Sperm Plugs

noella5088

Juvie Member
My boy brumated. Tried to poo today and nothing came out. So, I checked under his tail and found two sperm plugs under his tail- where the hemisphenes are? (I think that's what they are. I went ahead with a qtip and got them out. I didn't want him to prolapse from straining. I believe that's what was causing him to not poo recently. I don't want to force him. But, I gave him some small amount of prunes. I guess he'll go in whenever he is ready.
I'm not trying to force him to poo.
Right now, I have his behind in a sugar-water compress in case. He seems ok after getting his sperm plugs out.
Any advice? I haven't dealt with sperm plugs like this.

He's nine years old.
He has been active, and climbing. He head bobs all the time at his toys, reflection, me, my mom and everyone else. So I know it's the frisky beardie time.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Just be very carefull but do remove them. A good wark soak may aid in softening them.
Be gentel though. (if it happens again in the future)

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just be very carefull but do remove them. A good wark soak may aid in softening them.
Be gentel though. (if it happens again in the future)
I gave him a very warm soak in the sink prior to letting him run around in the shower pan- that was warmed up previously. I'll be very careful when removing them. I just saw them coming out on their own but getting stuck. So, I figured I'd take a qtip to gently remove one of them. The other was with a piece of soft toilet paper. He didn't seem bothered with me removing them and it seemed to give him some relief.
He was sleeping for 3-4 weeks- brumation. I'll be taking his poo in for a test next month. Then schedule a wellness check too.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Update: So, last night, I decided to make my own unsweetened applesauce for Maya and ourselves. I gave him some this morning after cooling it and he lapped it right up. He really loved my applesauce. He also loves my sweet potato puree. I don't use tap water to boil. I use spring water to soak his greens and to cook with when it comes to him.

I forgot to mention that he did drink in the shower two to three days ago.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The applesauce should help him go poo. Drinking the water should help also.
I also also added a two drops of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the dose of applesauce around breakfast time just to be safe. It may also help lubricate his poop and urate. He had three small hornworms.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I'd say have the paper towels and sanitizer handy handy 😉

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'd say have the paper towels and sanitizer handy handy 😉
I will. I got a new type of mat that's suitable for his joints and will help him walk better. I will be on a moments call because I do have to go out tomorrow to do some laundry. I have Wipe Out 1 if needed, hot water and soap, and an extra mat available if I need to change his mat. I have taken out his bunny friend, leaving his bear, his slate piece, which he never uses, an orange towel on his basking spot, and his chair with a handmade cushion in his tank. He started to glass dance today and be active. I figured I'd let him be a bearded dragon and do what he needs to do on his own. I'm confident he'll go tomorrow.
If he doesn't, I'll keep giving him applesauce daily. I took him out to run around in the shower pan, I warmed up with hot water, -- not overly too hot. He stared at the shower head and looked around with a goofy grin on his face.
I wasn't feeling too good with a tension migraine headache. He kind of sensed that. :)
I also found a poor dog tied with a chain to a cinderblock and in a ditch.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Update: Good news about Maya. He wanted down on the floor so I put him on the floor. He ran around a little bit until he decided to take a poopy on the floor. I quickly grabbed the closest paper towels- napkins I could find and put them under his vent. He went very big. Not even a big urate and I am not sure it was a hard urate. He didn't strain. It just came right out. I readied another sugar water mixture in case he had a prolapse problem after he pooped. He seemed to be relieved. And I decided to give him a big break from eating today to give his belly time to relax. His urates were white. So, that's a good sign.
I massaged his back, sides, and belly for a couple of days. He slept on me before I went to bed, massaging his back, singing to him, calming him down last night.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I'm glad he finally went potty for you. 🙂
Is the dog you found ok?

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm glad he finally went potty for you. 🙂
Is the dog you found ok?
He seemed to feel better.
I'll check in tomorrow. I ran out to do errands today and didn't get home until 5 PM. I know that the chain, cinderblock, and dog are gone from the ditch. So is the foam plate.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I hate seeing dogs on a chain or a crate 😡 if you can't treat them right & love them (any animal) you shouldn't have them.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I'm not a dog person, I prefer anything else lol. But I still don't want them mistreated.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom