Not open for further replies.
My Dragon since this morning health has failed, here are the symptoms:

a thick yellow mucus in mouth,
very shallow breathing
beard and tip of tail is black
limp
can't hold eyes open
and mouth is slighty open

First thing first, get your little guy to a vet.
Could be many issues, improper heating, feeding, substrate, water and so on and so on.
A vet is your best bet right now

kariann

Hatchling Member
I'm sorry about Fatty, but are you sure he is gone?

Please don't be too fast to make this judgement. Other members have reported death only to later observe breathing, etc. Keep him warm (i.e. 100 - 103F surface temps as measured with temp gun) and work on trying to get him to a veterinarian. Clean the mucous from his mouth/nose gently if you can. Answering this list of questions may allow others to help you more. I hope he isn't really gone.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

corriedanyelle

Original Poster
He actually just took another breath, he hasn't breathed in 20 mintues then all the sudden puffed up :)

How old is your dragon? Just over a year
How long have you had your dragon? since he was tiny baby of 2 inchs
How long is your dragon? a foot or so more.
What is the sex of your dragon? Boy.
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 55 Gallon
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? in a closed off 1/3 of cage we have the Desert Snow Substate and then paper towls covering the rest.
Do you use UVB lights? Yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Compact Coil
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Exo-Terra Repti Glo 10.0 Compact Desert Terrarium Lamp
How old is your UVB bulb? a few months
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? 7 inches away
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Exo-Terra Sunglo 60 wat
What are the basking temps?85-95 degrees
What is the cool side temp? 75-85
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? 3 1/2 to 4 inches from his basking rock
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? neither, he has a larger rock bridge that sits closer to the basking lamp
What do you feed your dragon? His favoite morning salad includes, Mustard Greens with Collard Mixed in, butternut squash every other day. In the evening he gets crickets 12- 20 and Phenoix Worms, since we don't have Pheniox worms he's had Super worms
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? morning and evening.
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc.? we dust once a week (with T-rex dragon dust or Rep-Cal Calcium supplement), calicum enriched cricket water gel,
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? hasn't since early yesterday morning.
Do you bath your dragon? How often? Just bathe him early last week, at least 2-3 times a month
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? occasionally mist, he drinks from his bowl which is changed everyday he mostly plays in it but will drink his fill before splashing in it.
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? NO.
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? Not yet, emergency vet hospital doesn't have repti doc in and repti doc isn't answering his calls. Last Fecal done 6months ago. He is going first thing in the morning.

Right now fatty, he is 6 inches max from the lights and is starting to attempt movement, but still VERY week. Mouth is yellow and a slimy film, gave him a litlle water through a syringe but i don't want to force it to much sine he's hardly breathing I'm afraid of drowning him. I've also messaged his belly from the right armpit to the vent in a luke warm bath.

corriedanyelle

Original Poster
we could really use some advice, i dont think hes going to make it to the vet in the morning.

His mouth, the inside is a pale yellow/white, and there is an ooze in it, its not like a film or anything, just an oozy looking substance in it, can someone tell me if attempting to clean it out might help? I dont know how much longer he can hold on..

And his chin, its black, but its a sleek looking black, and its very smooth. The tip of his tail is still sorta black as well.

Would some pictures help? I might be able to get one..

I would for sure clean out his mouth as good as you can, just use a q tip, keep him really worm 100 or so.
I am no pro but it might be a respiratory infection.
This is all I can offer if you want Fatty to make it through the night, lots of heat and keep his mouth clear so he can breath.

corriedanyelle

Original Poster
i cant tell if the ooze is in his throat or just around the rims of the inside of his mouth, i dont want to stick the q tip too far in there..

This stinks.

he isnt breathing all that much either, im gonna go take some pictures and see if anyone can help us out a little more, thanks so much guys.

corriedanyelle

Original Poster
0811092032a.jpg

0811092135a.jpg

0811092134b.jpg

0811092134a.jpg

Here they are, its the only ones im gonna take, i dont want to disturb him too much, I hope these can help. If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE post as soon as possible, I dont know how much longer he can hold on..

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
any lightning bugs in the area? If it came on suddenly is there any chance he ate one?
Im sorry if im throwing dumb questions at you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom