Sick Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I don't know if it's good or bad that I went to Petco at lunch. I really have never seen a super sick baby at one, until today. I went in to buy a water dish, and looked at the beardies. That was either a mistake, or fate. In the tank were 3 dragons. One was tiny tiny, and the other 2 were good sized juvies. The poor baby was just lying there with it's eyes closed. It broke my heart. I walked away and my heart just kept aching as I walked around the store. I couldn't take it. I found someone and called them to the reptiles, I told them that the baby was sick and needed to be taken out of the tank with the 2 big ones. The guy told me, oh he's just acting that way because of that 'big one'. The baby was so skinny it was sad. I told him, take it out, I am buying him, he is not staying in there.

So now, I have this sick beardie. (I think it's a girl) I am going to go home after work and syringe feed her. I am going to call her Fate for now. I am hoping she makes it. She has no fat reserves and is literally like a stick, and no energy. Her eyes are closed most of the time. She has already had a bath, and I gave her some water by syringe. I'm hoping she pulls through.

Here is Fate:
petco1.jpg

petco2.jpg

petco3.jpg

jsnsan

Juvie Member
Thank you for saving her. Poor thing looks like she has zero energy. I bet you fix her right up! :love5:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Oh poor little one. That is so sad how pet stores treat reptiles. I just can't go into a petstore as it breaks my heart to do so.
I hope she makes it!

Tracie

mistygirl

Hatchling Member
she is very thin. will she eat for you? if so, try some repti-aid, slurries are good. pet stores know nothing about beardies!! most times they are in dirty sand :evil: Hopefully, if you can get some weight on her and get in a correct temp, lighting etc; she will be ok. Thank goodness you came along (fate is a great name). keep us posted.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
mistygirl":t2a25chl said:
she is very thin. will she eat for you? if so, try some repti-aid, slurries are good. pet stores know nothing about beardies!! most times they are in dirty sand :evil: Hopefully, if you can get some weight on her and get in a correct temp, lighting etc; she will be ok. Thank goodness you came along (fate is a great name). keep us posted.

I tried giving her a little bit of critical care tonight but she didn't want it. I will try again tomorrow. I have some really small dubia too that I will leave in a dish for her tomorrow. She is super thin. I weighed her and she is only 4 grams. She was in with 2 beardies that had to be around 60 grams. There is no way she would have made it :(

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Thank you for taking her, Laura. Whatever happens from here on out with you will be infinitely better than
in the pet store. Sending positive thoughts and prayers, E

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
Glad he went to a good home, good luck bringing him back to good health, I'm sure you will do a great job with him.

Mummapinkham

Hatchling Member
Fate is the perfect name!!! You came along at the right time to take this lil one home. This lil one will know how much he/she is loved. Keep us all posted on her progress. She is a cutie!!

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Well today she seems worse :( I had to actually wake her up, she was just lying in her hammock not moving. I am going to let her warm up a couple hours, give her a nice bath and syringe feed her. I really don't think she has the energy to eat on her own. Here are some pics from this morning :(

fate4.jpg

fate3.jpg

fate1.jpg

fate.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You might try getting a small insect, a cricket or dubia, squeeze it until the guts come out the back, just enough to lightly dab on the babies nose. Some babies will start licking it , and then eat. They might take one or two, then move up from there.

jewl495

Juvie Member
Laura I really hope you can nurse this little one back to health!

AHBD":2j3rnpnl said:
You might try getting a small insect, a cricket or dubia, squeeze it until the guts come out the back, just enough to lightly dab on the babies nose. Some babies will start licking it , and then eat. They might take one or two, then move up from there.

Eeeewwwww so gross! :puke: Oh the things we do for our little ones! And here I thought injecting the buggies with meds was bad. If it works that's all that matters.

Julie

mistygirl

Hatchling Member
maybe some wax worms, they are small and fatty or butternut squash baby food or canned pumpkin, mixed with critical care and some crushed buggies? poor little baby! I am hoping and praying for you both.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Right now all she will do is lick off her nose. I have a mix of critical care, repta boost, vitamin B complex, and bee pollen. I fed her 3x today and she ate a few mouthfuls each time. She is so weak. She started holding her arm backwards, then did a flip over backwards :( She is total skin and bones. I have some tiny dubia I will smoosh up tomorrow and see if she will lick it off her nose. I know she needs protein.. I used to have egg white protein, but has since been used on other rescues. I need more.

Here she is enjoying the view from my kitchen window (excuse the dirty window)

fate5.jpg

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Thank you for giving her the chance to look out a window. How wonderful for her. I hope someday she can take a trip outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom