Sick Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good for you Laura in getting that tiny, frail baby out of that horrible condition. She is very tiny but you have helped many others. Hopefully she will improve each day now that she has someone to really care for her. Good luck.

SherryInFL

Hatchling Member
You did a great thing and she can only get better now that she is being loved on by you. She is a beauty and that is a great name!

mistygirl

Hatchling Member
best wishes and prayers coming your way. at least she is licking it off her nose so she is showing a little interest. with patience you can get some nutrition into her. Is she pooping ok? Maybe a fecal test. Sounds like she was just neglected in that pet store. She is getting the love she needs. I hope you got your little Fate in time. I think you did. Showing interest looking out the window. She is thin but she looks engaged with the outside.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Still not eating on her own, but I have been syringe feeding her. 4.8 grams this morning, up from 4 grams on Friday :) Can't wait for her to get the strength to eat on her own!

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
Thank you for saving her! What a little sweetie.

Its such a battle of personal ethics every time I go into a Petsmart or Petco. I absolutely HATE giving my money to a chain store that only cares about the almighty dollar, and NOT about the correct care of the animals they sell. But sometimes I do have to make purchases there due to time constraints. It kills me every time. I truly believe they should not be allowed to sell animals.

You are doing so right by that baby - you were meant to find her!

jewl495

Juvie Member
How is she doing today Laura? She certainly looks good in the pictures you have of her, which seems like a good sign.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Still not eating on her own, and unfortunately due to my work schedule, I can only syringe feed her 2x a day. She ate ok from the syringe. I have to keep remembering how small she is. I have faith she will start eating on her own soon enough. She actually was exploring her cage more, and even climbed up her stick all by herself to look out the window. That's a good sign!

294.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, that is a VERY good sign. She has the strength to hold her head up now too.

mistygirl

Hatchling Member
she looks better. climbing shows she is getting some strength and energy. I think you probably got to her in the knick of time! She would not have had a fighting chance without you.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
mistygirl":1jd2eetn said:
she looks better. climbing shows she is getting some strength and energy. I think you probably got to her in the knick of time! She would not have had a fighting chance without you.

I know for a fact, if I didn't get her on Friday she would have never made it through the weekend at the store. NEVER. She still has real little energy but she is perking up a bit.

jewl495

Juvie Member
lauraj1055":3np3bah4 said:
I know for a fact, if I didn't get her on Friday she would have never made it through the weekend at the store. NEVER. She still has real little energy but she is perking up a bit.

Its so incredibly sad that this happens on a regular basis! I'm glad you were able to take her on! In a month or so I'm hoping that you'll be telling us how big of a piggy she is and that she is even being a good girl and eating her greens! :D

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
No good news to report today. Fate is still very lethargic, and I don't know if she will ever have the energy, or come out of this. Today she didn't want to eat her critical care. I tried for 10 mins and got about 1/2 ml in her. She barely opened her eyes:

fate6.jpg

fate7.jpg

I have decided to make a bucket list for Fate, what every beardie would want to do in their life.. So, she has been able to sit on a window sill and look out and feel the sun on her:

fate5.jpg

She got a beardie piggy back from another girl who has made great strides since I took her in:
stellababy.jpg

stellababy1.jpg

Hopefully she will hang in another day so we can add more stuff to her list.. Thoughts and prayers are welcome for her!

jewl495

Juvie Member
I have high hopes that her bucket list will end up be pages long. :) She looks so good in the other pics I hope that today was just an off day for her.

Toasty

Dooter":3mt87934 said:
Its such a battle of personal ethics every time I go into a Petsmart or Petco. I absolutely HATE giving my money to a chain store that only cares about the almighty dollar, and NOT about the correct care of the animals they sell. But sometimes I do have to make purchases there due to time constraints. It kills me every time. I truly believe they should not be allowed to sell animals.

You are doing so right by that baby - you were meant to find her!

I refuse to purchase anything--animal or supplies--from Petsmart or Petco or any other petstore that sells animals. It is heartbreaking to see the sick animals there and natural to want to get them out of those horrid conditions, but you also need to keep in mind that by purchasing a sick animal, you are actually supporting the sale of live animals even if they are sick and/or being kept in bad conditions. At the end of the day, all they see is that they sold another animal and made a profit. The animal you bought will also be replaced by another one that will be kept in the exact same conditions. Until we stop buying animals from petstores even if they are in terrible condition, they will continue to sell them and keep them in the same horrible conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom