Stitch and Sydney- New pics pg 22!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rescued a beardie yesterday, and am looking for a little support group overall for the most part, and any advice you have to give... and hopefully to watch this little one progress from pitaful to fat and sassy over the next months!!! For some quick background info...I'm a long time lurker of several bearded dragon forums over the past 7 years, and I've had 2 beardies over the past 6.5 years, but have always been a 1 beardie household (until today). My first I had for 5 years, before he passed from a long term illness, and then I've had a new baby for just over a year.
This one ended up with me yesterday. I'm not entirely sure of all the details, but he ended up with a wildlife rehabber about 3 weeks ago, who has to go through major surgery and who has been trying to get a better home for him since then. He was supposedly bitten by another bearded dragon on the tail base before going to the rehabber, but in my opinion it looks more like a dog bite. He's skinny, and the saddest part is apparently he put on "good weight" over the past 3 weeks - his little hip bones are all sticking out :( Here is a first picture, but I"m not sure how well the skinniness will come through
7544944_photobucket_18792_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_18793_.jpg

At the vet's office we did a full workup - got that scab off and the skin and area cleaned up, bloodwork, xrays, took a biopsy of the wound to make sure the yellow coloration around it isn't yellow fungus , and got him started on antibiotics and pain meds. He never would poo at the office, so no sample to test there (stinker). Here is a pic afterwards, in the 2nd bath of the day
7544944_photobucket_18794_.jpg

Things look better at that point, and he's lightened up a little bit at least.
I've got lights, etc on order for him, but for now, my tortoise was nice enough to share her UVB light , and we'll shift some lights around to get things up to temp, and then hopefully my next week all my stuff will be in and he'll be set up.
As I mentioned earlier support and advice are welcomed! Luckily my significant other, Matt, loves the beardies too, but doesn't quite understand :) I know many of you guys will !!! I've already become alarmingly attached to this dude, and have named him Stitch. This is the fastest I've named something in a long time, so hopefully that's not a jinx, but will give him something to aspire too. Figured the name worked...he's a rescue, but still a bit fiesty, and maybe he'll aspire to some mischievousness over time :D
When I got him home tonight and put him in the 3rd bath of the day (where i finally got poo :blob5: ) he lightened up the most I'd seen him, so I'm hoping he knows that he's HOME... and that's my anthropomorphizing for the day... (But check out the pics?? What do yall think ?????)
7544944_photobucket_18790_.jpg

and then snuggling in a towel - he's not sure quite what to make of this I think, but is still snuggled in the towel propped on my leg as I type....
7544944_photobucket_18789_.jpg

I'll have questions and concerns soon I'm sure, but I wanted to introduce Stitch !!
Carrie

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
*Top of page 5... there are more new pics at the bottom of page 4 too in case you missed them..*

....And more pictures....
Eating his crickets !

Ooohhh Crickets!
7544944_photobucket_28205_.jpg

Getting ready...
7544944_photobucket_28204_.jpg

AND GO !
7544944_photobucket_28202_.jpg

I can't believe how long that tongue is.... lol

Got him... Nom!
7544944_photobucket_28203_.jpg

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
oh man, i love that tongue picture! i'm sure he has no problem at all hunting with such a long tongue :)

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
beardie osk":1eqtfpgu said:
Sydney and Stitck are looking well..........Hooray, 400grams, it's a milestone........How's his open area?

It's looking better and better :) I'm hoping maybe in 3 weeks or a month it'll be completely healed over :) He's doing well!!

nair88":1eqtfpgu said:
oh man, i love that tongue picture! i'm sure he has no problem at all hunting with such a long tongue :)

I was super excited when my camera got that pic :) You didn't see the 20 other pictures I took to get those... lol
Between his long legs (he's the lankiest dragon I've had...) and his long tongue, he doesn't even need to jump! Just stretch up on tiptoes :)
He's really funny to watch eat... When he sees crickets across the tank he launches at them and sticks his tongue out about 8 inches in front of them and runs with his tongue out.. :laughing6:

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
haha! he runs with his tongue out? that's so awesome. falkor doesn't stick her tongue out until the last possible second. it's so tough getting a shot of it out. i think i've only gotten one so far.

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Neither of my other 2 dragons has done that either... lol But he sure does stick it on out and and then continue to run and lunge at the crickets... he's such a goof !! :) I love it :wink:

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Here's another sleeping picture of Sydney...
7544944_photobucket_29563_.jpg

After her bath she snuggled up in my shirt while we watched football and then I wanted a nap... so I tucked her into the covers, turned on the heated mattress pad (for her not me) and we napped for a couple hours. After that she didn't want to go back into her house, so I tucked her up in the blankets instead and she promptly passed back out again. Happy sleepy beardie :)

Stitch has skimmed over and is getting ready to shed the most he's done since I've had him... 2 whole legs, most of his face, and a chunk of the body/tail area... :)

7544944_photobucket_29564_.jpg

And then a close up of his close to being healed up wound :) YAY
7544944_photobucket_29565_.jpg

'

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Sydney is such a beauty........and Stitch's wound looks great, healing well, I know he'll feel better when he's done shedding.

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
I love when you post pix. They are both so beautiful. Stitch is really healing well. Love the tongue and sleepy pix.

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks yall :) He's just skimmed over beardieosk so I'm guessing about a week to start shedding.

The beardies were SO funny this morning. I woke Sydney up and put her up to bask on her hammock and Stitch was already awake and basking and then my hubby Matt looked over and started laughing and so I go over to see and Sydney is looking down on Stitch and doing this really slow head bob and then Stitch was glaring at her with his beard all poofed out and was head bobbing so hard his foot kept coming off the ground !! It was like he was stomping his foot in a tantrum :) I'm not sure if Sydney was trying to be submissive or was telling him a few choice words... They did it back and forth for about 5 minutes. When I broke out my video camera I got some of it, but Stitch never stomped his foot again.. so I'm disappointed I didn't capture that. But it was TOO funny!!
Matt and I were cracking up :)
Carrie

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
A quick update and some pictures :)

Here is Stitch exploring the cabinet that hides all the cords and timers, etc while I was cleaning out his tank
7544944_photobucket_30425_.jpg

Just a cute close up of his face... his eyes pop out so much now that's he's getting ready to shed!
7544944_photobucket_30426_.jpg

And then a few cute pictures of him nomming down his salad this morning. YUMMY
7544944_photobucket_30440_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_30441_.jpg

AND then to everyone HAPPY THANKSGIVING From Stitch, Sydney, Sprinkles, Jasper, and Carrie!

ThanksgivingStitch.jpg

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
Hehehe, I love Stitch. He's so adorable. How big is he?
My lil' one doesn't want to eat his salad from his dish. He only eats it if I hand feed him. But he's still a little nipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom