Possible Impaction?

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
Hi,
I just received a beardie (Frankie) last week and this is my first pet. I've spent all week researching and spent hundreds on his setup. His last owner wasn't very attentive on temps, uv, or diet (he was only fed crickets and blueberries daily with no vitamins). His temps look good now, his diets looking good now, but I'm having issues. He seems stressed, window surfing a lot, and yesterday he had black beard for a solid hour. He also has only pooped once the entire week I've had him, and its raising concerns, his diet has been fixed for 3 days now and still nothing. I read online that a little olive oil can help so today I gave him a blueberry piece as a treat and put a bit of the oil on it. I'm trying to get him on a new schedule (see attached image) from his last owner so I've only given him one bath so far (I don't believe he's ever had one) but while in the water he just seemed stressed out and tried to climb out of the container. I cant get him into the vet till next week (hopefully, I live in the country so there aren't very many vets that take lizards) for a general checkup and I was wondering if there's anything I can do in the mean time.

Also I have no clue about its actual age, sex, length (he gets super stressed when I scoop him up so I cant really measure him which is weird cause the guy I got him from said he loves being picked up), or health yet till I see the vet.

2C3C8AE2-63E6-4BA0-9164-D3A909BEEDC7.jpeg

1721FC74-2982-48EA-86B7-7B50F66A3BB9.jpeg

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
Upgraded my setup yesterday wanted to get him a bigger tank here it is now temps are more or less perfect my room gets a bit hot if my PC is on so I keep a window fan goin to get the temps back down
5EC2F617-CFD2-4443-AEE6-FC25A2407704.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Upgraded my setup yesterday wanted to get him a bigger tank here it is now temps are more or less perfect my room gets a bit hot if my PC is on so I keep a window fan goin to get the temps back down
View attachment 74813
What has the behavior been like since the changes? Did you get two digital probe thermometers for actual surface basking temps off the rock / platform ? You want temps 95-100

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your tank is looking good there. I agree, the digital probes are really the best for measuring the
temperatures. How is he doing today?
He is definitely a little cutie, he is going to very well for you once all of the lighting is all correct
for him.

Tracie

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
@Drache613 @KarrieRee The highest temp of his basking rock is around 100-110F depending on my room temp, The surrounding area is 90-100F, and the cooler half of the tank is 75-85F, all measured with my temp gun until I get probes (Is there a way to get one of those probes on top of the basking rock too without Frankie messing with it? It would be easier if I didn't need to open his enclosure and temp gun the highest spot to see if I have to turn my window fan off). His humidity levels are 30ish. I've been feeding him 3 super worms and a salad on weekdays, and only the salad on weekends. For the first few days, Frankie loved his new enclosure and even pooped, but I was gone all day yesterday. Now all day today he has been window surfing on the front doors of the enclosure looking like he wants out, so I opened the doors. He let me hold him for a sec and I sat him on the ground to see if he wanted to explore my room some but he just stood scared I put him back in and he's back to window surfing. I've read it takes them around 2 weeks to get used to a new environment and his 2 weeks in my ownership is tomorrow, anything I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The highest temp of his basking rock is around 100-110F depending on my room temp, The surrounding area is 90-100F, and the cool half of the tank is 75-85F, all measured with my temp gun until I get probes (Is there a way to get one of those probes on the basking rock without Frankie messing with it? It would be easier if I didn't have to open his enclosure and temp gun the highest spot to see if I have to turn my window fan off). His humidity levels are 30ish. I've been feeding him 3 super worms and a salad on weekdays, and only the salad on weekends. For the first few days, Frankie loved his new enclosure and even pooped, but I was gone all day yesterday. Now all day today he has been window surfing on the front doors of the enclosure looking like he wants out, so I opened the doors. He let me hold him for a sec and I sat him on the ground to see if he wanted to explore my room some but he just stood scared I put him back in and he's back to window surfing. I've read it takes them around 2 weeks to get used to a new environment and his 2 weeks in my ownership is tomorrow, anything I'm doing wrong?
Take the probe place it on the spot where he basks get your temp when its done reading it then take the probe and place it on the side of the tank till you need to get another reading in about 10 days or so -- basking bulbs do where out and get weak - compare your temp gun w/ the digital probe and see if they are close you need to be 2-4 inches from the spot where he basks for the temp gun-- humidity is good I would recommend getting a digital probe hygrometer Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com
place on the back center wall of the tank - it will read the whole tank -- the surfing could be a lot of factors here -- tank is too small - incorrect temps in the tank -- the UVB is a Arcadia Pro T 5 -- is the basking decor directly under it 12-15 inches -- another reason for surfing -- or could be relocation stress too -- after we got the lighting and the temps where they need to be we will see if the behavior changes

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
Take the probe place it on the spot where he basks get your temp when its done reading it then take the probe and place it on the side of the tank till you need to get another reading in about 10 days or so -- basking bulbs do where out and get weak - compare your temp gun w/ the digital probe and see if they are close you need to be 2-4 inches from the spot where he basks for the temp gun-- humidity is good I would recommend getting a digital probe hygrometer Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com
place on the back center wall of the tank - it will read the whole tank -- the surfing could be a lot of factors here -- tank is too small - incorrect temps in the tank -- the UVB is a Arcadia Pro T 5 -- is the basking decor directly under it 12-15 inches -- another reason for surfing -- or could be relocation stress too -- after we got the lighting and the temps where they need to be we will see if the behavior changes
The temps I've posted above are the current temps and I've been told previously they were good, do I need to move the lamp higher? Also, the UVB is an Reptisun 10 T 5. Yes, the basking rock is under the lamp, the only other thing he's doing than surfing is basking.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The temps I've posted above are the current temps and I've been told previously they were good, do I need to move the lamp higher? Also, the UVB is an Reptisun 10 T 5. Yes, the basking rock is under the lamp, the only other thing he's doing than surfing is basking.
What lamp are you talking about moving higher?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom