Sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuberNS92

Hi, how many pounds of sand should I use for a 40 gallon tank about? And how many inches would that cover? Thank you.

HuberNS92

Original Poster
z71":1scebfnl said:
Are you planning to keep a bearded in there? I was going to use sand until I found this forum and read this post:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132151

I have tile in there now and it works perfectly.

Yeah honestly I hear a lot of both sides of the controvery. I feel it's okay since my Bearded Dragon is larger now. I've heard of people using calcium sand without any problems. I have tile now. It just doesn't seem as natural, or appealing. Also, I like the fact that I can just scoop out his feces. Also I have Dubias Roaches which can't burrow. So I think he will be okay. Only way to find out right? Haha :mrgreen:

z71

I just didn't want the mess of sand - every time you get him out you've got worry about getting sand on everything.

We keep wet-wipes nearby and just wipe up the poop!

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
Washed play sand is what I use in all 4 of my enclosures, 50 lb. bag at Wal-Mart for $4. A full bag gives me around 3 1/2" in my 40 gal breeders.

Mistyck":2739j876 said:
Calcium sand causes impaction.

Any sand will cause impaction if enough is ingested. I highly recommend keeping an eye on your beardie closely for the first couple weeks to make sure it's not eating alot of the sand. The main problem with the calcium sand is it's pure calcium-carbonate. Being calcium means it is digestible if eaten in small amounts, however the dust created by calcium-carbonate causes respiratory infections as well as conjunctivitis(bad eye infection). The MSDS for calcium-carbonate suggests using a respirator and eye protection while just handling or working with it, so how can it possibly be safe for something to live on?

HuberNS92

Original Poster
FBradshaw":6abh8af0 said:
Washed play sand is what I use in all 4 of my enclosures, 50 lb. bag at Wal-Mart for $4. A full bag gives me around 3 1/2" in my 40 gal breeders.

Mistyck":6abh8af0 said:
Calcium sand causes impaction.

Any sand will cause impaction if enough is ingested. I highly recommend keeping an eye on your beardie closely for the first couple weeks to make sure it's not eating alot of the sand. The main problem with the calcium sand is it's pure calcium-carbonate. Being calcium means it is digestible if eaten in small amounts, however the dust created by calcium-carbonate causes respiratory infections as well as conjunctivitis(bad eye infection). The MSDS for calcium-carbonate suggests using a respirator and eye protection while just handling or working with it, so how can it possibly be safe for something to live on?

Okay thanks for the advice. How do you clean the play sand? And thats great its so inexpensive! :shock: I'd get it just for that haha. Oh and also you think its fine if its play sand. I'd image while eating roaches he might eat a little. Not to much i'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom