Roaches loose EVERYWHERE!!!! HELPPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rin0425

Hatchling Member
I was considering starting a colony until I read this...my cats have knocked over the cricket keeper before and the only thing I could do was let the dragons loose...they did a pretty good job...but roaches FREAK ME OUT...I started to morph some supers...I can deal with them way better...Plus one of my roomates just moved out so I turned his room into my reptile room...NO CATS ALLOWED! Im sticking with PWs and supers from now on, thinking of the roaches loose gave me the heebie jeebies...
Glad they are getting found tho...
Aaron

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm not upset anymore, parents haven't found any around the house. It's down to finding 2 a night with the kittens help. :mrgreen:
Jessica

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
Original Poster
OK so REALLLLLYYY close call with my mom the other day!!! My mom was like hunny...."is it possible that any of your little darling creatures got loose?" !!!!!! I was like ummm what are you talking about. She says she was in the kitchen at like 6am getting ready to leave for work and she looks over and my kitten Noodles was playing with a roach that was like 4in long!!! and that he didn't kill it it ran under the fridge!!!!! I was told her that no none of mine have escaped and I convinced her it was a water beetle from outside and Noodles must have brought it in. :lol:

MeatHead

Hatchling Member
I have had an odd male or two get loose, but I have heard that they don't live long outside their enviroment. Plus it helps having a cat to knock them out of way. If one does happen to get out, I usually find it dead on the floor in the morning.

So is it true that they cant live for long outside their enviroment?

Hope you have found them all!

dawnki

Juvie Member
omg.

i'm sorry but this is pretty hilarious! especially with your mom asking if any of your 'darling creatures' got loose-------lol

i feel for you------hopefully there weren't any pregnant females that got loose too...... might take awhile to eradicate them all but i doubt they would survive too long. summers almost here though---warmer temps. roaches are pretty dern hardy creatures. all they need is a warm place and water to survive.

best of luck~

:roll:

spyder86

Hatchling Member
man best advise i can give is to get a can of raid and spray all the little hideing places while your parents are out. otherwise they will find out and that will be the end of you little colony. it sucks but the colony will grow again.

moose9

Hatchling Member
I can vouch for them not living long out of there environment. I have had 2 instances of loose B. dubia roaches. 1st was an adult male that escaped while I was feeding. It got cold in my room that night and I found him on the other side of room 2 days later flipped. A recent event was when my boys were horsing around and knocked over one of my feeding bins with about 2 dozen roaches. They caught most of them. The ones that escaped, I found a couple days ago in another room that was cool from the cooler and they were flipped near by. I live with my mom and every now and then she asks if the bugs she finds are mine or hers (the local roaches). Mom is cool about it though, and she is good with her cane.

Beardys Rock

Hatchling Member
Double sided tape and plenty of fresh food on it, I also found leaving egg crates in corners and against walls collected them nicely though they won't live to long out.

alternatively go to the zoo steal all insectivores inc. mantids and let them loose :lol:

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm sick.... symptoms of swine flu. My throats killing me, I have a fever, and my joints hurt. Really hope it's not the swine flu!!
I found a roach hiding spot in my room next to my bed, yesterday I found 13 under a spare tank in my room. My kitten found a nymph behind my desk in my room and he killed it. Thank you all for the suggestions!!!! I tried the orange idea in my kitchen... my mom saw it and I told her I was trying to catch that water beetle she saw run under the fridge. :lol:

SJM

Hatchling Member
That sounds awful! I had a cricket outbreak in my house, but after a few weeks of grabbing any that I saw and my Mom squishing them with shoes, they stopped showing up anywhere. Collect any that you can, let your animals hunt them. Set out bait in your free time and scoop up any roaches that fall for it. Dubias can't live in the cold or without water and if the temps of your house dip in the night they'll usually go belly up by morning. Hope you feel better, you should probably go to the doctor so they can verify whether you have the flu or not, and then whether it's the swine flu. Hang in there!

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No swine flu for me. Went to the doc, It's strep and nasal drip. I cant get out of bed so the roaches will have a few days to live.

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
Jess! This is the first time I've seen this post. I've been really busy out on the road and haven't been able to give the forums I belong to the correct attention.

The good news is this. You live in NJ have a better chance of pigs flying than B. Dubia infesting a house here in the continental U.S. let alone a house in NJ. Unfortunately like someone said it's summer time. SO you've got a couple of choices here. Catching them.... When the lights go off is when they are going to come out. Your gonna need to do some late night flipping of the light switches and you and your cat are gonna have to clean up QUICK after you flip the light on. I'd bait them w/ some food like was previously mentioned.

My personal suggestion to rid yourself of the headache quicky so you don't have to wait until winter time is the one YOU probably don't want to hear. I'd just cut my losses and break it down to your moms, take the animals out and bomb the heck out of the house. Problem taken care of at that point.

And you've also learned a valuable lesson in all this and it's one I've practiced for many years. No dogs, cats, and un-attended little people (kids) in the reptile room! I love dogs and (sometimes cats if they're personable) but you gotta keep them away from the reptiles. ESPECIALLY if you have BIG snakes or monitors. I've known a few people who have lost a furry friend or two, to the larger side of our hobby.

Sorry to hear about this. And don't worry they won't infest your house. I promise.

-Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom