So how did your beardies get their names?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many interesting names I see here on these boards, I'm just curious how did we come up with them?
Freddie was named after the Beardie in Nims' Island. Bad movie, Jody Foster is just so wrong in that role. But anyways, my 9 year old daughter who had wanted a Beardie for a while announced that when we get a beardie she's gonna name him Fred. And she did, and HE really is a he named Fred. I was worried that it would havta be Frederina for a while. That's my boring story. Liz

I'm a H.P. Lovecraft nut, and one of the iconic monsters he wrote about was called Dagon. It was a gigantic reptilian monster god from the ocean so I thought the name would be appropriate for my lizard, although beardies arn't exactly aquatic.

I saw this and had to reply haha. My beardie Loki got him name because Loki is the Norse god of mischief and it just seemed very fitting haha.

My first beardie, who stole my heart and started my obsession, was named Captain Jack after the Character from the Pirates movie-kinda silly, but just love Johnny Depp in this role. Luckily, we guessed correctly and the 6 inch beardie we brought home was a boy! :blob5:

kiara

Hatchling Member
Ryuu got her name because I was at a total loss for a name... normally my pets have cool names, well, I think they are cool... my bettas especially- Icarus b/c he was pure white like feathers, Pan because when I got him life was chaotic, Llyr for the Welsh god of the sea, Shadow named after a character from Neil Gaiman's book, American Gods.

I thought for days on Ryuu's name, and my husband found the word for dragon in Japanese (he is studying the language). We figured if she was a HE, it would be spelled Ryu, and if she was a SHE, then it would be spelled with two "u"s .... but I didn't like how Ryu looked, so regardless of the gender, I stuck with Ryuu......

Angiecountrygirl

Juvie Member
wickednick":87c24 said:
I'm a H.P. Lovecraft nut, and one of the iconic monsters he wrote about was called Dagon. It was a gigantic reptilian monster god from the ocean so I thought the name would be appropriate for my lizard, although beardies arn't exactly aquatic.

That's a great story! H.P. Lovecraft is an amazingly trippy band- My husband and I Love them (It's good to know that others haven't overlooked some of the Good'ol Music of the past)! Originally I named my beardie (which I have had alittle over 2 weeks) Gandalf (which most would assume from "Lord of the Rings" which did help it to be a cool name, lol)... But I thought what a great band from the 60's as well ;)
Unfortunately my friend had used the name for her albino catfish, so I switched to FALKOR because he was such a cool, friendly (and hairy looking, lol) dragon in "The Never Ending Story" movie!!! :roll:

Angiecountrygirl

Juvie Member
chemical718":6cd60 said:
i named my 4 mo old male beardie sepheroth (seph for short) after a character in final fantasy 7 the videogame i was playing miniutes befor purchasing my little baby beardie :D

Very cool... My 9 year old cat's name is "CLOUD" because of Final Fantasy VII...

xLilliax

Hatchling Member
Uh...my granny named mine lmao, well unintentionally, anyway.
She was coming back from Florida and was telling me about this nice old lady named Lillia that resembled a dragon because of her big nose and..well just the way her face was shaped, I guess.

I also thought the name was pretty.

Tiantha

Hatchling Member
The new girl Alisha was named after my Gargoyle character in a game I played. She's tough sweet kind and... fierce. My new Queen of the Viv. See the new posted thread First Impressions.

carmallarm

Hatchling Member
I named my first Beardie "Walker" because when she was little, she liked to stand up against the glass walls of her cage with her little belly against the glass.

My 2 rescue Beardies came from an animal shelter with the names "Sunny" (because she had yellow coloration on her head) and "Draco" for obvious reasons (he's a boy lizard). After caring for the lizards for a year to help them regain some weight and become healthier, I re-homed Draco to a wonderful family who kept his original name. I'm keeping Sunny, and will let her keep the name because, though I think it's a little cliche, I like it. :wink:

SugaReina

Oh I like this! When I first got my beardie, I couldn't tell if he was a boy or a girl, but I insisted he was a boy. I named him Ryuu after the street fighter. Then, he got a little older and I was thinking "OMG, he's a she, I need a girl name now!!!!". I discussed my issue of the boy name for a girl beardie with my family and my sister jockingly suggested "Ryina", but that made me think of Reina (the Spanish word for queen). So, then my beardie was Reina for a while...until finally HE was big enough to figure out his gender. So, instead of going back to Ryuu, I just went to Reina (queen), to Rey (king).

HYPORollo

Juvie Member
why your dragon doesnt know who he is poor thing it has multiple personality disorder after all those names and genders :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:

Haha, Big Buddha got his name after he was also mistaken for a girl!

His original name was "Neegle" I bought him from a family whos little 4 year old girl was his "owner", but her father did most of the work, she just played with him, but didnt like how his nails were sharp lol. So they sold me him for 125 dollars with the Viv, lights, dishes, etc. It was a steal of a deal.

At first I decided to name "her" Satori, which is a Japanese Buddhist term for Enlightenment. I came up with Satori because I spelt "Stories" wrong, and wrote "Satories" through a text message. I then recognised it was a cool looking word, so I looked up Satori (as I recognized it aswell), and I found out the meaning. I loved it.

When I sexed my big Buddha, turned out, she was a he. I guess all little girls want their pets to be girls aswell! Anyways, so because Satori is sort of a girly name, I realized I like the theme of Buddhism. I decided to name him Buddha!

Of course, hes also got the stereo typical "buddha belly" too, makes it fitting I thought; and yes, I do rub his belly for good luck! Lol!

MeganAlyse

Hatchling Member
I got my bearded dragon two and a half months ago from PetsMart... I was planning on buying one from a breeder, but when I went to PetsMart one day, he was there. He stood out from all the others because he was bright red by comparison. Of course, I was praying for him to be a girl, but lo and behold, she was a he. Of course, by the time I figured that out, I had already named "her" Krishna.

I worked at a Kumon math and reading center near my house, and one of the very young students I worked with most frequently was named Krishna Patel. She was a sweet-heart, but was always getting me in trouble with the boss for talking to her. I found her name alluring, learned its etymology, and decided quickly over the previously proposed names of Fluffy and Koala. But something stuck, and Krishna it was.

Now, the little girl would ask me every Tuesday and Friday (the only two days the center is open) how Krishna is doing, and what he is doing right now. I was immensely pleased just to have someone to brag to about my baby's accomplishments, even if the inquirer was only eight.

Unfortunately, I had to quit that job so that I could spend more time on my school work, it being my senior year of high school. Sadly, I couldn't bring my beardie to class for my last day (boss says too distracting). However, I had the fantastic impulse to send the girl letters about Krishna-the-lizard. So that's what I've been doing. And it's tons of fun! I'm so glad I got my baby.

This just exposes my nerdiness. Cid is a name used for different characters in a lot of Final Fantasy games from Super Nintendo all the way to Playstation 2. I wonder if there will be another Cid in FFXIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom