Possible Impaction?

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
Hi,
I just received a beardie (Frankie) last week and this is my first pet. I've spent all week researching and spent hundreds on his setup. His last owner wasn't very attentive on temps, uv, or diet (he was only fed crickets and blueberries daily with no vitamins). His temps look good now, his diets looking good now, but I'm having issues. He seems stressed, window surfing a lot, and yesterday he had black beard for a solid hour. He also has only pooped once the entire week I've had him, and its raising concerns, his diet has been fixed for 3 days now and still nothing. I read online that a little olive oil can help so today I gave him a blueberry piece as a treat and put a bit of the oil on it. I'm trying to get him on a new schedule (see attached image) from his last owner so I've only given him one bath so far (I don't believe he's ever had one) but while in the water he just seemed stressed out and tried to climb out of the container. I cant get him into the vet till next week (hopefully, I live in the country so there aren't very many vets that take lizards) for a general checkup and I was wondering if there's anything I can do in the mean time.

Also I have no clue about its actual age, sex, length (he gets super stressed when I scoop him up so I cant really measure him which is weird cause the guy I got him from said he loves being picked up), or health yet till I see the vet.

2C3C8AE2-63E6-4BA0-9164-D3A909BEEDC7.jpeg

1721FC74-2982-48EA-86B7-7B50F66A3BB9.jpeg

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
He looks very healthy, I'd let him settle in for a while before a vet visit. Be sure they don't give him an enema, some vets don't realize that they are almost never necessary and can do a lot of harm and even rupture the intestines + some dragons die soon after .
good to know thx :)

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
Lmaoooooooooo literally a minute after I replied he pooped :) though its kinda watery I'm going to assume its due to the olive oil
Thats great! I’m sure as you delve deeper into the reptile world, you’ll realise that poop is like a symbolic statue here, when they poop it’s like the world has become great again! Haha weird analogy

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
I'd still like to take him to a vet for a general checkup but this is reassuring thanks :)
A general check up would be a great idea! Make sure that you look for a reptile specific veterinarian, and that they don’t give your dude an enema. Come back here if you have any concerns about the vet exam, we’ll be happy to help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi,
I just received a beardie (Frankie) last week and this is my first pet. I've spent all week researching and spent hundreds on his setup. His last owner wasn't very attentive on temps, uv, or diet (he was only fed crickets and blueberries daily with no vitamins). His temps look good now, his diets looking good now, but I'm having issues. He seems stressed, window surfing a lot, and yesterday he had black beard for a solid hour. He also has only pooped once the entire week I've had him, and its raising concerns, his diet has been fixed for 3 days now and still nothing. I read online that a little olive oil can help so today I gave him a blueberry piece as a treat and put a bit of the oil on it. I'm trying to get him on a new schedule (see attached image) from his last owner so I've only given him one bath so far (I don't believe he's ever had one) but while in the water he just seemed stressed out and tried to climb out of the container. I cant get him into the vet till next week (hopefully, I live in the country so there aren't very many vets that take lizards) for a general checkup and I was wondering if there's anything I can do in the mean time.

Also I have no clue about its actual age, sex, length (he gets super stressed when I scoop him up so I cant really measure him which is weird cause the guy I got him from said he loves being picked up), or health yet till I see the vet.

View attachment 74692
View attachment 74693
Ok first we need to fix the lighting issue--- the UVB needs a reflector- A good reflector will essentially double the UVI level at a specific distance compared to a UVB bulb in a fixture without a reflector-- this is what you want -- I recommend getting either a Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5--- what brand are you using now? You want the UVB directly over the basking decor piece- 12-15 inches inside the tank - if the screen on the tank is a wide hole type it can stay on top and distance would be 8-10 inches-- Next please get two digital probe thermometers -- they are the most accurate for surface basking temps-- 95-100 for a juvie/ adult dragon--- the glass surfing could be caused by temps in the tank - you want 3 temps a basking surface temp middle of tank temp 90's and a cool side of the tank 80's during the day --65-75 at night ambient temp- these things I have mentioned are crucial to the dragons health --- Please no more blueberries --- they are very high in sugar and should only be fed occasionally --- I would switch him over to dubia roaches they are better nutritionally and easier to keep than crickets --- he needs fresh salads everyday Nutrition Content ignore the kale info it is outdated -- I can post websites for insects / worms if you like - I would also recommend getting a larger tank for him -- a 120 gallon is the best option for size for a adult dragon - also another reason the UVB can be causing the glass surfing as well -- once you get this fixed w/ the lighting and temps and diet the poops should straighten out- but I would hold off on the vet for now- its only going to cause more stress for him --- if you need more help please ask

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
Ok first we need to fix the lighting issue--- the UVB needs a reflector- A good reflector will essentially double the UVI level at a specific distance compared to a UVB bulb in a fixture without a reflector-- this is what you want -- I recommend getting either a Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5--- what brand are you using now? You want the UVB directly over the basking decor piece- 12-15 inches inside the tank - if the screen on the tank is a wide hole type it can stay on top and distance would be 8-10 inches-- Next please get two digital probe thermometers -- they are the most accurate for surface basking temps-- 95-100 for a juvie/ adult dragon--- the glass surfing could be caused by temps in the tank - you want 3 temps a basking surface temp middle of tank temp 90's and a cool side of the tank 80's during the day --65-75 at night ambient temp- these things I have mentioned are crucial to the dragons health --- Please no more blueberries --- they are very high in sugar and should only be fed occasionally --- I would switch him over to dubia roaches they are better nutritionally and easier to keep than crickets --- he needs fresh salads everyday Nutrition Content ignore the kale info it is outdated -- I can post websites for insects / worms if you like - I would also recommend getting a larger tank for him -- a 120 gallon is the best option for size for a adult dragon - also another reason the UVB can be causing the glass surfing as well -- once you get this fixed w/ the lighting and temps and diet the poops should straighten out- but I would hold off on the vet for now- its only going to cause more stress for him --- if you need more help please ask
I'm using a reptisun 10.0 t5 and I put it on the side of the tank cause I didn't want the uvb fixture directly under the basking lamp and due to it being on the side the reflector that came with the fixture would block out more light than not having it. His tank temps are, give or take a few degrees, exactly what you posted and I use my temp gun for exact temps the thermomotors in the tank are just for ambient temps. I give him a few blueberries once a week as a treat. I'm feeding him superworms this week due to my local pet store being out of roaches (although i have no clue how many id feed him if I do get some) and he gets a fresh collard greens and squash salad daily. I've read online that 50 gallons are fine for him and I cant get any bigger until I move out due to there not being enough room in my room. Im under the assumption that hes surfing due to him being in a completely new environment than he was in. I also have no real standard of whats regular poops for him due to me only having him for a week.

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
I'm using a reptisun 10.0 t5 and I put it on the side of the tank cause I didn't want the uvb fixture directly under the basking lamp and due to it being on the side the reflector that came with the fixture would block out more light than not having it. His tank temps are, give or take a few degrees, exactly what you posted and I use my temp gun for exact temps the thermomotors in the tank are just for ambient temps. I give him a few blueberries once a week as a treat. I'm feeding him superworms this week due to my local pet store being out of roaches (although i have no clue how many id feed him if I do get some) and he gets a fresh collard greens and squash salad daily. I've read online that 50 gallons are fine for him and I cant get any bigger until I move out due to there not being enough room in my room. Im under the assumption that hes surfing due to him being in a completely new environment than he was in. I also have no real standard of whats regular poops for him due to me only having him for a week.
my setup is almost exact to this one: Newbies Guide: Lighting Help | Lighting | Bearded Dragon .org
minus the CHE and cool side lamp

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,
It sounds like he is doing much better now! The tank looks very nice. If at all possible, I would
try to find a way to mount the T5 tube UVB light directly overhead so it doesn't glare into his eyes
& it directs downwards onto him instead of out & away from him.
I hope he continues to do well for you.

Tracie

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
do not remove your tube uvb. they are critical for proper health and put out very little heat.

if you are still having temperature issues, you adjust with different watt basking bulbs in your dome fixture. i know you were working with karrieree earlier in this thread. follow her advice if things still need adjusting

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Tank is too hot...take that long bulb out use a dome on one side the other needs to be cool so he can escape the heat
long tube fixtures do not emit that much heat ---- if heat needs adjusting it would be the basking bulb w/ either lowering the basking decor or going to a lower wattage --- taking the UVB out would be detrimental to the dragon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom