Please explain these terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rutabaga

What exactly is Hypo and Het and Dbl Het?

I am looking at different breeders and I don't know what these terms mean. I get what transluceant and leatherback are but not the other terms.

Thanks!

articwolfgirl

Juvie Member
idk doble het but i do know hypo Hypo is typicall meaning the beardie has all clear nails (see through claws) and if im correct alot of beardies ive noticed when thier colored thier tails while fade into white going down thier tail. Mine has it and alot of colored hypos have it but i could be wrong. It could be just a genetic trait

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
hypo is short for hypomelanistic. It means lacking melanin, or, in other words, the pigment-producing bodies from the skin. Hypo beardies have clear nails.

Double het refers to an animal that possibly carries both the hypo and translucent gene, but it doesn't always guarantee they carry the genes.
Hope this helps :)

Rutabaga

Original Poster
Thank you both for responding. I am still learning and gaining knowledge before I get my beardie and your responses were very helpful!!! I've seen pics of the ones with the tails fading to almost white...I, personally, do not care for that coloring.

Sounds like I want to be sure to get a bearded that is not Hypo or Het....just regular.

Thanks so much!!

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
Usually, if the tail is fading to almost white but the rest of the body is still colorful, or markedly different, it means that the dragon is probably in shed. I used to think the same thing as you :)

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
Haha, I was just looking at some beardies for sale that had completely "white" tails and I thought of this thread, lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom