Possible tail rot

Bert4Life

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bert
913C0D3E-DBA6-4A09-8591-7612E7BC0FC4.jpeg
Hello! The above photo is a month of betadine solution. Ive seen many posts and pictures but cant tell if this is progressive tail rot or it healing? Part of me wants to say that white nub is calus forming as a new end of her tail and the tail rot is about to fall off, the rest of me wants to say its progressing and i should have it chopped soon as i can. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated, pics below are from a month ago

Attachments

• 5A775ABA-BC79-4382-891A-84B12AC50FBD.jpeg
    5A775ABA-BC79-4382-891A-84B12AC50FBD.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 33
  • FC7273F7-5CAC-4B26-9018-FF6BBAD6059D.jpeg
    FC7273F7-5CAC-4B26-9018-FF6BBAD6059D.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 8B6E2184-7534-4D53-90A5-C3C2E45BBA8B.jpeg
    8B6E2184-7534-4D53-90A5-C3C2E45BBA8B.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 31
  • E5F6D210-BA6F-42F9-ABAB-1CEFBB0CCE75.jpeg
    E5F6D210-BA6F-42F9-ABAB-1CEFBB0CCE75.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 578A5BD0-6A2F-4617-A3C8-68CB53DEEBE3.jpeg
    578A5BD0-6A2F-4617-A3C8-68CB53DEEBE3.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 9070C1E1-E964-4503-9845-7CE2264EFA9C.jpeg
    9070C1E1-E964-4503-9845-7CE2264EFA9C.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 32

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
View attachment 89043 Hello! The above photo is a month of betadine solution. Ive seen many posts and pictures but cant tell if this is progressive tail rot or it healing? Part of me wants to say that white nub is calus forming as a new end of her tail and the tail rot is about to fall off, the rest of me wants to say its progressing and i should have it chopped soon as i can. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated, pics below are from a month ago
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How and when did the injury happen ? It's hard to say if that is healing, plus the tail seems to be in shed so it may look a bit different ater it sheds. Can you tell if the affected area has spread at all ?
I'll be leaving in about 20 minutes so might not be back on for a few hours, lots of grass to cut.

Bert4Life

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bert
How and when did the injury happen ? It's hard to say if that is healing, plus the tail seems to be in shed so it may look a bit different ater it sheds. Can you tell if the affected area has spread at all ?
I'll be leaving in about 20 minutes so might not be back on for a few hours, lots of grass to cut.
Her tail got pinched unfortunately. She had to be spayed back im February and the doctors told me after the fact about it. It came off to me as a cash grab since they didnt offer to do it while she was already under along with telling me theres no treatments. The darkened part hasn't grown at all from what i can tell. And no worries about response time, i work night shifts haha. Thank you for the help

Attachments

• EC992E62-1D5B-4CB9-8FAB-CB806FCF39E2.jpeg
    EC992E62-1D5B-4CB9-8FAB-CB806FCF39E2.jpeg
    545.9 KB · Views: 24
  • E0EF2068-9045-4DDA-A585-F0A320B4E8F5.jpeg
    E0EF2068-9045-4DDA-A585-F0A320B4E8F5.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 21

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is the white part just shed, like it accumulated there ? It's hard to say if it's tail rot, it would be very easy to cut that off though, it would only need a local anesthetic if even that.

Bert4Life

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bert
Is the white part just shed, like it accumulated there ? It's hard to say if it's tail rot, it would be very easy to cut that off though, it would only need a local anesthetic if even that.
They quoted me over 3,000$ for the procedure which is just about how much the spaying was. That being said id literally pay anything for my Bert as she is my heart. And the white most part towards the darken area doesnt seem like shed at all, its rather smooth. Maybe ive been doing betadine too much and its discoloring that part?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
White area might be from the Betadine, yes.
So that vet wanted $3,000 ? Or is that a typo ? If that's what they quoted you it's time to find another vet, an honest one. That little snip could be done for probably less than $300. You could do it at home with a sharp, sterile pair of scissors. It would bleed a little , you'd clean it off and put raw honey or non pain-relief type neosporin on it. Wrap with a little gauze and it would be fine. But I understand that most people prefer the vet to do it.

Bert4Life

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bert
White area might be from the Betadine, yes.
So that vet wanted $3,000 ? Or is that a typo ? If that's what they quoted you it's time to find another vet, an honest one. That little snip could be done for probably less than $300. You could do it at home with a sharp, sterile pair of scissors. It would bleed a little , you'd clean it off and put raw honey or non pain-relief type neosporin on it. Wrap with a little gauze and it would be fine. But I understand that most people prefer the vet to do it.
I wish it were a typo, low side-> high side
And okay, hopefully i can just stop the betadine and itll recolor/the tip will fall off on its own. In the meantime ill try to find a better vet but its easier said than done as this one is the best reviewed local to me by a good margin. I greatly appreciate your insight and care into the matter

Attachments

• DC570EF5-4AC6-4896-8B4A-0097A33D4607.jpeg
    DC570EF5-4AC6-4896-8B4A-0097A33D4607.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 23

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's just outrageous. So yes you do have time to seek out a new vet and get a much more realistic price. Keep in mind that if/when the time comes that they do not feel much pain in their tail at all. This would be a very simple operation especially since it's the thin part of the tail near the end, beardie would be eating the same or next day and acting as nothing happened. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is not a fair price at all! Maybe find another vet for sure. A procedure for a simple tail
surgery such as that should not cost $3000!
Have you tried some raw unpasteurized honey on the end of the tail now, instead of the betadine?
Be sure to dilute the betadine to where it isn't very dark at all, so, it also wont stain the tail either.
Let us know if you are able to find another vet!

Tracie

Bert4Life

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bert
That's just outrageous. So yes you do have time to seek out a new vet and get a much more realistic price. Keep in mind that if/when the time comes that they do not feel much pain in their tail at all. This would be a very simple operation especially since it's the thin part of the tail near the end, beardie would be eating the same or next day and acting as nothing happened. :)
Thank you so much! I really do appreciate it, youve been a huge help.

Bert4Life

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bert
Hello,

Wow, that is not a fair price at all! Maybe find another vet for sure. A procedure for a simple tail
surgery such as that should not cost $3000!
Have you tried some raw unpasteurized honey on the end of the tail now, instead of the betadine?
Be sure to dilute the betadine to where it isn't very dark at all, so, it also wont stain the tail either.
Let us know if you are able to find another vet!

Tracie
I read on some forums to dilute it 1/4 with water but even thats been incredibly dark. Does the honey work well? My only worry with that is it heating up while shes in her tank. Maybe im over thinking though

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can apply the honey at night, when she is going to bed. Just be sure that there aren't
any insects in her tank that would be attracted to it.
The betadine can be diluted down until it looks like very weak tea so go ahead & use more
water to dilute it down.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom