Male springtime behaviour questions

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
This is my first male bearded dragon, I’ve had two females in the past so I’m still not sure what to expect when he comes of age. I’d like to educate myself before hand, because this will be an entirely new experience for me.

1697164930012.jpeg

As you can see, he is very… VERY obviously male 😅 I mean, just look at those massive hemipenes! Okay, back on topic here, I know that they can get pretty grumpy. And, uh— how do I say this, frisky?

I’ve heard people designating a sock for their males too, uhm… you know? And for sperm plugs, he needs a rough surface, right? Is that all? Anything else I should be aware of?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Zoomies, head bobs, black beard, glass surfing, habitat wrecking. Oh wait they do that anyways lol. 😁
Sinatra actually went after my hand last weekend. But I had put him with Snickers and she ran off. I went to pick him up but he was still excited and tried to grab my hand. It was a little close for comfort lol.
Zen has done that in the past also. With both guys there had been a female near, but they may be slightly movement aggressive even without a female. Just something to be aware of.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Zoomies, head bobs, black beard, glass surfing, habitat wrecking. Oh wait they do that anyways lol. 😁
Sinatra actually went after my hand last weekend. But I had put him with Snickers and she ran off. I went to pick him up but he was still excited and tried to grab my hand. It was a little close for comfort lol.
Zen has done that in the past also. With both guys there had been a female near, but they may be slightly movement aggressive even without a female. Just something to be aware of.
Okay 👍 thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I moved it to behavior for you, not a problem.

I think their behavior can vary quite a bit, so I'll just add my observations from my dragon - just keep in mind it isn't a universal. Typically after brumation (only 1 of 3 of my dragons went into brumation at all) he will wake up and slowly gain a lot of energy. He will run all over the place and pretty much ignore food. He tends to lose a little bit of weight during this period. After a while he starts to slow down again and get very hungry. The weight goes back on and up to normal levels. There is head bobs and moodiness. Doesn't like to be touched or interacted with much when he is in hyper mode. This typically lasts a month or two. It kind of varies a bit, but that's the general routine.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
This is something I'm really curious to see as well. My boy just turned one and this coming spring will be our first together. He hasn't headbobed or glass surfed and only blackbearded me twice so far. He did bite me once though and not in the curious kind of way 🤣

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I moved it to behavior for you, not a problem.

I think their behavior can vary quite a bit, so I'll just add my observations from my dragon - just keep in mind it isn't a universal. Typically after brumation (only 1 of 3 of my dragons went into brumation at all) he will wake up and slowly gain a lot of energy. He will run all over the place and pretty much ignore food. He tends to lose a little bit of weight during this period. After a while he starts to slow down again and get very hungry. The weight goes back on and up to normal levels. There is head bobs and moodiness. Doesn't like to be touched or interacted with much when he is in hyper mode. This typically lasts a month or two. It kind of varies a bit, but that's the general routine.
Okay 👍 that helps a lot, but is what you mentioned the post brumation stage? I meant mating behaviours, if that was what you were talking about, then great!

Leo’s in semi-brumation, he’s awake but much sleepier. He has his old appetite still, but falls asleep early every day.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
This is something I'm really curious to see as well. My boy just turned one and this coming spring will be our first together. He hasn't headbobed or glass surfed and only blackbearded me twice so far. He did bite me once though and not in the curious kind of way 🤣
Yeah— my boy has glass surfed a couple times but never head bobbed, nor did he ever black beard. He’s a pretty laid back guy

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
From what I've seen, the mating behavior comes after brumation. Not to say that's the case with everyone- but tends to be when it starts with my dragon rather than being tied to a specific season. These are some things to look out for, but it's important to take notes (physical or mental) about what your guy does and then compare that year to year so you can get a feel for what is normal vs unusual behavior for him. It saves a lot of stress if you can see a behavior and think "eh, he just does this" and let him be. Also helpful if something stands out as unusual for him you can look into it further more quickly.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
From what I've seen, the mating behavior comes after brumation. Not to say that's the case with everyone- but tends to be when it starts with my dragon rather than being tied to a specific season. These are some things to look out for, but it's important to take notes (physical or mental) about what your guy does and then compare that year to year so you can get a feel for what is normal vs unusual behavior for him. It saves a lot of stress if you can see a behavior and think "eh, he just does this" and let him be. Also helpful if something stands out as unusual for him you can look into it further more quickly.
Alright, I heard males mature pretty young, is that correct? He’s 8 months old now but by the time spring rolls around he’ll be close to a year old.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Alright, I heard males mature pretty young, is that correct? He’s 8 months old now but by the time spring rolls around he’ll be close to a year old.
I have only had one male. My male only head bobbed a couple of times. He mostly glass surfed. I have a female so I don't know if this helps. I think they do mature younger than Females.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom