Shiro's great adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I would like to introduce my new baby beardie, Shiro (it means white in Japanese) becuase he or she is a white hypo beardie.

Really happy to have him/her and I hope questions and answers on this post will help other people that have a baby beardie.

To kick it off she/he is stunning and very cheeky already! Took dubia from my hand without blinking and jumped onto her hammock and is happily watching her new tank.

So far so good and vet check next week and every six months from there on.

My beautiful girl Tengu will be sadly missed but she taught me a lot and she will always be in my heart and memories, RIP Tengu chan we love you so much.

81643-5623108963.jpg

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well today was the day all the work paid off.

Everyday I syringe water from her bowl (never use a bowl normally) and drip it into the bowl so she can see what it is. I forget that she is 2 months old and a baby baby so everything is new.

Initially with the syringe she hissed at it, puffed herself up at it, ran from it and that was before any water came out of it but with constant dripping of it and slowly approaching her with it and dropping a drop of water on her she has slowly got used to it and yesterday let me drip water on her. Today she actually for the first time drank from it :D :D :blob5: :D :D

So super happy with that, she now understands it's water :)

Also ate more dubia today and a few crickets. She likes to be hand fed for sure but I made that mistake with princess so letting her fend for herself as such as well as hand feeding.

She is really getting used to the schedule everyday and enjoying herself as am I :lol:

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes she's still nervous of course but getting better all the time. She won't be happy this morning as I couldn't give bugs at her time of 08:30. LOL I wonder what her reaction will be!

Maybe she will move her lazy @ss and eat more!

Funny girl getting used to her tank, understanding where is hot, where is cool what the syringe is etc. Amazing really. I will try again with the syringe later on and see what happens.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
LOL the little ninja wouldnt drink today!! So funny aren't they!!!

She did eat a lot of dubia though. I was late feeding her and it worked well. She ate 18 and she looks sharply. Very cute little face!

Did a runner when I tried to grab her of course so try again later. She did her business as well so all good.

I lowered the lamp a little today as she's so small the heat is not quite enough. Now there is like a square of heat range. She has her rock which is cooler than hammock because of height difference and she knows it. Hottest is 42 - 39 at basking area and cool side is a constant 28.

I can see she is getting bigger as well. I will give her some crickets at around 15:00.

How's Gabriel and the crew?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh I'm so glad to hear that her appetite has gone up, hopefully that continues!

And we're all good. I didn't get to the post office today, sorry, but will get there tomorrow for sure.

The grandkids will be here tomorrow night and my cleaner is in tomorrow am, so house will be clean for the little ones to dirty up again LOL They're going home on Monday afternoon as that's a holiday here, labour day. So should be an interesting weekend. Eric will be taking them out often again, even if it's raining, to get them out and running around.

Keep up the good work, so you think she likes to eat later? But then she gets another bunch later in the day, too?

Keep me posted.

Oh Imp decided to sleep the whole day. I'll be getting him up for the day tomorrow. He won't be brumating this winter, he's too underweight, still.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
They have to be a certain weight to brumate??? Wow I didn't know that.....

Yes she ate more. Not sure if it's because it was later or because she had to wait. She's so funny though!!! Her resistance to being picked up or the syringe is hilarious!!! She knows it's water now and she's been picked up lots of times.

Baby is such a different ball game!!! It's actually really hard to pick her up because she's so small! Fast..... Wow

Don't worry about post office, when you can is great. I will have to read your recipe again. Oh if she doesn't take it first time can I keep it in the fridge for the next day or so I have to make fresh?

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Quick one

I notice Shironis spending a lot of time in the leaves. She is using it for basking. Has her legs back and chin on the leaf lalalalala. Is this a baby thing?

Now I have the Lights on and 07:30am and off at 19:30 now. Changing it by half an hour every to suit the weather here until it's 14 hours off 10 hours on for winter.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yes, you can make the mix and keep it in the fridge for the next day.

She sounds a real treat to watch and play with, glad the appetite is growing! I'll get out today at some point, mail doesn't leave until 4p.

Getting my house cleaned this am, that will really help.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
great to know, thank you. Maybe you have given me a set of instructions :lol: :lol:

Well this morning I grabbed her, she opened her mouth at first but soon closed it. I held her for around 15 minutes stroking her and weighed her. I was surprised she didn't do a runner. I then put my finger under her little chest and she came onto my hand, very cute.

Still weighs 7g though.

:lol: :lol: :lol: as I look over to her she is waiting for dubia! hhahaha it makes me laugh how they know where to go at what time and just notice our every move :lol: :lol:

Well I wonder what she has in store for me today. Took a picture of her last night that I am happy with. Attach it next mail

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Alex is going to be making an announcement shortly about getting pictures in for next year's calendar and that would be a perfect picture.

I haven't thought about it but have to use pictures that I've already loaded on the computer because my USB slots don't work and I can't get pictures on the computer anymore. Will need a new computer, I think. Works great, except for that.

I love to hear about your morning adventures. Please let her eat all she wants twice or 3 times a day, it's the only way she'll grow. Imp, at a bit older, was eating up to 100 bugs a day. Mind you, he now won't eat at all on his own...

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wow 100 a day?!?! I can't imagine it.

She had 13 crickets this morning and it will be dubia time later on.

She eats as much as she wants and then runs off so I am feeding her until she says no more. Maybe it's the new environment so still nervous? Not sure

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Not sure either. I'm glad you're letting her eat as much as she wants. And hopefully with 2 feedings, she'll start filling out and growing.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I hope so too! I was thinking maybe because of all the running around she's been doing as well? Hasn't lost hasn't gained so it's not bad I guess. When the mix arrives I will be sure to give her that in the morning when she's hungry.

She's on water strike again, takes a little but needs more. I read they get water from the gut fed protein, is that right?

She does need more time to settle in even though she is chillin with legs back and happy in her tank. Very nosy as well.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well she had 10 dubia this afternoon as well as the 13 crickets so seems to be getting better :)

I also held her today again which was nice. Just put my finger under her chest and she sort of slipped onto it LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom