Stitch and Sydney- New pics pg 22!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rescued a beardie yesterday, and am looking for a little support group overall for the most part, and any advice you have to give... and hopefully to watch this little one progress from pitaful to fat and sassy over the next months!!! For some quick background info...I'm a long time lurker of several bearded dragon forums over the past 7 years, and I've had 2 beardies over the past 6.5 years, but have always been a 1 beardie household (until today). My first I had for 5 years, before he passed from a long term illness, and then I've had a new baby for just over a year.
This one ended up with me yesterday. I'm not entirely sure of all the details, but he ended up with a wildlife rehabber about 3 weeks ago, who has to go through major surgery and who has been trying to get a better home for him since then. He was supposedly bitten by another bearded dragon on the tail base before going to the rehabber, but in my opinion it looks more like a dog bite. He's skinny, and the saddest part is apparently he put on "good weight" over the past 3 weeks - his little hip bones are all sticking out :( Here is a first picture, but I"m not sure how well the skinniness will come through
7544944_photobucket_18792_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_18793_.jpg

At the vet's office we did a full workup - got that scab off and the skin and area cleaned up, bloodwork, xrays, took a biopsy of the wound to make sure the yellow coloration around it isn't yellow fungus , and got him started on antibiotics and pain meds. He never would poo at the office, so no sample to test there (stinker). Here is a pic afterwards, in the 2nd bath of the day
7544944_photobucket_18794_.jpg

Things look better at that point, and he's lightened up a little bit at least.
I've got lights, etc on order for him, but for now, my tortoise was nice enough to share her UVB light , and we'll shift some lights around to get things up to temp, and then hopefully my next week all my stuff will be in and he'll be set up.
As I mentioned earlier support and advice are welcomed! Luckily my significant other, Matt, loves the beardies too, but doesn't quite understand :) I know many of you guys will !!! I've already become alarmingly attached to this dude, and have named him Stitch. This is the fastest I've named something in a long time, so hopefully that's not a jinx, but will give him something to aspire too. Figured the name worked...he's a rescue, but still a bit fiesty, and maybe he'll aspire to some mischievousness over time :D
When I got him home tonight and put him in the 3rd bath of the day (where i finally got poo :blob5: ) he lightened up the most I'd seen him, so I'm hoping he knows that he's HOME... and that's my anthropomorphizing for the day... (But check out the pics?? What do yall think ?????)
7544944_photobucket_18790_.jpg

and then snuggling in a towel - he's not sure quite what to make of this I think, but is still snuggled in the towel propped on my leg as I type....
7544944_photobucket_18789_.jpg

I'll have questions and concerns soon I'm sure, but I wanted to introduce Stitch !!
Carrie

fez09

Extreme Poster
Hi Carrie! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Loved the pics and the headbobbing story is funny! Sydney is quite the Sleeping Beauty! Stitch continues to look healthier and healthier, I'm so glad that he's shedding, his owie will be gone soon!!!

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Atrax":2zrd5mhf said:
Hehehe, I love Stitch. He's so adorable. How big is he?
Stitch is about 18 inches and topped out at 414 grams earlier this week, which is the heaviest yet :) He's doing good !

fez09":2zrd5mhf said:
Hi Carrie! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Loved the pics and the headbobbing story is funny! Sydney is quite the Sleeping Beauty! Stitch continues to look healthier and healthier, I'm so glad that he's shedding, his owie will be gone soon!!!

I did have a good Thanksgiving :) Hope you did as well !

Sydney has actually been up and active and looking for salad and bugs the last few days. And she's more interested in Stitch now too.... :roll: I'm concerned i may have to deal with eggs later .. especially if she keeps thinking Stitch is a sexy beast (which of course he is, but still...)
I also updated both their tanks with some Slate tiles.... Sydney especially seemed excited and kept running around on the floor :)

Stitch started shedding his tail... as you can see in this picture.... There is a definite color difference in the shed portion :)
7544944_photobucket_31841_.jpg

He's still shedding.. some of it is sooo thick, so I'm looking forward to that junk being off of him!

fez09

Extreme Poster
Slate tiles are the best, so pretty and easy to clean!
Hopefully, you won't have to deal with eggs, are they in the same room?
Stitch looks so different with all that shed, I bet he will be much more comfortable with it off too!

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I"m excited about the slate as well :) It's pretty tile and one box did both tanks, which was great. And luckily i have a handy DH and he could cut the tile to fit.

Stitch and Sydney are in the same room and can see each other...Unfortunately my house design is such where this is the best place by far to have them...So we'll have to see what happens....I'd rather not deal with eggs, but I'm hoping that maybe she'll be a smart girl and not make any....one can hope at least ! We'll see what this year brings. If I end up dealing with eggs we may have to shift the tanks and figure something out !

fez09

Extreme Poster
Maybe you'll get lucky and not have to. I have Mojo upstairs so he doesn't see the girls....I really do need a stacking viv (or two or three)

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
Stacking vivs are our next project if we can ever afford them. They should be easy to build though I hope.

Stitch is looking good. I am happy Sydney is up and about for you for a while now. Hopefully no eggs but she is right Stitch is a good looking fella.

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Stacking viv's are nice !! Don't seem them happening for a while though...hehe
Right now at least dealing with the possibility of eggs is less of a hassel than trying to find a different spot for the tank... :roll:
So we'll see what happens... :)
For now Sydney can enjoy the view !!! :mrgreen:

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
I've been gone for a while, glad to hear that you had a good Thanksgiving, and Stitch looks great and so handsome and happy looking, keep up the great job your doing with him.

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
Awesome, give a lil' kiss to Stitch from me, and post few pics of him, pleeease, pretty please with cherry on top :roll: :oops: :oops:

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
bowsersmom":2fveb9xu said:
The dynamic duo seem to be doing well! Do lady beardies lay unfertilized eggs when male beardies are around?

The females can actually lay eggs without any other beardies in the house, but having a male (especially one they can see) increases that chance... so we'll have to see what happens in the next couple months...hehe

When I got home from work I saw that Stitch's face had exploded... lol YAY SHEDDING !
7544944_photobucket_32846_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_32847_.jpg

Here's a good pic of his ear shed :)
7544944_photobucket_32848_.jpg

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
I love a full frontal view of a beardie. They are adorable and devious looking at the same time. I bet he's glad to get rid of that yucky dead skin!

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
Aww, thanks for pics of Stitch, he soo cool :D :D Now he'll grow a lil' bit more, and be even more handsome, if that's even possible. :)
Awesome pics! :)

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Atrax":i0urjjun said:
Aww, thanks for pics of Stitch, he soo cool :D :D Now he'll grow a lil' bit more, and be even more handsome, if that's even possible. :)
Awesome pics! :)

I know more handsome ??!! that just boggles the mind *wink* :)

We went up in the snow to get our Christmas tree on Saturday and got it up. Last year Sydney adored the tree- she'd climb up high and take big naps (and we have a tall tree too!) There were several times the step ladder was involved to pluck her from near the top of the tree... :roll: So she got first shot at the tree on Sunday and she found a good branch and promptly passed out for a few hours. I didn't get a picture of her. I can try to dig up pics from last Christmas if anyone is interested....
But after her turn I wanted to see what Stitch thought of the tree... so on first try I put him in a couple of branches up (so he wouldn't fall far if he "flew" out of the tree) and he looked around and finally tried moving and then climbed down a branch and flopped out of the tree. So I put him back in and he was more comfortable moving around this time and moved around some and then jumped down again. So at this point I was wondering if he wasn't going to like it, but he didn't seem angry so I put him back in and this time he climbed up a few branches and then snuggled in a bit and laid there and just hung out for a while and then finally took a nap too :mrgreen:
7544944_photobucket_33625_.jpg

awwww... Cuteness !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom