Questions of a soon to be a beardie owner

Sushi

Original Poster
Hello everyone!

I usually avoid forums of any kind, as I usually get bad experience on them.

Although, since I'm gonna be a beardie momma.. what else can I do? :D

So.. my questions are:

Any specific basking temperature for a beardie of any age? (I need that in Celsius)

How to tame them?

What to feed them? How often?

Can you "potty" train them? If so, how?

How warm should their water bath be? (Celsius)

Can baby to juvi beardies eat mealworms?
(I am scared of crickets, and hoppers [to death lol])

Or should I be getting small dubia roaches?

If any new questions arise, I'll ask here ^^

Thank you! :)

Echoing

Beardie name(s)
Echo
Hello everyone!

I usually avoid forums of any kind, as I usually get bad experience on them.

Although, since I'm gonna be a beardie momma.. what else can I do? :D

So.. my questions are:

Any specific basking temperature for a beardie of any age? (I need that in Celsius)

How to tame them?

What to feed them? How often?

Can you "potty" train them? If so, how?

How warm should their water bath be? (Celsius)

Can baby to juvi beardies eat mealworms?
(I am scared of crickets, and hoppers [to death lol])

Or should I be getting small dubia roaches?

If any new questions arise, I'll ask here ^^

Thank you! :)
I would say no to mealworms they have high phosphorus which prevents calcium intake. I hear dubia roaches are good but they are illegal where I live.

I believe basking temps should be about 38 C or like 35 - 40C sort of area.

You can tame them by hand feeding them a bit. Its a good way of letting them know your hand is good and not a predator.

I'm not sure about potty training and warmth of their bath.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
How to tame them? Mines are tame because of how I handle them. After them settling in to new environment i began handling them by doing snuggle sessions before going to bed.

What to feed them?.

Can you "potty" train them? If so, how? Each beardie is different. Mines will only go in their cages l. If they are out they get squirming which is a sign they have to go and they go in the cage. My oldest once he poops he’s ready to come out like he can’t stand the smell himself (lol)

How warm should their water bath be? Make mines lukewarm and add the electrolyte soak.

Can baby to juvi beardies eat mealworms or should I be getting small dubia roaches? I recommend the roaches, nutrigrubs, wax worms and superworms. I buy mines from www.betterthancrickets.com. And the worms from www.dubia.com. They shouldn’t be no bigger than the space between their eyes.

Attachments

• 68010697-5050-423E-81C9-77AAE4DB27B4.jpeg
    68010697-5050-423E-81C9-77AAE4DB27B4.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 90

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Hi and welcome!

First of all this forum is super helpful! You should check the Resources tab, they answer lots of basic care questions.

For babies the basking temp should be between 35-40 celsius, no higher than 42.

You can feed them a variety of insects and veggies. For insects dubia roaches, crickets, black soldier fly larvae (nutrigrubs), silkworms etc. I definitely recommend small dubia roaches for babies and juveniles over mealworms. For veggies collard greens, mustard greens, endive/escarole, turnip greens, dandelion greens, cactus, cilantro, squash etc. Go to the Feeding section on this forum you'll get more information.

For baths I set the water about 37-40 Celsius. The general rule is that if it feels too hot/cold for your hand then it's probably too hot/cold for beardie..

And potty training! I've seen videos on YT some people do successfully potty train their beardies. I guess it just depend on how and where you want them to go. Mine goes in the same corner of his tank every time, but I've never trained him, just sort of make that corner more available to him. Some people see their beardie about to go and put them in the bath immediately, so they only go in the bath.

Research is super important before getting a beardie so ask away!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Hi and welcome!
I think that it's great that you came here to do your research and I agree with points shared before me. There's a lot of great advice on this site.

I don't feed Rocky mealworms- I have stuck with dubias and superworms (which you will also hear mixed messages). Like human food, there's going to be some back and forth but we have to learn and monitor the behavior of our beardies very carefully and continuously. Nonetheless, I believe consistently, superworms are a no for superworms.

Rocky was not potty trained by me but I got him at a young age and he naturally went to the same spot in his enclosure since day 1. I switched enclosures but Rocky stuck with the same spot...he went just a little closer to the glass. I think like @RangoRocky mentioned, they can't stand the smell of their poop so with it being a larger enclosure he wanted to be certain that I could see it and get it out. And believe me, what I did move fast enough, he glass surfed or banged on the glass.
In fact, it was the first time he glass surfed and it was at night- I was like what in the world is going on but once you smell the poop, you'll understand why quickly!

As Rocky gets older and can spend time out of his enclosure, Rocky will go back to the enclosure to poop. When I wasn't around, he found the bathroom and pooped by the toilet (true story- see my posts).

You are in for a fascinating experience!

I bathe Rocky around 85-92 degrees Fahrenheit. I have a digital thermometer and check the water before putting Rocky into it). I then check it as time goes on as the still water begins to cool. I noticed when Rocky was younger, he didn't mind baths...15 minutes was a breeze...now I pray that he lasts 10 minutes. Last week he jumped out twice.

Depending on the temperament of your beardie, your taming time and tactics will vary. I didn't see it as taming. I had to get used to Rocky (and face my fears- see other post) and Rocky had to adjust to this new GIANT PERSON, a new home, gain trust etc. I put Rocky in my room and let him watch me. I've heard don't touch them for a week...looking back, I think it was too long and it contributed to my fears - Oh this is about Rocky.
I put Rocky's set up in my room but way across the room because I read in my room, I talk on the phone, watch TV and spend relaxing time- so Rocky can naturally watch me being me. The only hang up with this is when it's bedtime for Rocky, tv off for me. And Rocky prefers cartoons and music while I work so I if I am in my room in the daytime, I have to suffer.
While I could've used my home office is too stressful, and he would've left, lol (and so would I).

I would feed Rocky with tongs but then hand him the greens, he would then move closer and I would move back further! Once I got it together, it was all good.
I would then move to picking him up out of the tank. I believe I used gloves so he could associate it with leaving the enclosure. I would have pep talks with Rocky. These talks lasted hours and that's when I asked myself, "WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO?!" Rocky would put his hand in mine like, "C'MON"- but I was still nervous. I thought Rocky would bite me, run under the bed- get lost and I would never find him. I promise you, there are adventures but NOTHING THAT I THOUGHT I WOULD BE.

I also cut up fleece from an old shirt and put it in Rocky's enclosure and carrier- it helped. I actually keep it to this day. Rocky doesn't NEED it but if we are in the store late, Rocky will get right under it and go to bed so it comes in handy. He will sleep in light but when people peek in his carrier and he doesn't want to be bothered, it's hilarious!

As I type this, Rocky would be up. I freaked out, he had a fun day yesterday and is probably tired. I just screamed his name 6 times...he's looking at me like I'm crazy but once he opened his eyes, I'm okay. Now I say, "go back to bed" LOL
Rocky is so routine that he has trained me. As this is my first reptile and he can't talk, he had me on pins and needles (and obviously still does).

As much as I handle Rocky and we play all day- Rocky has just started sleeping in my bed at night. I have had Rocky since May 2022. Rocky gives me "hugs" daily (see posts for explanation) but he also brushes me off and my feelings are hurt, LOL

Don't buy everything (unless you just want to spoil your beardie like me). You need certain things and other things like the timers are life savers. You can find some things at the hardware store, look online for sales- make sure that your beardie had something to climb on, bask, proper lighting, fixtures- the distance, enclosure size, calcium and vitamin supplements- these are all key but all of the extras that you might be convinced that you need isn't true like coiled or colored lights- detrimental to your beardie's health. The harness is adorable...I know Halloween is coming up...not a priority. I think you know what I mean. All the extras come in time.

No two beardies are the same but the love that we have for our beardies is immeasurable. Keep asking questions- there are so many people with so much experience, so much technical knowledge. I tend to share stories as I can only explain what Rocky is putting me through, I mean, that I have experience with Rocky so far, lol
I also recommend using the search button. It may address some of the questions you have.

Okay Rocky is up now, I have to go prepare his water and daily greens. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:

Sushi

Original Poster
Thank you everyone!

Your replies are so so so helpful, and made things easier for me <3

As for mealies, I give my leopard them. Been that way for months, and there are no signs of him of not absorbing calcium. So that sounds kinda like a myth to me-
Unless beardies have some sort of a reaction to mealworms?

Couple more questions came up to my mind:

How often to give them insects, and how often veggies?

Can I feed it veggies until small dubias arrive in the mail?

Can I leave its basking spot temperature at 38°C?

Thank you! ^^

Sushi

Original Poster
Hi and welcome!
I think that it's great that you came here to do your research and I agree with points shared before me. There's a lot of great advice on this site.

I don't feed Rocky mealworms- I have stuck with dubias and superworms (which you will also hear mixed messages). Like human food, there's going to be some back and forth but we have to learn and monitor the behavior of our beardies very carefully and continuously. Nonetheless, I believe consistently, superworms are a no for superworms.

Rocky was not potty trained by me but I got him at a young age and he naturally went to the same spot in his enclosure since day 1. I switched enclosures but Rocky stuck with the same spot...he went just a little closer to the glass. I think like @RangoRocky mentioned, they can't stand the smell of their poop so with it being a larger enclosure he wanted to be certain that I could see it and get it out. And believe me, what I did move fast enough, he glass surfed or banged on the glass.
In fact, it was the first time he glass surfed and it was at night- I was like what in the world is going on but once you smell the poop, you'll understand why quickly!

As Rocky gets older and can spend time out of his enclosure, Rocky will go back to the enclosure to poop. When I wasn't around, he found the bathroom and pooped by the toilet (true story- see my posts).

You are in for a fascinating experience!

I bathe Rocky around 85-92 degrees Fahrenheit. I have a digital thermometer and check the water before putting Rocky into it). I then check it as time goes on as the still water begins to cool. I noticed when Rocky was younger, he didn't mind baths...15 minutes was a breeze...now I pray that he lasts 10 minutes. Last week he jumped out twice.

Depending on the temperament of your beardie, your taming time and tactics will vary. I didn't see it as taming. I had to get used to Rocky (and face my fears- see other post) and Rocky had to adjust to this new GIANT PERSON, a new home, gain trust etc. I put Rocky in my room and let him watch me. I've heard don't touch them for a week...looking back, I think it was too long and it contributed to my fears - Oh this is about Rocky.
I put Rocky's set up in my room but way across the room because I read in my room, I talk on the phone, watch TV and spend relaxing time- so Rocky can naturally watch me being me. The only hang up with this is when it's bedtime for Rocky, tv off for me. And Rocky prefers cartoons and music while I work so I if I am in my room in the daytime, I have to suffer.
While I could've used my home office is too stressful, and he would've left, lol (and so would I).

I would feed Rocky with tongs but then hand him the greens, he would then move closer and I would move back further! Once I got it together, it was all good.
I would then move to picking him up out of the tank. I believe I used gloves so he could associate it with leaving the enclosure. I would have pep talks with Rocky. These talks lasted hours and that's when I asked myself, "WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO?!" Rocky would put his hand in mine like, "C'MON"- but I was still nervous. I thought Rocky would bite me, run under the bed- get lost and I would never find him. I promise you, there are adventures but NOTHING THAT I THOUGHT I WOULD BE.

I also cut up fleece from an old shirt and put it in Rocky's enclosure and carrier- it helped. I actually keep it to this day. Rocky doesn't NEED it but if we are in the store late, Rocky will get right under it and go to bed so it comes in handy. He will sleep in light but when people peek in his carrier and he doesn't want to be bothered, it's hilarious!

As I type this, Rocky would be up. I freaked out, he had a fun day yesterday and is probably tired. I just screamed his name 6 times...he's looking at me like I'm crazy but once he opened his eyes, I'm okay. Now I say, "go back to bed" LOL
Rocky is so routine that he has trained me. As this is my first reptile and he can't talk, he had me on pins and needles (and obviously still does).

As much as I handle Rocky and we play all day- Rocky has just started sleeping in my bed at night. I have had Rocky since May 2022. Rocky gives me "hugs" daily (see posts for explanation) but he also brushes me off and my feelings are hurt, LOL

Don't buy everything (unless you just want to spoil your beardie like me). You need certain things and other things like the timers are life savers. You can find some things at the hardware store, look online for sales- make sure that your beardie had something to climb on, bask, proper lighting, fixtures- the distance, enclosure size, calcium and vitamin supplements- these are all key but all of the extras that you might be convinced that you need isn't true like coiled or colored lights- detrimental to your beardie's health. The harness is adorable...I know Halloween is coming up...not a priority. I think you know what I mean. All the extras come in time.

No two beardies are the same but the love that we have for our beardies is immeasurable. Keep asking questions- there are so many people with so much experience, so much technical knowledge. I tend to share stories as I can only explain what Rocky is putting me through, I mean, that I have experience with Rocky so far, lol
I also recommend using the search button. It may address some of the questions you have.

Okay Rocky is up now, I have to go prepare his water and daily greens. I wish you the best of luck.
Very cute story! Made me even more hyped for my beardie 😁

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If you get a baby feed it 2 to 3 times a day as much protein as it will eat in 15ish minutes. Dust with calcium 1 time per day every day, dust with calcium that has d3 a couple times per week. Dust with multivitamin 2 to 3 times per week (1 time that day)
The issue with mealworms is that babies have a hard time digesting the exoskeleton, and can become impacted try to eat them. It can end in tragedy. Best to avoid them until your dragon is older. Feed a mixture of greens every day. They tend to not eat them well but they still need to be offered.
Oh and welcome.

Sushi

Original Poster
If you get a baby feed it 2 to 3 times a day as much protein as it will eat in 15ish minutes. Dust with calcium 1 time per day every day, dust with calcium that has d3 a couple times per week. Dust with multivitamin 2 to 3 times per week (1 time that day)
The issue with mealworms is that babies have a hard time digesting the exoskeleton, and can become impacted try to eat them. It can end in tragedy. Best to avoid them until your dragon is older. Feed a mixture of greens every day. They tend to not eat them well but they still need to be offered.
Oh and welcome.
Okay thank you, that makes a lot more sense to me 🙂

As for vitamins, I use Arcadia Earth Pro A. It uses already the needed vitamins. Do you need to know its ingredients? I think it would be helpful. I also have the same powder, but with added d3.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
If your new pal doesn't like the powder you can use liquid calcium also. You can also get flavored calcium now, i have decent success with the strawberry banana flavored.

Sushi

Original Poster
If your new pal doesn't like the powder you can use liquid calcium also. You can also get flavored calcium now, i have decent success with the strawberry banana flavored.
That is very interesting! Never heard of liquid calcium lol.

Here is the one I got:

Attachments

• 20220916_175850684.jpg
    20220916_175850684.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220916_175906818.jpg
    20220916_175906818.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 77

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I think your better off doing a stand alone calcium, they only need multivitamins a couple times per week, but they need calcium everyday when they are little. You will see when you get your beardie, they grow like nothing I've ever seen. I swear if you watch i think you just might be able to see them growing lol. But because of how fast they grow they need abundant calcium and protein.

Echoing

Beardie name(s)
Echo
Thank you everyone!

Your replies are so so so helpful, and made things easier for me <3

As for mealies, I give my leopard them. Been that way for months, and there are no signs of him of not absorbing calcium. So that sounds kinda like a myth to me-
Unless beardies have some sort of a reaction to mealworms?

Couple more questions came up to my mind:

How often to give them insects, and how often veggies?

Can I feed it veggies until small dubias arrive in the mail?

Can I leave its basking spot temperature at 38°C?

Thank you! ^^

Yeah for Mealworms the Chitin shell is very thick and they have high phosphorus but its different per reptile I would believe I can go fact check in a sec.

Sushi

Original Poster
Yeah for Mealworms the Chitin shell is very thick and they have high phosphorus but its different per reptile I would believe I can go fact check in a sec.
Makes sense. I heard mealies are not very good food for any reptiles. You are right, it does vary per reptile, and some may not even touch these funky worms. I had my gecko for over a year now, and he mostly gets mealworms due to my phobia of crickets and hoppers (insert PTSD here lol). He does have issues pooping though. But just overall. Even after dubias he wouldn't poop for 2 weeks. Been that way for over a year, never thin nor lethargic. He was tested for parasites and all that, and nothing. Guessing genetics.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom