Pookie's Minions - Pookie's Gone ☹

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Hi Gina, I'm actually enjoying the change in temps, other than the lack of central heat in the house. I find it hilarious as people everywhere seem to not know what to do with the serious change in temps. Lil squirt has never brumated - thankfully - because it's more than enough to have Rosie asleep. I think her inner clock knows it's going to be a hard winter as she has been asleep, without waking up - for a lot longer time than previous years. We finally woke her up yesterday am and she did eat a little.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Wow, Lil Squirt is laying eggs. Hope all goes well with her, she's not the only dragons I've heard is laying eggs this winter, there are two others I know about.

And for weather, Gina, we're colder than you are right now, it's just amazing, but better enjoy the good weather, may not last!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I just weighed Pookie (after he had a big poop) and he was 676 grams. That's the same weight back in August, before all of his ailments began. The last weight at the vet's (back in October) was 643 grams.

Not only is he gaining his weight back, but his fat pads are filling back in as well.

My baby is on the mend!!! I am soooo happy!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Gina,

That is great news Pookie is doing much better now. It sounds like he really has a good appetite now also. Is he more active too?

Tracie

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks, guys! I'm trying not to be overly optimistic just in case it's all made up in my head.

Tracie - His activity level is far better than a few months ago, but since everyone's asleep, he doesn't really have anyone to play with for me to see a drastic difference. But he does stay awake during the day longer now and will sit up more.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hi Gina, got the milk thistle and gave Leo his first dose. He's now sleeping on my chest while I play with the computer. He walked down the living room to the ramp from the rocking chair, we were all cheering him on, me with a loud voice, the other 3 with black beards and bobbing. He made it to the ramp, I put him on top and he tried to climb the glass, toppled over and down the pillow on the side he went. No damage, he was fine as I grabbed him up right away. So it was an eventful morning. I'll be doing this every morning, he doesn't want to swim at all.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
What was Leo's reaction to the milk thistle?
If he's willing to walk the living room without too much effort, even if it's for a few minutes, then you could probably forget about the water therapy.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
He likes the milk thistle and even took his other meds well. I gave him Serrepeptase first now, that seems to help. He walked a bit this am, but not as much as yesterday, we'll keep at it.

Hi poops are formed now, too, for ages they were almost liquid, this has been for the last 4 days, so that's also an improvement!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Thank you for the well wishes. I am able to see now which is great. I am so happy for you that Pookie seems to be improving so much. Its wonderful to read this. I know you must be ecstatic over the improvements.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi, Tonja! I'm so happy for you that the surgery went so smoothly (and fast), and that you can finally see again.

I remain slightly optimistic that Pookie is healing and getting better, only because I don't want a huge let down if he's not. Since he'd never been sick in his entire life (until this summer), I have no idea if he simply has a high tolerance to pain and illness or he truly was never as sick as the lab tests revealed (I know, tests don't lie, but still).

Yesterday morning, after he had his supplement, he ate 6 supers, then a little later one white worm and 2 Cheerios. That seems to be his eating habit on an every other day schedule. I try to convince him to eat greens, but he's just not that interested.
I had decided to reduce his Metacam dosage to 0.2 mL every other day, instead of 0.21 mL every day. I wanted to 'test' if he even needs it, if he's in pain or not, and if the milk thistle is helping his liver more. Then in a few weeks, I'll reduce it a little more. If he's not showing any signs of being in pain or discomfort, then I may keep it that way until I'm asked to bring him in for another exam.

Guess who I saw bright eyed and scaley tailed a little before 8:30 this morning? Squirt! He was sitting in the middle of his tank, very awake. Of course, I took this opportunity to plop him in a bath and gave him some black cherry extract (for his gout).

Unfortunately, neither of the girls had been seen. They're both still sleeping deep inside of their caves.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I had a self-inflicted scare with Pookie last Tuesday night. I couldn't even bring myself to post about it until I had the chance to tell someone about it, just so they could tell me that I was overreacting.

Pookie had been comfortably sleeping in his house for a few hours. I got up to walk into the kitchen for something when I saw that the blanket was no longer laying flat. My first reaction was that he had shifted during sleep and that's why the blanket was raised, but of the 8.5 years that I'd had him, he'd only shifted a handful of times. So, because my stress level was quickly going up, I decided to lift up the blanket to see what was going on. To my surprise, Pookie was sitting up, but still asleep. His head and chest were completely up and off the floor of his house. I softly called his name to avoid scaring him (he'd jump if I spoke too loudly while he slept), but he didn't wake up. I lightly stroked his beard, but he didn't wake up. By now, I was in a panic mode. I proceeded to lift up the blanket to see if he was still breathing, because he should've woken up by now. OH MY GOD! HE'S NOT BREATHING! I stood there watching him for nearly 15 seconds, and I didn't see him take one breath. "Don't panic," I tried to convince myself, "He's probably having a strange dream.. With that said, I again lightly stroked his beard but again got no reaction. I then tried stroking the top of his head, thinking that that would definitely wake him up. NOPE! "OH GOD! HE'S DEAD!" Now I was on the verge of tears, but still refused to believe that he'd leave without saying goodbye. I checked his beard to see if it was black, but it wasn't. He had on his happy colors, all over.

At this point, his blanket was completely peeled back so I could see his entire body, to check for any movement at all. I called out to him again and finally, his sides moved and he took a deep breath. "Oh god, he can't breathe! He's having trouble breathing! He's doing exactly what Digi did the night before she passed away!" (yeah, I was totally freaking out by now) With that thought, I immediately picked him up and held him close to my chest. I kept waiting for him to open his eye, but he never did. Not only did he NOT wake up, but his breathing continued to be slow and shallow. The only difference was that he didn't have even a gray beard. His beard was still white with specks of yellow. He also didn't have any stress marks on his tummy. Because he still never opened his eye to acknowledge that I had picked him up, I feared that he was so uncomfortable (with whatever) that he couldn't open his eye. I held him close and kept stroking his back, to help ease whatever it was that he was going through (if he was going through something), and trying to feel him take breaths.

I sat on the couch with Pookie for a few hours, including nodding off for a half hour. When I awoke, I couldn't decide whether to leave Pookie on the couch or take him to bed with me. I feared that if I didn't take him to bed with me, I wouldn't know if he suddenly passed away and I wasn't there for him. It took me a half hour of pacing back and forth before deciding on taking him to bed with me, and easing my own mind and heart that at least he'd feel my presence if he did need to pass on overnight.

A mere 5 hours later, I woke up with a very heavy heart, and an incredibly achy body (because I had to sleep on my back the entire time). I was afraid to peek under the blanket to find out if Pookie was ok. I stayed in bed for a few minutes before finally deciding to pick him up and place him on my pillow, then covered him under my comforter. About a half hour later, I went back to check on him and to my surprise, he was still asleep. Again, I checked to see if he was taking breaths, and this time, I was finally able to take a huge sigh of relief because he was, normal breaths.

To this day, I still have no idea why Pookie suddenly sat up and wouldn't wake up after being picked up. He never had a dream that was THAT good before. Too bad that I can't speak beardie, because I'm dying to know what was going on that night. Oh, by the way, Pookie's fine.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow Gina, that must have been scary. He sure must have been sleeping soundly. Makes you wonder if he was dreaming about Digi and he didn't want to wake up because he didn't want it to end. Something to think about anyway.

You must have been beside yourself. I think I would have reacted the same way, would have picked him up & then paced for 1/2 an hr trying to decide where to put him, afraid that he wouldn't be "ok" in the morning. Sounds like you made the right decision except that your poor back & chest said otherwise.

Happy to hear that all was fine. Perhaps if something similar happens, it will be easier on you.(hopefully)

Thanks for sharing it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom