Silk worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

smilieone

Has any one raised silk worms as a staple for their Beardie?
I am trying to think of something less creappy then the crickets and dubias. I currently feed Crickets but id like to switch to something else.

Tahnk you,

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
I've tried. It is extremely difficult as they are sensitive to everything. Needless to say, I've failed but a few others on this board were successful.

Roaches seem pretty easy so far...

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
i agree with the last poster. there are people who have done it/do it but they are extremely sensitive to everything. mine died once and we're assuming it was because i had too much perfume on. just like crix... very sensitive

smilieone

Original Poster
is the nutrional value similar to crickets and roaches?
I think I am going to give it a try...... :D

dawnki

Juvie Member
All you really need to raise silks are a warm environment---78 degrees+ , some silkworm chow and a bottle of rubbing alcohol. I use an incubator to keep my hatchlings warm---got it for about 30 bucks online. The alcohol is to sterilize anything that come in contact with the worms.

If you've got the patience and time, raising silks is not too terribly difficult.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
Can you share some more details and picture for you silike setup :)

I am starting one also to go along with my Dubias :)

dawnki

Juvie Member
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnki/?saved=1

hopefully you will be able to view some shots here.....

just get a large rubbermaid tub---some folks put a mesh on the bottom to let the frass fall through to the bottom----using branches of mulberry made it easier because the frass fell to the floor and the silks climbed higher as I added more branches.

Keep yourself and whatever you use that will come into contact with the worms especially clean. DO NOT handle worms unless you are feeding them off. They bruise easily and get infections---results-->kills them all.

Zebras are proving to be a VERY hardy strain.

Are you starting with eggs?

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
good luck!

Certain strains of silkworms are easier to raise than others. It seems problems have been mostly from stock of Chinese origin. The black strain and the zebra strain are more durable than the Chinese origin strains. They also dont need alcohol sterilization. The zebra strain also is sexually dimorphic so if you are wanting to breed they are a good candidate. After about a week the females get stripes the males stay white. That means you can pick out the fastest growing and most robust specimens of each sex for breeding as moths. All the different strains are the same species Bombyx morii

Digby Rigby [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom