Beadie unresponsive but breathing

CavemanTann

Hello, looking for advice for our bearded dragon. No vets anywhere close to us can look at him till tomorrow.

In the last 2 days he has been extremely lethargic and unresponsive. He is breathing, but its like he is in a deeeeeep sleep. He's completely limp, no interest in eating or drinking. But he did have a bowl movement yesterday. I don't think it's brumation as he never has in the year and half we've had him, but possibly??

It all started 2 days ago when he had an episode where it seemed like he was choking, mouth wide open and hissed and shook his head a bit. Only lasted like a minute.

Beard and tip of his tail is also black

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, looking for advice for our bearded dragon. No vets anywhere close to us can look at him till tomorrow.

In the last 2 days he has been extremely lethargic and unresponsive. He is breathing, but its like he is in a deeeeeep sleep. He's completely limp, no interest in eating or drinking. But he did have a bowl movement yesterday. I don't think it's brumation as he never has in the year and half we've had him, but possibly??

It all started 2 days ago when he had an episode where it seemed like he was choking, mouth wide open and hissed and shook his head a bit. Only lasted like a minute.

Beard and tip of his tail is also black
He's in distress - please go over the uvb your using coil orong tube fixture - surface basking temps what are they how are you taking them? No analogs please - digital probe thermometer- how old is the dragon? Had he eaten before he was doing the choking behavior - did he throw up? You want a reptile vet www.arav.org type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post a picture of him?

What did he eat two days ago? Or what happened to cause him to hiss and act like he was choking?

-Brandon

CavemanTann

Original Poster
Can you post a picture of him?

What did he eat two days ago? Or what happened to cause him to hiss and act like he was choking?

-Brandon
He didn't eat anything that day, we think it was possibly one of our hairs if anything

Attachments

• 20231008_195953.jpg
    20231008_195953.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20231008_211047_01.jpg
    IMG_20231008_211047_01.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 77

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thank you for the update.

So he did poo yesterday? What did it look like? Normal size and shape? Are you sure it was poo and not vomit? When did he last poo prior to yesterday?

Is his stomach usually bloated like that?

Sorry for all the questions, but without being able to be there in person, it's the only way anyone here can help. A vet would definitely be in order, even if its a few hour drive.

Try to keep him warm over night, 80 degrees is a good target to shoot for. The extra warmth at night will keep the bodily functions working to hopefully help him fight whatever is ailing him.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh wow, poor dragon, he is definitely in severe
distress.
By the description of what happened, it sounds like he may have had a seizure, or he ingested some
type of toxin perhaps.
You mentioned that he is still breathing?
Has he opened his eyes, at all since the episode?
As Brandon suggested, try to keep him a little bit
warmer overnight to help boost his system since
he's not feeling well. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Oh man I'm sorry to hear that 😔

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that, how horrible for you & your family.
My condolences, I am sorry for you loss.😥

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeenaD11
Top Bottom