'm sure, but I wanted to introduce Stitch !!
Carrie

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Awwwwwwwww, such a cute pic of Stitch but he looks like "get me on solid ground"........ I'd love to see the pics of Sydney, but during this time of year it may be too time consuming to dig them out, so that's ok.

fez09

Extreme Poster
Yay for face sheds!!! He's got to be more comfortable now! The pic of him in the tree is cute, our tree is a super pokey blue spruce, its gorgeous but painful to touch!

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Here are some pics from Sydney last year in the tree...
Her and my kitty Sprinkles who can't resist :)
DSC_0705.jpg

Taking a little taste of the tree
DSC_0701.jpg

On the move...
DSC_0706.jpg

getting deeper and heading to the trunk... she crawls to the middle and then would climb up at the level of the trunk...
DSC_0708.jpg

Can you see her ?
DSC_0711.jpg

DSC_0713.jpg

Close up of her chin and belly
DSC_0715.jpg

Keep in mind that we have a TALL tree...it's 11 feet plus :) She's up by the star... :shock: she's my little climber!

I hope you all enjoyed some Sydney pics :)
Stitch is cuddled between 2 branches on the tree now as I type this out...

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Just loved the pics, thanks, but I would be a nervous reck with her being up so high, (too many horror stories from falls) your braver than I am. Is the kitty freindly with the beardies? It's so nice that your getting your little family ready for the holiday's. :mrgreen:

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Looking through the older pictures inspired me to introduce my first beardie, Pogo , to everyone. He was such a laid back little guy and we had a lot of fun together! He was my original Christmas beardie.... I had a tree the first year I had him in 2004 and he was running around on the floor and then the next thing I knew he was up in the tree all by himself...The rest is history :D
So I hope yall don't mind as I share some stories and pics of him!
I'll introduce a couple of random pictures first...
PP.jpg

He was such a handsome yellow man !
pogoetc050.jpg

pogoetc081.jpg

Of course my kitty sprinkles has to be involved in the pictures.... I got Pogo in May and adopted her in August of 2004 so she came into a beardie run household and Pogo wasted no time in laying out the ground rules and she's been a beardie lover ever since (lucky for me!)

So here are several of Pogo in the trees over a few years
pogoetc010.jpg

Christmas014.jpg

Christmas013.jpg

This is one from his last Christmas in 2008... he's sleepy in this picture!!!
Christmas024.jpg

And here are several "Santa Pogo" pictures (my favorites!!!)
SantaPogo030.jpg

SantaPogo026.jpg

What's a better present than a Santa Pogo ?
SantaPogo024.jpg

:mrgreen:

Pogo won over all my family with his sweet and laid back nature!! Who could resist that face ? And he taught me so much about beardies. I was on a different forum when I got him and I'd go on there in a panic every week with some new question :) He even won my mom over and got her excited to petsit him . She'd give him baths and then tote him around for hours in her sweatshirt hehe

I suspect that Pogo had yellow fungus disease as a juvie, but he was diagnosed with it officially in 2008 when he started developing lots of skin lesions again. Pogo and I battled this horrible disease for 16 months before it got the best of him....He was a trooper through all the months of medicines, syringe feedings, having his skin picked on and debrided regularly, and even a tail amputation when the fungus invaded his bone. He was my brave boy. He'd get so grumpy at the vets office (I don't blame him) and would turn black all the way down his chest and belly. In July 2009 he looked at me one day and told me clear as day that he was done fighting...
I miss you mr. man !

Thanks for letting me share and reading about my Pogo :) I hope you all enjoyed all the handsome pictures!

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Oh what a sweet Pogo, it sounds like you spent many joyous hours together, thank-you for sharing him with us, loved all the pics, and the one with your kitty, how precious is that picture? You have many memories, so thanks for letting us see a glimpse of your special relationship.

fez09

Extreme Poster
Awwwww, Pogo was GORGEOUS! and how sweet that he was a Christmas Beardie!! Thanks for sharing his story with us!

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
He was really wonderful beardie. I'm sorry that he's not with you any more :( But I'm glad that you shared his story with us. What a cool guy :( He really was a fighter. :) And I love all pics of him.

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
That was such a sweet story thank you and great pix too.

Carrie, Those are great pix too. Thank you for sharing them. I love this thread.

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
beardie osk":z8fl74bm said:
Oh what a sweet Pogo, it sounds like you spent many joyous hours together, thank-you for sharing him with us, loved all the pics, and the one with your kitty, how precious is that picture? You have many memories, so thanks for letting us see a glimpse of your special relationship.

We did have a lot of fun together. He was a silly laid back little dude! Thanks for reading. I enjoyed sharing his pictures and a little bit of his story. My favorite picture is of him and my kitty - I took tons of pictures to get that one finally! hehe even though they would touch noses like that, getting my slow camera at that time to snap at the right time....

fez09":z8fl74bm said:
Awwwww, Pogo was GORGEOUS! and how sweet that he was a Christmas Beardie!! Thanks for sharing his story with us!
Thanks :) I think so to ! Thanks for reading and commenting :) He couldn't wait to get into that Christmas Tree :)

Atrax":z8fl74bm said:
He was really wonderful beardie. I'm sorry that he's not with you any more :( But I'm glad that you shared his story with us. What a cool guy :( He really was a fighter. :) And I love all pics of him.
Thanks :) I'm glad you enjoyed reading about him. He was a fighter and put up with getting meds and harrassed with a pretty good temper.... I got lots of ugly looks though.. :) :) He had a great stink eye and wasn't shy about sharing it... lol Glad you liked the pics... he was quite tolerant of all my Santa Pogo picture taking :mrgreen:

jeritta":z8fl74bm said:
That was such a sweet story thank you and great pix too.

Carrie, Those are great pix too. Thank you for sharing them. I love this thread.

Awww thanks :) I know how much I enjoy reading other threads, but I'm glad people are enjoying reading about my crew! They amuse me that's for sure !!!! I'm glad that yall are enjoying keeping up with their lives as well.

I love all your threads too :D

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
I have red felt sitting out right now to make Clovis a Santa hat. Where did you find one such a perfect size? When we take our Santa pics they shall be in honor of sweet handsome Pogo. I love the pictures of the beardies in the trees! I wish we had a big stable tree that Clovis could climb. I just asked him if he would like to climb a tree and be cocked his head and looked at me, which I think means yes!

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
bowsersmom":1q4yea56 said:
I have red felt sitting out right now to make Clovis a Santa hat. Where did you find one such a perfect size? When we take our Santa pics they shall be in honor of sweet handsome Pogo. I love the pictures of the beardies in the trees! I wish we had a big stable tree that Clovis could climb. I just asked him if he would like to climb a tree and be cocked his head and looked at me, which I think means yes!

awwww I'm honored that you'll think of Pogo when you take Clovis' christmas pictures! I'm glad we could inspire all the pictures I've heard about !!! I can't wait to see them :)

I was just lucky with my Santa hat... We had an older ornament that had a santa hat that I stole and used for all the pictures. It just happened to be a perfect size! I think the homemade hat will work wonderfully though.

I think it sounds like Clovis definitely needs a tree of his own *wink* That was certainly a "yes" that he gave you. Can't wait to see some Santa Clovis Pictures!!

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
They are doing well :)
We had Stitch out running around on the floor for a while yesterday and he frolicked a bit and then ran up and looked at the tree and head bobbed the tree :lol: and then run under the tree... tasted the red tree skirt several times... and then bobbed the tree again from underneath :roll: After he ran a circle around the whole tree he stopped looked around, evaluated the situation and then leaped into a low lying branch ! and proceeded to climb up :) I took a couple of pics showing him climbing up heheh
7544944_photobucket_35060_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_35059_.jpg

Silly boy :) He dozed in the tree for a while and my DH went over to look at him and say Hi and Stitch gave him an ugly look, then blew up at him and black bearded him !! :laughing6: Don't take me out! So we left him there for a while :)
While Stitch was in the tree I looked over at Sydney and she had stuck her little beard out just as far as she could, so I went over and got her out and she calmed down and was a happy girl again.... :D So she hung out on my shoulder for the afternoon... hehe :) So they had a good Sunday !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom