Repti-sun 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgonzo

I can get a repti sun 5.0 easily at the local pet store. The 10.0 I would have to order, prob on-line. What are the thoughts on using 5.0 over the 10.0?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
I would order the 10.0, honestly. My sense is, it's well worth the slight hassle of ordering and waiting. Also, you will likely get the 10.0 on line for MUCH cheaper (even with shipping), than the 5.0 in store. At least, this has been my experience. Best price here: http://www.petmountain.com/product/...bs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html

My own experience with the 5.0, was ok. We had a compact, initially, and as compacts do, it was wreaking havoc with beardie's health. We upgraded to a ReptiSun, and while I would have liked to get the 10.0, I was concerned because our starter tank while longish (2 feet), was quite short (only 9 inches), and I thought the 10.0 might be too much for such a small space. The 5.0 helped our beardie quite a lot, in the beginning, and her appetite was coming back and so on, and we were very encouraged. However, a month in, I felt the change just wasn't dramatic enough, and learning that she could get to within 6-8 inches of the UVB safely, I felt it was time to upgrade yet again. As it turned out, we were able to get our hands on a 40 gallon breeder (thank you Craigslist!), and we went all out and got a TRex MVB, so I never got to compare the two bulbs.

Here on the forum, the consensus is, that the 5.0 is a good bulb, but just 'ok' in terms of the UVB it puts out. Better to go with the 10.0 if you possibly can, for optimum health and growth. In particular, anything you can do to get beardie off to a good start, is always recommended. (Not sure if you have a baby beardie or not, but thought I'd offer that just the same.)

My .02 for what it's worth. :dontknow:

The best,
Em

drgonzo

Original Poster
Thanx 4 the reply. I have alredy decided to go for the 10.0. I just took my guy out of his bath, and said to myself.........how cud I cheap out you!!!!??? He's got to have the best I can get for him. He looks to me for food, baths, recreation, and just living!! I need to make his life the best I can. 8) :D

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
drgonzo":1cf79 said:
Thanx 4 the reply. I have alredy decided to go for the 10.0. I just took my guy out of his bath, and said to myself.........how cud I cheap out you!!!!??? He's got to have the best I can get for him. He looks to me for food, baths, recreation, and just living!! I need to make his life the best I can. 8) :D

I know exactly what you mean. Beardie slaves R us! :mrgreen:

drgonzo

Original Poster
Ya thanx. Hard t write with this guy on my shoulder, but he does kinda rule me. He's about a yr old, 17 inchs long, (I'll weigh him tmorrow). His appetite is good, but I'm hoping to be better with the new lite. will see in a couple weeks,or however long it takes to get the dum thing. Ther are some pics in 'my blog' but I'll try to post some more soon.I love all the replys, info, and people that care about beardeds. So glad I found this site :D 8) :bikerwave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom