So a Petco manager said this to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
"Baby dragons NEED to be on that Vita sand...I mean it HAS vitamins right? I think I would know a little better about taking care of reptiles since that's my job."
Idontwanttolive.png

saleen89559

Juvie Member
LOL Funny. I would have turned around and said, "So that's why you have a 50% mortality rate on your in house dragons huh? Besides the fact you feed 6" baby dragons with meal worms and adult crickets."

Sometimes I purposely go in to Petco to pick fights with the people who insist on giving false info.

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
I hate to say it, but the pet care industry is a screaming
Rip off. At least for reptile care. Between selling you reptiles that are
Too young, the sand/substrate that is wong to the point of being
Lethal, ligHting that is equally wrong to the point of being lethal,
and god only knows what else
It is AWFUL!!! When I first got Lizzy, I bought all of the wrong
Things under the "guidance" of petcare "experts" and most of
That junk went right back to them after reading why NOT
To use it here. How can those companies put pictures of
Animals on the packages and say that the product is intended
For animals that the product is lethal to? That would be
Like putting pictures of big juicy hamburgers on packages
Of rat poison!!! No wonder we see so many Beardies that
Need rescuing! The very companies that profess to make the best
Products for them make the things most lethal to them!!!!

saleen89559

Juvie Member
This is why Alex and the admins of this site should get together and start a store for the correct products and advice. I would be willing to do the webmaster work for it since I do graphics and websites for a living.

Selling the proper products, giving the correct advice, and all of these things being proven performers and having proven results will make us the #1 Beardie / Reptile source.

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
I agree Saleen, except I think this site is ALREADY the #1
Site. I make it a point not to buy
Reptile stuff from those stores, as
Well as the reptiles themselves. If I
Want something, I come here and research
It and see if someone here sells it.

Your idea is a good one!

saleen89559

Juvie Member
The reason I say it how we "could be" #1 is the simple fact that there are only 32,000+ of us on this site. Think of how many other people are misinformed and misled by sales people in chain stores and piss poor mom and pop pet shops. If we could get out to all those people things could be even better.

By getting all the well known beardie breeders on board. Getting some of the accessory manufacturer's on board, and putting together a complete system, it would be beneficial to everyone.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I think a HUGE part of the problem is that the big reptile companies are selling crap like that in the first place too. The companies that sell calci-sand know that their product kills reptiles (If you read the bag it warns you not to feed reptiles on sand, and one of Zoomed's sands claims that the small grains help prevent impaction. They are completely aware of the hazards), and they are good at convincing unsuspecting people why they need the product. There are SO many pet companies that sell products that are deadly, and not just for reptiles. That's one of the most frustrating things for me.

At the pet store I work at, I have arguments with customers on why they should stop using sand and switch to reptile carpet. :roll: I convinced them to carry some ReptiSun lights too, so it's a step in the right direction. I like to think I do my part in beardie education LOL!

ehinoBD

I was told the same thing. And have seen a few stores where they use sand :x
Not only that. They feed the BD(about a month old) crickets the size of their head SMH

morphmom

BD.org Addict
I just got in a minor scuffel last week with a girl at P.J's Pets. I walked in and asked to see all the live feeders. Hornworms, silkworms, super worms and crickets so I could pick out the right size. The lady asked how old my dragon was, then told me she would just pick out what she thought was best based on that. I very nicely told her that my lizzard baby was small for his age (not that you should go by that anyway), and asked to pick out the live food myself, again. She went into the back (where they're kept) in a total huff. She came back and started to tell me all about how I was worring too much and how food size doesn't matter with an adult :banghead: I had honestly had enough. I told her that smaller feeders are always safer and worring kept my dragon safe from sand impaction. (ALL of their reptiles were on the stuff, (yes the baby bearded dragon too :cry:) She would make more money off me, having me buy more smaller feeders then just a few big ones, so why the H*LL would she fight me on the issue!? :angry5:

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
RandyMarsh":2o6g5pkr said:
"Baby dragons NEED to be on that Vita sand...I mean it HAS vitamins right? I think I would know a little better about taking care of reptiles since that's my job."
Idontwanttolive.png

LMAO!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I needed to hear that stupidity tonight!! Thanks Randy!

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
saleen89559":1cj05vqo said:
LOL Funny. I would have turned around and said, "So that's why you have a 50% mortality rate on your in house dragons huh? Besides the fact you feed 6" baby dragons with meal worms and adult crickets."

Sometimes I purposely go in to Petco to pick fights with the people who insist on giving false info.
:notworthy: :headbang: :lol:

ehinoBD

:puke:
dragonlover3":3rrgp5ls said:
saleen89559":3rrgp5ls said:

:notworthy: :headbang: :lol:
:mrgreen:

Nowa days, nearly all newbies and newer petco employees are learning from dragon pamphlets or guides online, without learning from actual experience. Which makes this forum a perfect place for questions etc because everyone knows from experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom