Starting a Dubia Colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowdragon

Hatchling Member
What will I need to start one? I am very new to Dubia so I need all the info I can get. Are they for the dragons? And from what I can tell its going to be much cheaper this way. TIA

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
From research it'll cost a little less than 150 for the starter roaches you need... I think you need about a 2:1 ratio males:females. PM Janie about this, shes a pro and a BIG roach advocate. Her name is zebraflavencs or something along those lines. I'm sure she'll be happy to tell you anything you need to know.

Look in the For Sale section, people are basically giving them away. Unless you want a "more reputable" roach source, then hit up Jason at The Roach Guy's Website -- he has quality, great sales, and good cutomer service :D

Sidenote: I'm thinkin about starting one too.

snowdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think starting one up will save me money and its such a PITA to catch the crickets that get out.

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
I have an abundance of crix right now, but I'll probably start one up too, end of this month-ish...

Just gotta get the heat pad and I got what I need... Probably post up a thread with some instructions on how to start one I'll letcha know :)

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
I started my colony several months ago and just in the past week or so the population has just exploded. It's the greatest thing ever not having to buy crickets anymore!!

SugaReina

I suggest you talk to Ian from the Roach Ranch. He's on the forums as well! Check out his website - it's very informative; and he's very good about reading and responding to email questions. I've been dealing with him for about a month (expecting my roaches tomorrow), and he was a pleasure to work with!

clear

Sub-Adult Member
First off, dubia are illegal to own and ship into Florida (Your profile says Tampa, so I am basing off that). Discoids are a little bigger than dubia but have all the exact same benefits.

SugaReina

Good call, didn't even realize that you were located in FL. It's true - illegal in the state. This is because FL provides a climate in which Dubia can thrive, but they are not native to the US, and we don't want them to because you never know how it will affect the eco system. Sorry!

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
yes they are pretty much the same, they just get a little larger and i've heard they have a little more smell (not not 1/10th the smell of crickets)

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Discoids are just like dubia except they do have more of a smell (it still isnt bad) and they get larger which means a little harder exoskeleton. Still a great choice!

snowdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How long does it take for them to breed? How long will it be before that babies would be born?

osmbr

Hatchling Member
i just started mine last night ordering more as we speak i really like jason over at theroachguy.com very fast email response and outstanding customer serivice 5*, haha but yeahh i only had one dead male in my order and there was more than he stated would be in there and they were fat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom