sooooo... potty training beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard of this until now, how do you potty train your beardie? :?: sorry if this is a stupid question... :silent: :? :oops:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not a stupid question and it's actually pretty useful. They tend to like routine and they tend to poop in warm baths. If you can set a routine and provide a warm bath at about the same time every day (this works better with older dragons who tend to go once a day or so) then they will poop in the bath and get used to pooping at around the same time. Eventually you can cut the bath to just when needed and put them in a certain spot that is easy to clean up at the same time as the baths every day. Don't let them leave (within reason) until they've gone. Eventually they will get in the routine of going in the same spot at the same time every day and going in the tank will become a rarity. I can't say this will work for all dragons but I've gotten it to work and I've heard of others getting it to work.

KCbeardies

Original Poster
ooohhh :eek: I guess I didn't know about it cause my last beardie Apollo, always went in one spot in his enclosure... I guess he potty trained himself lol :lol: he always went on this piece of tile I had in a corner so I could just pick it up wash it and put it back in

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ah OK that makes sense too. Based on watching them, I don't think they really like being near their poop (I don't blame them!) so training them works out for both dragon and human.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
KCbeardies":wn6he5xi said:
ooohhh :eek: I guess I didn't know about it cause my last beardie Apollo, always went in one spot in his enclosure... I guess he potty trained himself lol :lol: he always went on this piece of tile I had in a corner so I could just pick it up wash it and put it back in

Some dragons, like your previous one, have an area they prefer. Pepper always goes roughy in the very middle of his tank but he'd rather come out and use the carpet :roll: They aren't as meticulous as leopard geckos, but some folks have luck putting a dish down in the pooping area or something else that's easy to remove and clean.

dom02

Mine always goes in the same area. Everytime time it's right next to his basking log. Which makes cleaning easy. I use reptile carpet and I have a square cut out for that area. So i just take it out and replace it with a clean one.

writejenn

My Liz has always pooed in the same spot, when she was small and on paper towels i would just change that section. Now she i=on reptile carpet and I just keep a few layers of paper towels on her 'poo spot' and replace them after she goes. I just took in an older beardie last weekend and am trying to teach her the poop on the paper towel trick as well, about 50/50 results so far, but she is pleased i always scoop the poop out the second I see shes gone.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Mine usually goes in his water dish (easy to clean) or on side of the dish, on a rather large tile (not so easy to pull out and clean, but better than on the liner!). He just started doing it on his own. I was so thankful that he stopped going on the other side of the tank, on his tree or his Habba Hut. He also sleeps on the side where his tree is, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom