Reptile Carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonym

I am upgrading to a 4' x 2' enclosure. I can't seem to find a reptile carpet that size. Is there something special about a reptile carpet or can I use any indoor/outdoor carpet?

roddy

Many people dont use reptile carpets, but it is good especially if your beardie starts digging. If you have a local fabric shop see if they can source a dense natural (undyed, or naturally dyed) felt cloth, this would make a good alternative.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I would try a different substrate- I personally use shelf liner and LOVE it. It looks really great, doesn't smell, and is super easy to clean, plus, I got a huge roll for just $5 at Walmart. Also look into slate tile- it is really good to help keep their nails filed down and looks natural.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I liked the duck branch shelf liner - it is sortof squishy and a long roll is rather cheap. I couldn't find rolls 24" wide but used a row of smallish tiles along the front and back edges to fill the gap and hold it down.

Tonym

Original Poster
Thank you guys for all the ideas. I like the idea of slate tile. My only concern is that her favorite sleeping branch that I prop up in the corner, would slip on the tile. (It's shaped like an upside-down letter "Y") The carpet holds the branch very well.

I'm pretty sure I've got a few old tiles stored away. I think I'll do a little experiment to see that the branch doesn't slip. :D

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Tonym":2qoz1hy8 said:
Thank you guys for all the ideas. I like the idea of slate tile. My only concern is that her favorite sleeping branch that I prop up in the corner, would slip on the tile. (It's shaped like an upside-down letter "Y") The carpet holds the branch very well.

I'm pretty sure I've got a few old tiles stored away. I think I'll do a little experiment to see that the branch doesn't slip. :D

Just make sure it is rough tile, not smooth.

roddy

Lots of advice here for tile, I personally have an old victorian roof tile (slate) covering part of my viv floor, however you MUST be aware of one thing.... If your Beardie is female at some point she will go gravid and will start digging like made no matter what surface you have. Therefore you need a 'soft area' for her to start her digging in.

I speak from experience, I can not even discribe the guilt that you will feel when always faced with your beardies broken nail due to not providing a digging area for your girl.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
roddy":3enpcqdt said:
Lots of advice here for tile, I personally have an old victorian roof tile (slate) covering part of my viv floor, however you MUST be aware of one thing.... If your Beardie is female at some point she will go gravid and will start digging like made no matter what surface you have. Therefore you need a 'soft area' for her to start her digging in.

I speak from experience, I can not even discribe the guilt that you will feel when always faced with your beardies broken nail due to not providing a digging area for your girl.

All you have to do is make a lay box :)

roddy

JessPets":xf1dzlo3 said:
roddy":xf1dzlo3 said:

All you have to do is make a lay box :)

Generaly the first sign of them being gravid I find is digging, yes I provide a lay box, but if you have a hard floor only they can do a little damage before hand.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I like to include some small fleece blankets or scraps of fleece on top of part of the tile. This provides a nice soft spot to burrow and dig around without risk of getting nails caught and it's easy to clean if needed. It provides some general relief from the hard surface and may simulate grass & leaf litter found in their natural habitat.

Tonym

Original Poster
It's funny that you guys should mention this. I toyed with the idea of having a hole in the floor that I could slide a Tupperware container in and out from below. I'm sure it would be a full-time job cleaning up inside her house with this set-up.

I've been thinking of drilling a 3-inch hole into the side of her new home and connecting a PVC tube to a little dig box. I figured this would keep her house a lot neater. Would I need any lighting for this little add-on, or would a screened top be good enough?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Giving a fully diggable substrate is a choice too if you have the interest in caring for it. Digging can be good enrichment for any dragon, not just for laying eggs.

I've seen folks use a setup like you describe (a hole with tubs of butrowable soil below) for uromastix and chuckwallas. No reason it can't apply to dragons. The tube could work as well, I've seen a few setups like that for snakes. The snakes had a preferred side and would use the other to poop in so the pod may turn into an outhouse. Just Something to keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom