Pookie's Minions - Pookie's Gone ☹

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like he enjoyed the attention you were giving him even though you were trying to check things out. I'm not sure our spoiled beardies would have actually tolerated all of that without showing a black beard & stress marks so considering that he never was handled, I would say he did very well. I'm sure it did break your heart when he was looking at you. The poor thing. :(

I posted some pics of Loki, I'm having a hard time choosing too. I just tried the macro setting again like you explained and the first ones came out very red and unclear but when I just tried it again, they came out better. I didn't know that you have to "pre-focus", thanks for that info.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Goonie":38c7voq3 said:
I promise that I won't keep him. :silent:
... :mrgreen:

And wow... :( That poor little baby, he looks so sad. I hate seeing beardies--or any other animal for that matter-- in that condition...

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
hoopyscoop":twj8ig5o said:
Goonie":twj8ig5o said:
I promise that I won't keep him. :silent:
... :mrgreen:
I know, famous last words.

hoopyscoop":twj8ig5o said:
And wow... :( That poor little baby, he looks so sad. I hate seeing beardies--or any other animal for that matter-- in that condition...
Me too. It truly broke my heart and took every fiber of my being to not take him home that day, and to not ask if I could bathe him.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I finally made my picks on which photos to submit for the calendar . . . and sent the email to Alex so there's no changing my mind. I know if I didn't do this today, I'd end up forgetting and Sunday would come and go before I know it.

MoMo - #1 and #10
Digi - #2 and #3
Gianna - #2 and #5
Pookie - #1 and #5

I held out for so long because I had wanted to take a family photo, but Gianna had been in shed since these pics were taken and her body just started to turn translucent.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good for you Gina in making the final decisions and sending them in.

Great that Gianna is shedding again.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Some of you who are my Facebook friends may already know this (or maybe not), but for the past few months I'd been watching 4 ultra adorable puppies (rescued by Bill Foundation, a rescue organization in CA) on live stream. Well, from day 1, I had fallen in love with the runt of the bunch named Luke. He is the cutest little bundle of fur that I'd ever seen, all full of a big dog's attitude. Of all of the pups and adults that I'd followed online, none had ever captured my heart the way Luke had. A few weeks ago, the live cam was shut down because Luke's siblings were getting too big to be kept in the pen, and they were making grand escapes. Well, since then, I'd been depressed because I no longer could watch Luke on a daily basis and see him grow & thrive (he'd been diagnosed with a possible liver shunt).

(pictured here with Annie's dog, Arnold)
1235268_497934210298828_1320892375_n.jpg

998960_498660103559572_775978206_n.jpg

1240087_504558586303057_910876298_n.jpg

(in the arms of his foster mom)
577909_504912116267704_602742244_n.jpg

(how could anyone not fall in love with him?)

Annie, the Executive Director of the Bill Foundation, knew how much I loved Luke and actually told me to fill out an application for adoption. After humming and hawing for a few days, I finally took the plunge and went to their online application form. After spending nearly an hour completing the application, I never clicked on the submit button because, other than the fact that I live on the opposite side of the country, I don't have a fenced-in yard/porch, I don't have someone at home during the day to care for him, and I'd never had cared for an ill pet before (for exception of Hallie who had seizures). After closing the online application, I'd been in an even worse depression because Luke will never be a part of my life. It'd been so bad that even Zim had been worried about me (more so than usual).

I know I'm being silly by loving a dog from the internet, and more so for being depressed over not having him.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh Gina, it's not unusual to fall in love with a dog on the internet and how could you not love that cute bundle of fur, really! I'm sorry you weren't able to fill out the application, even though you wanted to. If he has health concerns, you'd want to be home to care of him. Did you keep in touch with Annie and explain why you couldn't take Luke in? You should, just to ask if you can stay in touch and get pictures of him. He is such a sweet dog, looks full of fun. I understand completely how you feel and I'm sorry it wouldn't have worked out for you.

I loved all the pictures, he sure is a cutie.

Hope you feel better soon.
Take care,
Deb
We're all here to support you, remember that.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Luke is adorable and certainly understandable how you could fall for him. I agree with Deb that you need to stay in touch with Annie so she can give you updates & send you pictures. Is there anything that can be done for his liver issues?

He looks like a little lamb.

Sorry that it has affected you so much. Sometimes you have to do what is right for all.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I know that even tho it hurts, you did the right thing for that puppy, Gina. Besides, sometimes you have to say 'no' for the good of all the animal kids you have. You don't want to have so many animals you can't take care of them all for their best.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Sorry for not replying.

Diane - They'd been waiting for Luke to gain weight so he could have a CAT scan to confirm that he does have a liver shunt. He would have to be at least 4 pounds to endure being put under. If he does have a liver shunt, depending on the severity of it, Annie will make the decision on whether to have surgery or not. He'd been doing very well on a low-protein/high vegetable diet, so they may keep restricting his diet in lieu of surgery.

It definitely would be wrong of me to take on such a huge responsibility like Luke, and neglect my current babies. That was another part of my decision to not submit the online adoption application. I kept thinking to myself, "Would I be able to make homemade meals for Luke every day? Would I be able to afford the surgery if the need suddenly presented itself? (even though he would come with a dowry from the Bill Foundation) Would I still be able to spend quality time with all of my babies?", but most importantly, "Would Zim and Luke get along?"

In the past week, I had come to grasp with reality and accepted the fact that I will not be Luke's new mommy, that I will only love one furbaby for now.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
. . . for the time being.

Yes, I have officially taken Squirt in as a temporary foster, until his health improves and could be adopted out.

I picked him up tonight and boy was he filthy :banghead: He had layers of dried poop all over his entire body. I spent nearly an hour scrubbing him clean, despite him giving me a super duper black beard and trying to jump out of the sink. Now he's all clean and smells baby fresh (used a baby bath soap to clean him).
His tank and the stuff in it are still sitting out back on the deck. I couldn't stand the smell to even clear it out, so it'll be sitting there until the weekend when I can stomach the stench to remove the items, then drown everything in a bleach bath. :puke:

For now, he'll be staying in my bedroom in Pookie's baby tank. I may put his log and hammock back in, depending on how disgusting they are and if they could be cleaned, but the repti-carpet is going straight into the trash :puke:

Tracie - What can I give him for the gout??

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I know it was a tough decision to make Gina, but it was the right decision. Will you be kept up to date on how Luke is faring?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
We were posting at the same time, well welcome Squirt, it must feel great to be clean! And you're only keeping him until he's well again? Well, we'll see, because I've never been able to foster and then rehome...So pictures? I'm glad you have another tank for him and that he's now under UVB and a good basking light. It will be so different for him to be clean, fed and loved. It was great of you to take him in Gina :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beardies4life
Top Bottom