Sperm Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby

Extreme Poster
alright, i know with other animals that hold sperm, that a previous males sperm can be washed out or exchanged with new sperm with another breeding, like sea turtles,

does this happen in beardies?

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
kirby":6b2f0 said:
alright, i know with other animals that hold sperm, that a previous males sperm can be washed out or exchanged with new sperm with another breeding, like sea turtles,

does this happen in beardies?

I know for a fact that with bearded dragons if you have a successful breeding with the male inseminating the female and she poops within a few hours after words she will not conceive. A lot of breeders have talked about ways to prevent this as the vaginal canal and anus merge down near the vent. So yes urates and feces can push/evacuate the sperm from the female and thus reduce or eliminate any chance of pregnancy.

Believe me I've been very frustrated the last few months with successful breedings and no eggs to show... So I've found ways to remedy this and it's worked so far, you just have to use common sense and work around nature. If the female needs to poo she will poo no matter what's going on...

Anthony

kirby

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
thanks anthony,

so other then passing feces directly after breeding, other breedings wont exchange semen?

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
kirby":4fe1d said:
thanks anthony,

so other then passing feces directly after breeding, other breedings wont exchange semen?

That's a good question but if any male can inseminate the female again after the previous sperm were expelled then sure the resulting offspring can be from a different father than intended. But regardless of the species if two males were to deposit their sperm within the vaginal canal around the same time period it's just a race to the egg(s) and the first one to penetrate wins... So I would guess anythings possible, but I haven't heard of any study that would make me think otherwise...

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom