Some Dubia Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikhail

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. I don't use cable or heating pad because I'm slightly scared of a melt through, but more just because I already have so much lamp equipment on hand and don't want to buy anything. So all of my bins just get hit up with a light when necessary. It's also FL and I shut off ac to the roach room so were talking a roomtemp of 85 to begin with.

I agree with the buy more and save money sooner idea. Dubia are one of the faster producing species, but it can still take months to really get to a good number to feed off of. Plus at 20 bucks a hundred they are a cheaper roach than deaths head or discoidalis. (never forget about the lobster roaches though. One of my favorites for a small roach)

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
What kind of roaches are you using in Fla ? I thought they were restricted ?

I make use of the heat rising from my vivs to provide the nessecery temps.
I placed all 4 of the bins on top of the 3 vivs, and the MVBs brought the temps up quite nicely!
I just have to make sure the water crystals are replaced every few days, and all is good !
Just wish my monsters would leave SOMETHING to breed ;)
Janie

Delshara

Hatchling Member
Mikhail":083e8 said:
Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. I don't use cable or heating pad because I'm slightly scared of a melt through, but more just because I already have so much lamp equipment on hand and don't want to buy anything. So all of my bins just get hit up with a light when necessary. It's also FL and I shut off ac to the roach room so were talking a roomtemp of 85 to begin with.

I agree with the buy more and save money sooner idea. Dubia are one of the faster producing species, but it can still take months to really get to a good number to feed off of. Plus at 20 bucks a hundred they are a cheaper roach than deaths head or discoidalis. (never forget about the lobster roaches though. One of my favorites for a small roach)

Don't dubia hate light though? Or do you just point and shine for a few minutes, then stop?

I really love this thread. :) Very informative.

Mikhail

Blaberus discoidalis are entirely legal in the state of FL. Most shipping sites do not say so because they are doing a blanket ban, but call FL dept. of agriculture and talk to some of their entomologists. They're mostly concerned about dubia, turks, and some others. They gave me the green light on Discoidalis.

Although, in my area lobster roaches are also quite popular. I know a lot of locals who disregard the rules and I ... I'm in the extreme north of FL so the winters get too cold for them. IMO the real place of concern is more southern like Miami. However, I have observed wild colonies of Turkistan roaches in the summer. I'm definitly not approving of introducing species.

I kept dubia for a brief period, they didn't seem bothered by red light. I know it has no effect on lobster or discoidalis. I got 600 dubia for 60 bucks and they all got resold of fed to my Theraphosa blondi so I didn't keep them long term.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
You must be just below me then ! I'm in Savannah !
that is good to know ! I have friends in Fla that would love to have roaches for their dragons ! I'll have to let them know about that!
Janie.

Mikhail

Ya Im in Pensacola. I was living in Hawaii for a few years. There things are seriously restricted. No roaches no snakes, only some lizards and frogs.
ya let them know for sure. Discoidalis is a good breed. Then again if they are looking for other things they are already in FL too if shipping is a concern.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Yes she is in fla, and I have told her all about my roaches. She wants to try, to offer a better variety and nutrient base. I left her a message online so the next time she logs into her email it'll be there waiting !
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom