Pogona barbata in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
They are rather rare, I have only seen 2 in the last 30 years. Sadly the last one I saw was very sick and died.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bit like rankins , easterns (very common in the bushland around here) , they don't come in many different coloured "morphs" or reduced scale morphs hence , and because they are endemic here (NSW), few people have breeding programs.

They are a bit bigger than centrals , but I can attest they make very good pets too. I had a wild caught one as a pet who tamed up for me in under a week or so and was very gentle (he did bite by baby sister once , I think she was tormenting him or hurt him so got bitten for it).

When I was holidaying at Ulan (near Gulgong) n as a child, I would often go walkabout along the fire trails and dirt roads and often came across easterns on stumps or fences who do their best to pretend to be a bit of the tree stump as you came closer and I could often simply reach out and grab them and pick them up with barely a struggle or wriggle or any tail whipping or scratching by their claws, super laid back beardies who really hadn't learn to fear people and were among the biggest animals around. I think they were more curious about me then scared of me, I nearly always handled them without so much as threat from them, then simply put them back and they'd trot off then.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

There were some that were brought into the US for breeding purposes, in the early 1980's. They were bred with centrals for morphs & varying patterns, etc. I don't think that there are many of the original blood lines left. The bloodline genetics have been displayed in some of the breeders' offsprings with some of the darker colors, etc.
There may be a few here in the US, for breeding purposes but they are very rare. Australia does not export at all. If they do, then it's only for "research" purposes which can often be gray areas.

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I assumed the two P. barbata I saw were smuggled into the US, but who knows for sure....
I saw the last one just last year. The lady that had it got it as a rescue and it was very ill. She tried hard to nurse it back to health but it was pretty far gone when she got it. I was giddy with excitement because she said if she could save it she would give it to me. Sadly that didn't work out....

Pogonabarbata

Original Poster
Ok so there was some at some stage but they are basically either super rare or bred out of existence. Thats a shame, would be nice to see what experienced large scale breeders could do with them. I currently have 3 i recently added to my collection here in Australia, the colors (greys, whites, yellows and black so nothing real bright) and patterns are awesome even compared to the hypo lb central i have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom