Spyro, Ember, Toki, Taz, Rufus, and Scarlett-new pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been lurking and commenting for awhile and realized I never introduced my babies.

Spyro is 4 months old and growing like a weed. He is full of energy, very curious, and fearless. He loves to torment my daschund. They have stare downs from Spyro's tank. The other day my daschund decided to take Spyro to the living room for play time. Needless to say I wasn't amused when I seen Buddy, the daschund, carrying Spyro! Thank goodness he didn't hurt my baby. Buddy no longer goes near Spyro after that incident.

Before I got Spyro we got Auzzie. Auzzie was a Christmas gift for my 15 year old son. She was sick from the day we got her. I took her to the vet weekly just to make sure she was doing okay. In February, I noticed that she wasn't gaining weight or growing. After another vet visit I find out she has pinworms. She finished the panacur, but still wasn't growing and started losing weight. From there I started feeding her baby food and critical care. She started being more alert and eating a little on her own. On March 11, the vet weighed her and she had gained 2g that week. We were impressed. On the 17th, she started wobbling when she walked. She didn't want to open her eyes and acted lethargic. This was about 6 pm. The next morning I get up and she has crawled up to her stuffed animal. Her breathing was very shallow and it looked like only one lung was functioning. Overnight she looked as if she lost 10g. I immediately wrapped her up and rushed to the vet. She passed away on the way there. I still question myself wondering what I did wrong. Looking back I realized that she was never well and I did everything possible to help her become a healthy, happy beardie.

On March 23, I made the mistake of going to Petco for my dogs some treats. Of course, my son makes a beeline for the beardies. The manager comes by and tells me they just got some new babies in and asked if I wanted to see them. It's bad when they know you in stores. When I go to the back and I am floored at how teeny these babies were. My eyes were drawn to my Ember. She was 4 1/2 in long and weighed 6.9g. I wasn't leaving without her. I have had her for 2 weeks now and tonight she decided to snuggle in my hair and go to sleep. This made my night.

Now I have a Bassett Hound, a daschund, a shih-tzu, two fish, and my two babies!

This is Spyro fighting the wolf. I think he won.
AD5E9828-E369-42E6-8863-D475FDCEC084.jpg

He really wanted to see Ember. I haven't allowed them together.
87A3C058-FFDD-4927-855A-72052D3D92B4.jpg

Please mom!
99687C9A-86FD-428E-8AE2-30BE769784D3.jpg

Will upload Ember's pictures in a few.

I also just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this site. I have learned so much about beardies from reading the posts.

Im sorry for the late response. Setting up Kadaj's new Vivarium has been a headache due to temp/lighting issues but I think we may have solved that as long as the basking lamp and UVA/UVB bulb does not have to be *right* next to each other. Kadaj is only 3 months old and yeah maybe it is the red in him making him and ember wild. I have a link to pics of him in my intro post "Hello Everyone!" It is going to be a pleasure watching both him and her grow up and all the adorable things they do :love:

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
My lights are close to each but not right next to each other. I seen the pictures of Kadaj this morning after you commented. He is gorgeous! Temps are a pain to get regulated. I still have to adjust the height of my lamps at times.

My UV light and basking light are like 2-3 inches apart. 2 small entertainment center shelves are holding the basking light in place on each side of it and the UV is right next to but not above the basking lamp/area. So I hope he is getting enough of the UV. It is definitely a weird setup Justin came up with but it seems to be the only way right now to keep the basking area suitable. We had to use his heating pad for the 1,000 crickets. Next month we are considering a CHE and better substrate than newspaper(It's so ugly it is downright embarrassing and crickets are little ninjas lol)

He finally began using his little "rock cave" as more than a basking spot. He made it his bed tonight and looks too adorable all curled up asleep.

Awww thanks. Ember is a beautiful little gal too. Affectionate beardies are a blessing. Kadaj seems to be most comfortable with me too though he still squirms and wants to explore my room which is not possible until I baby-proof it. I wish he could get comfortable with Justin. He still freaks out sometimes when he holds him. Like tonight after his before bedtime bath, I had him wrapped up in a warmed cloth(a baby soft eyeglass cloth I call his towel) He was falling asleep when I handed him to Justin who wanted to hold him too. The moment I handed him off his eyes popped open, bulged out and he started flipping out as if to say "YOU AREN'T MOMMY!" The week before I got him, he went nuts trying to get out of his cage to get to me in the pet store.

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Spyro got to go to the sons ball game tonight. This was his first outing and he was perfect! We were gone for a little more than 3 hours. He just sat on my chest and looked around at everything. He didn't even have a single stress mark. I think everyone at the game stopped by to see him and he loved every minute of it. The silly boy even got a small piece of turkey hanging off my sandwich. Ember will get to go next time. I didn't want to overwhelm myself by taking them both.

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ember was happy this morning

17F1CFCE-5A24-40F3-B485-0592FCD6F294.jpg

This is what happens when I take a nap and Spyro hangs out in my sons room

ED64BA1E-D499-49DA-843D-DEDF6578E74B.jpg

Hanging out. :lol:

D4CBD7ED-CB6D-4FC6-90FC-E81C934097B2.jpg

As close as they can get but wanted to have a picture of the size difference. Sorry it's blurry.

347022E1-4B17-4C1E-A6F6-F0162C340F71.jpg

Ember

336EB771-8D1B-4643-8939-45409209ED97.jpg

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ember has been wanting to go to bed really early. Lights go out at 8pm but she has crawled in my hair and sleeping now at 6pm. Should I be worried? She is active and eating really good. Last night she went to sleep at 7pm.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great that you got to take Spyro to your son's game, bet he really enjoyed all the attention. :p

Loved all the pictures.

Ember is stunning, love her coloring. I wouldn't worry about her sleeping a little earlier especially since she was sound asleep on you, us holding them causes them to relax so it's very common that they fall asleep on us. Since juveniles are so active during the day, when they are tired, they want to sleep. I wouldn't worry as long as she is acting fine otherwise.

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Spyro usually gets to go to bed in my sons room then put in his viv later. Tonight he ran from my son to me. I brought him upstairs to my room and put him on my bed. I went to get ready for bed and came back to my room about 5 minutes later and this is how I found him.

31BA31F6-BD54-4652-A50E-708ECF16ECA6.jpg

This is right after I got him at the end of January. He was so little there hanging onto the edge of his hammock. He can't even fit on that one anymore. :(

2A2BA2BE-AE3F-43F2-9DC0-03AB61BBB4CF.jpg

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
My shipment of dubia and worms was due this morning. After a little confusion, I found my box at a neighbors house 4 doors down! Glad I found it instead of them coming home and accidentally opening it! Spyro loves to help me unpack the dubia and worms. It's funny how excited my silly babies get when they see me pull out the feeder bins.

Spyro spotted the superworm container.

45008FC5-CD5D-4D57-A807-5E22723BAA19.jpg

The worms were pretty active.

51BA8D6E-35C0-417D-A2F6-20C7F9B6DEB8.jpg

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
My two spoiled brats are doing great. They both got clean bills of health from the vet :blob5: I just wish that Ember wouldn't act so scared of Spyro. She can see him from certain areas in her tank and she is fine. If I have him in the window and her on my chest she will puff her beard and get the crazy eyes. I have no intention of ever having them out together since this is her reaction. Spyro just looks at her like she is nuts and plops down in his spot.

Spyro got to go with me to get superworms on Friday. He did so good! Parents would come to me wanting to show their children. Not once did Spyro act stressed. He would lift his head up wanted them to rub his beard.

Ember is now weighing in at 34.4g. :blob8: She is still attached to me and likes to sit on my head or ponytail. Tonight I let her fall asleep in my bed. My Bassett, Izzy, noticed she was in here so she tried to cover her up. :roll:

My favorite number has always been 3. Even numbers annoy me, yes I am a little OCD. I have 3 dogs and having 2 dragons has been wonderful but the number 2 is driving me nuts. For almost a month I have been considering getting another baby. Feeding, tank set-up and vet bill for another one isn't an issue. I hesitate because of the way Ember is. Has anyone else had this issue? How did you handle it?

BlueMorpho

Juvie Member
What an adorable duo!!
Ember's colours are amazing, I've never seen a dragon with orange "racing stripes" before! Spyro's getting so big, too! I just love all the pictures! Especially the one of Spyro hanging out in your son's room. Looks like a teenager holding onto that soda can!! :D

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you! Ember is my cuddle beardie. Her colors change so much with every shed. I have no idea what color she is going to be. She has yellow, orange, and brown on her. Spyro absolutely loves being in my sons room. He gets into everything! He likes to climb cords, climb the recliner to get on the bed, and even climbs the curtains!

I weighed big boy today and he is 15 3/4 in long and 247.9g at 6 months old :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom