Power outage - new baby beardie 😓

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here is his 20 gallon Thrive enclosure. I have the 24-watt T5 Arcadia UVB on for now.
I had to set it up quickly, I used clean towels for the bottom until I can get another Zen mat. I didn't like the reptile carpet that came with the tank. The little bed he's on will go back and forth to school and home. I wanted something I could wash and would be familiar to him in both enclosures. Currently, it's at 80 degrees on the side closest to the wood stove.
Looks good the 80 is good but not high enough for starting digestion to start- -- do you have digital probe thermometers?

ArtClassBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
Looks good the 80 is good but not high enough for starting digestion to start- -- do you have digital probe thermometers?
I just fed him one small cricket. I wasn't sure he'd eat, but he did. It's the first he's eaten since Sunday. Should I put a jug of hot water in there to raise the temperature?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I just fed him one small cricket. I wasn't sure he'd eat, but he did. It's the first he's eaten since Sunday. Should I put a jug of hot water in there to raise the temperature?
It will raise the humidity - what is your humidity in the tank? It should be w/ a digital probe hygrometer placed on back center wall of tank-- analogs are usually off

ArtClassBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
It will raise the humidity - what is your humidity in the tank? It should be w/ a digital probe hygrometer placed on back center wall of tank-- analogs are usually off
I'll have to order a digital probe hygrometer for the 20-gallon; there is just one in there now, the kind with a hand. I have two digital ones in the big enclosure.
The humidity is at 50%, but I think it's because I couldn't fully dry off the decoration I put in there.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'll have to order a digital probe hygrometer for the 20-gallon; there is just one in there now, the kind with a hand. I have two digital ones in the big enclosure.
The humidity is at 50%, but I think it's because I couldn't fully dry off the decoration I put in there.
50% is good

ArtClassBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
I just found out the power is back on at school, sigh. If the power doesn't come back at our house before tomorrow morning, I will bring him back to school with me.
He's currently parked up high on his hammock in a spot right below the UVB, and it's about 90 there.
Should I wait to feed him more food? It made me feel better that he wanted to eat a cricket. But I don't want to hurt him if he needs more heat to digest.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Figures the school would get power before you do ! Maybe yours will be on soon. You can give him another cricket. Can you post a pic of TBD and the size of the crickets ? Sorry for all the requests !

ArtClassBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
Figures the school would get power before you do ! Maybe yours will be on soon. You can give him another cricket. Can you post a pic of TBD and the size of the crickets ? Sorry for all the requests !
I wasn't able to give him another cricket. Well, there is a small one somewhere in his tank. I couldn't find it. I tried to choose the ones that were about the size of the distance between his eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_5225.jpg
    IMG_5225.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5224.jpg
    IMG_5224.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 32

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K the ones I see are fine for him. Whenever you do feed him make sure there's enough heat in the tank and it's not too late. He could still have another one tonight . Another tip, if you lose a cricket in the tank always keep a few pieces of wet greens in a small lid [ like from a jar or cool whip, etc ] so the cricket has something to nibble on and the beardie can find both the cricket and the greens.

He looks cozy up there ! :)

ArtClassBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
O.K the ones I see are fine for him. Whenever you do feed him make sure there's enough heat in the tank and it's not too late. He could still have another one tonight . Another tip, if you lose a cricket in the tank always keep a few pieces of wet greens in a small lid [ like from a jar or cool whip, etc ] so the cricket has something to nibble on and the beardie can find both the cricket and the greens.

He looks cozy up there ! :)
Thanks so much! I'll try to give him another cricket.

ArtClassBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
The power came back on! I put the 75 watt basking light and UVB bulb over his basking spot. I might move things around once he's down in his permanent spot in my studio. The tank came with two hoods, one 75 watt bulb, and one 12 watt 10. UVB bulb.
There are two crickets now roaming around in his enclosure. I put some greens in there for them.

Attachments

• IMG_5226.jpg
    IMG_5226.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 28

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey that's great news ! What a relief for you and now you'll have extra time under your care at home.
Was he not interested in the other cricket ? If not you can take them out if they're easy to grab.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The power came back on! I put the 75 watt basking light and UVB bulb over his basking spot. I might move things around once he's down in his permanent spot in my studio. The tank came with two hoods, one 75 watt bulb, and one 12 watt 10. UVB bulb.
There are two crickets now roaming around in his enclosure. I put some greens in there for them.
If one of those bulbs in the dome is a UVB please use the Arcadia that you have --- coils are NO good! The distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece w/ NO screen

ArtClassBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
If one of those bulbs in the dome is a UVB please use the Arcadia that you have --- coils are NO good! The distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece w/ NO screen
One is the UVB. I need to order a smaller Arcadia for this 20 gallon tank. I took the Arcadia off as I thought it was too big. The UVB bulb is closer than 12-15 inches, but there is mesh in between. I'll order a new smaller Arcadia soon.

ArtClassBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
Hey that's great news ! What a relief for you and now you'll have extra time under your care at home.
Was he not interested in the other cricket ? If not you can take them out if they're easy to grab.
They're sneaky little critters, but I'll try to take them out if I can.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom