Pookie's Minions - Pookie's Gone ☹

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well, I think it depends on the cat. My Squeakers was outside all day, but still kept close to home. At night, after supper, he was in for the night. So depends on the owner, I guess.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Just when I was ready to send out an APB on Callie, she finally showed up tonight after not seeing her for an entire week.

She was still limping on her back right foot, but otherwise looked great. Of course, she was famished and ate a lot of food, but half of it I had to hand feed her. She even came up onto the deck, where she ate her dinner and rubbed herself on the railing posts. After she had her fill, she walked down the steps and found a small puddle of collected rainwater on the ground. She started to drink from it and I immediately told her "NO! That's yucky water! Don't drink that! I'll get you wah wah from inside the house. I'll be right back." I quickly grabbed a bowl that was used to feed the squirrels, went into the bathroom to clean it, filled it with some water, and want back outside. By now, she was back at her corner of the yard, patiently waiting for the little mousey. As soon as I was within 8 feet of her, she immediately stood up and excitedly trotted over to me. She went for the bowl even before I got to put it down, thinking it was more food. The disappointment look she gave me when she realized that it was only water was priceless. Because I'm such a well-trained slave, I went back to the deck to retrieve her food bowl and fed her more.

When she was done, she walked over to the water bowl and drank and drank and drank. I was afraid that she was going to choke on so much water. After quenching her thirst, she walked back to her corner next to the shed and waited for her little mousey friend. Because the mouse hasn't been seen nor heard since the last time she played with it across the yard, I told her that her little mousey isn't here anymore, that it never came back from last time. Just as I finished my sentence, she heard a rustling coming from inside the shed. Not believing that it could possibly be the mouse, I again told her that it couldn't be the mouse but she's welcome to sit there and wait it out. Then I went back into the house, because I was being attacked by mosquitoes. A few minutes later, I looked out the kitchen window and saw Callie lying flat on the grass, about 6 feet or so away from her corner. She looked like she was looking for someone to place with, so I went back outside to spend some more time with her. To my surprise, when I bend down to pet her, I saw the little mouse emerge from the grass. She was playing with her little friend! And just like last time, she was all too proud to show me what she was doing. She ran over to me and meowed, then turned around to show me the mouse but unfortunately "misplaced" it ;) She immediately went into a frantic search for the mouse but it had already moved on from where she left it. Luckily, I saw where it hopped off to and pointed to her its location, and she finally saw it and immediately pounced on it. After a few more pounces, the mouse suddenly had a :idea: moment and bounced over to me, walked next to my right foot, and hid behind my heel/under my butt. That little bugger stayed perfectly still for about a minute, despite my finger pointing right over its head. Callie never saw her little friend, not even when she walked behind me to look for it. Of course, I was cracking up at both of them. I finally gave up in playing "where's the mousey?" with Callie when I became a mosquito take-out dinner.

When I got to look out the kitchen window again to check on her, I had the surprise of my life. There was no longer just one cat, but two. Callie had a friend, an orange/white tabby, also lying down on the grass just feet away from her. They both looked very relaxed and not at all stressed nor ready to pounce and attack. The tabby seemed to be swatting at something on the ground and chasing something in front of Callie. As the tabby was pouncing around, Callie just laid there watching him/her. The only thing I can think of was that the tabby was playing with the mouse. Perhaps Callie was teaching the tabby how to play with the mouse and not injury it. Who knows. All I know is that they looked so cute together. :D I guess I'll be seeing the tabby again, possibly with Callie again.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm glad she's coming back to spend time with her. Wish you could get her to the vet about her foot, though. Glad she has a friend to educate on how to pounce & play with mice & for the mice to decide you'd be a good person to keep it from being pounced on? Priceless. You are definitely an animal whisperer :D

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
My caring for Callie has sunk to an all-time low tonight :roll:

Not only do I have to feed her from a spoon, but now she won't even bother to stand up to eat!

After she ate about half of her food, she suddenly decided that she didn't want to eat on her own anymore and did her infamous look-at-the-bowl-then-look-at-me glances. I fed her half of what was left, then she decided to go for a walk to the other side of the shed. She sat on top of the folded up portable pool mass and groomed herself for nearly 10 minutes. I finally walked over to her and petted and scratched her for a few, where she allowed me to scratch itchies on her back to the point of her closing her eyes. Then, after she had her fill of scratches, she walked down, drank a ton more of water, and walked back to her regular side of the shed where she awaited for mousey friend. That was when I begged and begged for her to finish her dinner, but she wouldn't budge, so I picked up the bowl and walked over to her. I scooped up a spoonful of food and placed it in front of her, with her bowl underneath her chin to catch any fallouts. Instead of standing up to eat, as she'd always done, she remained lying down and gobbled up all but 4 little morsels.

Can we say "spoiled"? :roll:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
On Sunday, I decided to take MoMo outside for the hopes that she'd get "the itch" out of her system. After walking around on both grass and deck for a long time, I finally brought her inside because it was just too darn hot. Then, on Tuesday, starting at around noon, she walked herself downstairs and to the front door, where she paced and paced and paced for over 4 hours, driving everyone crazy. When I was finally off the clock (signed off from work), I took her outside so she could find a spot to dig a hole and do whatever. She kept wanting to dig on the driveway (no clue why) until she got tired of being picked up and brought back to the grass. Some time around 6pm, she finally settled on a small patch dirt next to the driveway and began her hours long task of digging a hole. We sat through one bout of rain with lots of lightning and thunder; luckily it didn't last long and around 8pm, the sun actually came out just in time to go down ;) Around 8:45pm, I picked her up and brought her into the house, because she had done the I'm-going-to-sleep butt wiggle once again.

MoMo's unsure of the open backdoor, since she'd never been allowed to walk out of it by herself before (6/21)
2015_06-21.jpg

Video of her pacing at the front door during the first half hour (6/23)
http://youtu.be/kDzRT7hIJ0Y

I finally gave in and opened the front door for her, so she could at least see outside before I had time to take her outside
2015_06-23.jpg

Video of her pacing, repeatedly, for over 4 hours
https://youtu.be/tGU6hTD1sd0

The excavation begins!
2015_06-23a.jpg

The start of her laying eggs (6/24, 8:36pm)
2015_06-24.jpg

At 9:45pm, she finally started to backfill & compact the dirt to hide & protect her eggs. I have no idea how deep of a hole she had dug out nor how many eggs she laid, because by the time that she finished, it was 10:55pm and I still had to bathe her and let her warm up before tucking her in for bed. I covered up the area with a garbage can lid for overnight. I'll excavate her eggs some time tomorrow.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So glad she finally laid them. That was a very long evening for both of you. It's so good that you can work from home & keep an eye on her! Yay, MoMo for finally getting all those eggs out!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Finally is right, Deb. I wouldn't be able to sit out there for another day. The mosquitoes and other blood-sucking insects are killing me, drop by drop.

Anyone for a little math? How many eggs do you see?
2015_06-25.jpg

36! That's right, there are THIRTY SIX eggs in that container. A few of them had already been snacked on by baby ants. Guess the ants thought that they had won the protein lottery for their nursery. :roll:

I still need to find out why MoMo had always laid an even number of eggs. It's as if she has this OCD for even numbers. :shock:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You won't find the answer, Gina, it's just how many she produces. She is a laying machine & so funny that she HAS to lay outside now. I'm glad Cierra likes her lay box :D

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I don't think MoMo had ever laid less than 30 eggs before. I have to go back to her first year's photos and check on the numbers. Last year's were 6/23=34, 7/10=42, 8/5=38, 8/29=30. Crazy, huh?

MoMo laid her eggs in the tank in the first year. After that, she suddenly decided that she wanted to be a normal beardie and go outside. So strange.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I had gotten home from work really late last night (after 8pm) and of course, Zim was very anxious to go outside for potty. Seeing that it was so late, I didn't expect to see Callie in the backyard. So, without even taking my shoes off, I immediately walked downstairs and out to the deck with Zim. To my surprise, I saw Callie sitting in her corner. I walked out to the middle of the deck and said hello to her, and she immediately stood up and started to walk towards the deck. I was shocked to see her walk across the yard, because Zim was on the grass about 6 feet away from the steps, sniffing at/for something. I couldn't believe that Zim never once looked up as Callie was approaching closer and closer, all the while looking to her left (but not too cautiously; more like a curiosity) to see if he'd change his mind.

I finally had to detour her route when she reached 6 feet of the corner of the deck, just shy of Zim's line reach. Thank god that he was still preoccupied at whatever he smelled on the grass. I quickly told her to bank a right and go to the side of the deck instead; to my delight and relief, she did. Not only did she walk to the side of the deck, but she gaily pranced up the steps and onto the deck, despite my telling her that Zim's still out and will be up on the deck soon. Just as I said that, I saw Zim's tail turn around and he started up the steps. It wasn't until he was on the very top step that he saw Callie and quickly ran over. However, Callie didn't move until Zim was about 4-6 feet away. She escaped the deck, down the steps, and sat on the grass in between the deck and the edge of the woods, staring back at Zim and meowing.

Crazy kids, huh?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Maybe they're getting used to each other, in their own way. Wouldn't that be lovely if she could come over anytime, even if Zim was out, because he'd just ignore her. Stranger things have happened!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Zim no longer whimpers or whines when he sees her, even if I'm sitting with her. I can only assume that he had accepted her as part of the outdoor critters that I take care of, or that as long as she keeps her distance, he's fine with it. Who knows.

Her limp was better yesterday, but after jumping down from the deck railing, she started to limp a little more again. But she looked ok just an hour ago, only a very slight limp.
She had always used her back leg to scratch, so I can only assume that she probably sprained it and nothing's broke or fractured.

Speaking of just an hour ago, I had gotten back a little past 6pm from attending a viewing of a former coworker. I went to let Zim out for potty and while I was watching him and looking for Callie at her usual spot next to the shed, I suddenly saw him staring at something in the woods. Knowing that it was way too early for any of the other critters to be out, I figured that he was seeing things again. Well, after a more thorough check, low and behold, it was Callie, sitting under a sagging stalk of weeds (these things grow up to look like trees and a bugger to kill), looking like a statue. I said hello to her, and just like yesterday, she started to walk towards the deck after a big yawn and stretch. I had to stop her in a flash because she would've walked right into Zim's view/path. Because it was so hot & humid out, and I really needed to be in air conditioning (after sitting for nearly 15 minutes in an oven of a Chinese take-out store), I hurried Zim back into the house and told Callie that I'd be right back with her dinner. Came back in, changed my clothes, scraped the entire half can of cat food out of the can (it was far more than what she normally eats, but there was only a little leftover so I decided to give it all to her), then went downstairs. As soon as I opened the back door, I was shocked to see that Callie was already standing on the deck, waiting patiently for her dinner to be served. She immediately walked to the lower part of the deck and the same spot that I'd been placing her dish (talk about being too smart). She ate and ate and ate until there was only 1.5 teaspoonful left, at which time she looked up at me, meowed, and hopped away (yes, she hops backwards when she's done with something). I scraped up the morsels that were stuck to the bowl and fed them her, until there was only one bite left, then she didn't want anymore. I was surprised that I didn't hear a big belch after that :laughing6:

(geez, it'd taken me over an hour to write/finish this update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom