Rescued beardie~MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

koco46

[img]I rescued a beardie off Craigslist, Lady is a 4 year old female and I am sure she is suffering from severe MBD.
I actually went to buy the enclosure she was in but as it turns out the "happy and healthy" bearded dragon it came with is in sad shape.
We live with one bearded dragon that my 11 year old son takes care of, but I am afraid Lady needs more time,care and experience that we are able to give her.
She is a sweet, docile dragon, but she is pretty much paralyzed, although she gets around ok by throwing her body around, a little like slithering.Her rear legs are like rubber and bend in all directions!
Her previous owners mentioned she never ate greens, but she has been devouring all the greens we offer her along with a few dubias and she poops regularly about once a day.
I am looking for someone who is experienced with MBD to hopefully take in this sweet beardie, I have hit dead ends with rescues in my area, they are all full, I am hoping someone on this forum might have some answers.I am in the Portland/Oregon area
[img]http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad42/koco46/DSC_1160-1_zps8ade73e6.jpg

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sorry but I am on the east coast too. That photo is so sad! There are some things you can do to help her while looking for someone to take her.

Giving her liquid Calcium Glubionate can help halt the MBD but will not reverse it. There are calcium products available with the Ca Glubionate in it like Calci-Blast or just plain Ca.Glubionate. Giving her a daily dose of Serrapeptase can help her overall comfort. It can reduce inflammation and offer some mild pain relief which she needs. MBD in people is osteoporosis. It is sometimes painful like arthritis.

Elevating her tank temp to 103 to 105*F for basking can help but keep dehydration in mind and hydrate her with warm 15 minute baths daily. In her weakened state she must have her head and upper body supported at all times while in the water or she could drown. You can get both Calci-Blast and Serrapeptase at http://www.bug-de-lite.com/Products%20Page.html. A member by user name Drache613 is a respected expert on reptiles and Bearded Dragon.org is fortunate to have her expertise available. Her name is Tracie. Perhaps sending her a pm would be of benefit.

If you can post your set up for Lady here it would help. Size of enclosure, type of UVB, how close to the UVB can she get?....temp and humidity in her tank?....what are you measuring temp with, what are the 3 temps in her tank?....basking surface, warm end and cool end of her tank?....diet and supplements you are currently giving her? Giving her the optimum husbandry can help her overall.
If it were me I'd elevate her tank temp to 103* to 105*F. The increased temps aid in immune system function, better digestion and absorption of nutrients and supplements. In her debilitated condition she is at risk for any opportunistic bacteria or virus.

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
I saw her on CL! I live in the Portland, Oregon area. Unfortunately, I have NO experience with it and actually just got my dragon a few days ago .. Have you tried House of Reptiles in Tigard, Oregon? They claim to be really passionate about reptiles. If they couldnt take her in, maybe they could find someone! I'm sure someone with more experience will have a heart that aches for her. :(
I would bring her in and talk to the owner. So he can see for himself. He's very caring when it comes to reptiles .

koco46

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice,I did talk to someone that runs a reptile rescue,she might be able to take the little beardie,if that falls through I will take her to House of reptiles in Tigard and talk to them.

She does fall over on her back occasionally,like when she gets up on her piece of driftwood,but is able to turn upright again by herself.

She is getting small dubias dusted with reptical 5x a week,and multivitamin powder 2x a week.

Her temperatures range from about 80-100F with the basking spot about 103-110F,it seems I am adjusting temps and moving light up/down several times a day,the temperatures vary a lot in our house in the winter.Temps are measures with 2 digital temp probes(the yellow Zoomed ones)

koco46

Original Poster
I am happy to say that Little Lady has found a wonderful home with Lizard Love Rescue in Oregon,and we heard she is settling in nicely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom