Snot Nose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolo1

I have moved over the weekend and so my Rolo has been acting a lil strange, but she has a brown crust over her nose holes. What could this be and what do i need to do to help her?

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
First of all, welcome to beardeddragon.org! Im sorry your baby isn't feeling well, but we will do the best we can to help! :)

Ok, has your baby shown any unusual behaviors lately? Has Rolo made any clicking noises, popping noises, or shown any trouble breathing?

Here are a few other questions:
How old is your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

Keep us posted!

-Haley

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Oops, i forgot! You may want to take a q-tip with warm water and gently rub the crusties off. And has your dragon had any mucous or an unusual amount of saliva? It sounds like something from a respiratory infection

Rolo1

Original Poster
How old is your dragon? She will be 3 in Aug.
How long is your dragon? 14-15 in.
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 40-50gal.
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Play sand
Do you use UVB lights? Yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Florescent tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Unsure at the moment
How old is your UVB bulb? I have no idea
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? 5-6 in
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? its is a Repti Glo, if i remember correctly. The Wattage dont remeber, it is ceramic
What are the basking temps? 98-100f.
What is the cool side temp?80-85F.
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? A stick on.
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?At the furtherest piont she can bask
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?No
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.I feed spinach and collard greens in the morning at 7am then 10 crickets and 4 super worms in the evening around 5 ish.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?Answered above
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?Yes flucker cricket load and the super worms nothing i dont how to gut them.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?I use REPTIVITE and i dust them all everytime i feed.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?i havent since i started moving about a week or so ago
Do you bath your dragon? How often?Well i spray her with water but she has a big water bowl and she will jump in that time to time but i didnt really now i had to bath her and i have just been finding this out since i have joined this community
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? i had a vet check up a long while ago and i have been meaning to do it again but i just been so busy with working

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Okay, you seem to be doing most things right, but there are a few problems.
1. your 40-50 gal is a little small, but i don't think that would cause an issue like this.
2. You need to replace your UVB 6 months because it becomes innefective after that, so im wondering if your dragon maybe has a case of MBD to go along with this; and Rolo is very small for a three year old +
3.We need to know the brand of UVB because anything Repti-glo is USUALLY bad.
4. Stick on thermometers can be up to 20 degrees off, so you need to get a digital thermometer with probe (what i use) and i have heard temp guns are great!
5. I reccomend a little more variety than spinach and collard greens, but your protein intake looks good.
6. Play sand washed and sifted is Ok, but you should not feed her in her tank with it. (sorry i have issues with sand :? )

Okay, how is Rolo doing? Can you post any pictures?

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Spinach should not be fed to dragons. Somehow it interferes with calcium processing. Here is a link of good/bad veggies to feed. http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
Knowing the BRAND of UVB is very important as many are known to cause problems. If it's more then 6 months old you need to get rid of it anyway. I would recommend replacing it with the reptisun 10.0 (best price at http://www.petmountain.com).
Do you know the humidity in the tank? If you are near a Walmart you can get an Accurite digital thermometer w/ probe which will measure your humidity and temps for $12. Its in the hardware section. Let us know how your little guy is doing.
Sara

Rolo1

Original Poster
So the crusty snot is gone and cleared away, but i still have the pictures and i will post them as soon as my camera is charged! also i didnt hear any clicking sounds or anything like that. She seems to be acting normal minus her freaking out because of the move but i will keep you posted with the pictures.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Thanks for the update! I was starting to get worried. I'm glad Rolo is feeling better, but you may want to get her a vet check-up. You should do this every 6 months - 1 year. You should also get frequent fecal exams. Anyway, I can't wait for pics! Maybe it will help to recognize the "problem" if there still is one.

-Haley
P.S. To put pics on here, you need yo upload to Photobucket and then put it on here. (just in case you didn't know) :wink:

Rolo1

Original Poster
I took Rolo to the vet today and had her checked up and everything is fine, well as fine as it is gonna get for now. The Doc said it could be caused by stress.? The doc suggested some changes i make and they are no different from the things i learned here. So i will be changing he light and substrate and adding to her diet also giving her a bath. Oyea and direct sunlight he said is really important. Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom