Running out of options, need some serious advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menolly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hello,
He doesn't run around, but he definitely perks up when we go outside. I don't know what it could be about his cage, the other light I have in there is a Phillips Duramax 65w indoor flood light, 625 lumens. Sometimes, yes and sometimes no, but the last couple of days not really unless he comes in from outside.
His colors are much better outside then inside most days. They get better inside when he we come in from outside. We are done Saturday, but the vet still hasn't gotten back to me so I'm not sure when we are getting the next ultrasound.
He is done with this round of medication on Saturday. He gets one shot today and his last one on Saturday. I actually have to drive about 2 hours to go get another shot for him because none of the vets around here have that stuff in stock and I messed up on one of the shots (not while giving it to him though!) and half the stuff came out :oops:
I hope so, he actually ate worms without coaxing! :blob5: :blob8:

jarich":2gxf8q0r said:
Has he always been in the same enclosure since you got him?
He was in a 40 gallon tank for the first four years of his life. He was upgraded to a seventy five gallon tank when I moved into my apartment a year and a half ago.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jane,

That is great news he ate some worms on his own then, how wonderful!
Giving shots are not always the easiest thing especially if they move on you! At least he is almost done with the meds now.
Between your flood bulb & the Arcadia MVB that should be enough bright light. Your flood bulb doesn't have a neodymium coating on it does it?
He should have had plenty of time to adjust to the new 75 gallon tank by now I would think.
At least he seems to be having a good time when you take him outside though! I am happy he is doing better now.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

jarich

Juvie Member
I agree, it doesnt seem like after that long the tank would be the issue. Its just that it seems possible given the symptoms, and that he gets better when removed from the enclosure, that there may be some irritant within that space or room. Perhaps you changed cleaners? Or moved something new into the same room? It could be many different things but I wonder if you have the option of setting up a temporary enclosure in a different room? That might allow you to start with a bare environment and slowly work things back in until you find the issue. Just thinking out loud really, as it seems like you have tried all the normal courses of action for other things.

Menolly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi everyone,
It doesn't say that it does and when I googled it nothing came up for a coating on the light.
He's actually on the living room right now because of having ants in my room for a while. I'm going to clean the carpets in the bedroom and living room, so he'll be moving back into the bedroom in a few weeks. The only thing I added to the cage was his new log, but he had already been sick for a month. I baked it for a half an hour, so I think it should be good. I could try that and see what happens.

Update:
So he finished the meds on Saturday. He ran around in Thursday and Friday, but hasn't run around since. It was good because he was actually moving around a lot. His energy level seems to be consistently up. However when he was dubbing around his back right leg was off and if would throw him off when he started moving. After he got going he was ok, but he still consistently had problems with the back right leg. Why would that be? I'm kind of concerned because he's never had any problems with his leg. The vet didn't even ask about that or say anything when I asked him why that would be. The doctor wanted to take a break in the medication for a week a see what happens. Last time we did that the infection came back. So we talked about it and he wants to do 7 more shots every three days. I'm concerned about the leg and continuing on the medication but I don't want the infection to continue. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jane,

When did he start favoring that leg? Is that the leg he has gotten the shots in most frequently?
He is all done with his meds then for now?
That is a hard call, but it would probably be good to give him a break from the meds to let his system clear out a bit.
Sorry to hear you have had trouble with ants! They can be very annoying.
How is he doing, still showing some improvements I hope? Is his appetite good still?

Tracie

Menolly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,
Its his back right leg, and I only give him shots in his front legs. He isn't favoring it really, just when he walks, it messes him up to the point where he stumbles like he's a little drunk but then gets around okay. I only noticed it Thursday because that's when he started running around and you could see it as he ran. Otherwise you wouldn't notice it, because it doesn't seem to cause him pain and he moves around his cage just fine.
Its definitely something in my apartment that he's not liking. When we were outside today, he had fantastic colors, his eyes were bright, he was white the entire time. We come in and he seems to get almost tired. His beard starts getting a little black. Its weird, I just don't know why he would be like that when we've been here for about a year and a half now. He was gaping again today, I don't know what was up with that, the humidity has been high in this area. I'm going to run the dehumidifier at night and see if that helps. Its like we take on step in the right direction, then five steps backward. :banghead: I'm going to talk to the doctor, I want to give him a break on the medication, but I don't know if I can if he's gaping again.

marlaina

Hay there, I don't no much about the dragons as Ive just boughten 2 babies myself but both my male and female do that exact same thing!!! I questioned the breeder on it and he told me sometimes it's a sign that they are becoming dehydrated, not eating enough greens or that they cud literally just "airing" out there mouth...
He told me that I should not be concerned about it as they are both healthy...

You've done plenty tests it seems and everything is coming back normal so maybe it's just a thing he does??
Again I don't no much when it comes to them as I am learning but I thought I'd share what I've recently learnt in hopes it helps!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jane,

Geez, is the leg swollen at all that you can tell?
I know he is getting enough calcium too. Could he have jumped off of something to hurt himself?
What brand is your basking light again & maybe I can research it. I know your tank set up is good.
What about any color changes you have done in the room/house that could be bothering him? Do you
use a ceiling fan?
Can you post a picture of the tank setup so I can see the lighting?
At least he loves going outside though & looks great when he is outside.

Tracie

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
Just some side info here, I wasn't able to read through all the pages. But I have recently been treating one of my females with chronic UR issues with nebulizer treatments with Albuterol and Dexamethasone injections. basically treating the symptoms like asthma. She had also been on Antibiotics several times with only temporary improvement. The steroid injections seemed to have given her strength back to fully recover. This has also been in conjunction with rigorous immune booster therapy. Bee Pollen, Hibiscus and Echinachea powder along with probiotics daily. I think we have gotten stuck inside a box with veterinary care, I hope we can find some new and more effective treatments.

Menolly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi everyone,
First of all I just want to thank everyone for taking time to read my post and give helpful suggestions. I really appreciate everyone's different perspective, it really helps out when I have questions or need to talk to the vet. The other light is a Phillips Duramax 65w indoor flood light, 625 lumens.
It doesn't look like it. He seemed to be walking on it okay today, I'm thinking he might have just hurt himself somehow. I don't think there could be anything. He is temporarly in the in the living room. There is a ceiling fan, but I don't use it. He's right under the window now and he wasn't in my room. However when we lived with my parents he was for four years, so I don't think that would be it either. I live in an apartment and my walls are all white with a tan carpet. There really isn't anything to colorful that he can see.

He got overheated today when he were outside. It was only about 93 outside and we had only been out about 45 minutes. It made him open his mouth for a few minutes and and get a black beard. He seems to be overheating much quicker lately and I don't know why that is. In his cage I've been noticed that he will try to bask under the other light, not his basking light. I don't know why that is. When we went out later that night when it was cooler he couldn't be happier. Why would that be? Sorry just throwing out observations in hopes of trying to find something new.

greathouseFarm":2d23vu43 said:
Just some side info here, I wasn't able to read through all the pages. But I have recently been treating one of my females with chronic UR issues with nebulizer treatments with Albuterol and Dexamethasone injections. basically treating the symptoms like asthma. She had also been on Antibiotics several times with only temporary improvement. The steroid injections seemed to have given her strength back to fully recover. This has also been in conjunction with rigorous immune booster therapy. Bee Pollen, Hibiscus and Echinachea powder along with probiotics daily. I think we have gotten stuck inside a box with veterinary care, I hope we can find some new and more effective treatments.

That gives me a lot of hope greathousefarm. I have gotten discouraged lately with him gaping but knowing that I'm not the only one who has gone through something like this. I have a question though what was your regiment on the bee pollen, hibiscus, and echinachea powder and probiotics. What and how did you give it daily because I've been having trouble to get him to eat lately.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jane,

Geez, he got too hot basking outside & turned his beard black?
He brumated this year, correct?
Your lighting & setup is fine, the surroundings are neutral. It just doesn't seem that it is anything in his tank, do you?
I agree, nebulizing is a huge help. I wish we could come up with something concrete regarding the respiratory issues, along with fluids around the heart.
When they get overheated, as humans do, respiratory issues that are existing can flare up which is why he may prefer a cooler area.
Which immune system boosters do you use now?

Tracie

Menolly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey Tracie,
He's actually never brumated for me before. I mean there are times when he goes to sleep in the winter around 6:30 am and might sleep till 9 or 10am but that's about it. He has been digging around at everything lately, but he's never shown interest in sleeping all day before.
Since this started, I took a lot out of his tank thinking that something might be bothering him. Besides the hide, he's been using those logs since the first year I got him. The hide is new, but I baked it and he uses it so I don't know what it could be inside his tank.
I've been using the soy yogurt because that's the only things I can get into him right now. I have the bee pollen whole granules but I've barely been getting veggies into him lately so I haven't had a chance to get that into him. He might have an interest in eating worms once a week. I'm not at the baby food slurry point yet, but it looks like its going there.

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
Do you have a high/low thermometer to check the overnight low temps? I am wondering if because the tank is lower to the ground if it gets a bit cooler. I know you have a blanket for him but they don't always stay put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom