Pet insurance for bearded dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emeraldcoast

Juvie Member
Anyone able to recommend a pet insurance that covers Beardies, besides nationwide, formerly known as vpi (veterinary pet insurance). Nationwide doesn't cover ANY parasites.

Thank you.

Emerald

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I've looked several times for bearded dragon health insurance, as I have 3 now, and I have never found one that covered reptiles that was even close to being worth it, especially for things like parasites. A fecal test and then antiparasitic meds or antibiotics/Antiprotozoan meds for coccidia aren't expensive enough to make the insurance worthwhile.

Maybe someone else can recommend one, but I doubt it. The bottom line to pet health insurance for reptiles is that it is basically only worth paying for if your beardie needs something very expensive, like surgery, or is diagnosed with cancer and needs chemo or radiation...As far as smaller, common health issues like parasites, bacterial infections, fungal infections, etc. most insurances don't cover any of these, and if they do it's much cheaper to just pay the vet out of pocket than pay the insurance premiums, deductibles, and copays.

I've had no luck finding beardie insurance myself. There is precisely one (UK-based) company that I know of, but several customers have left reviews to say they were reluctant to pay out. Not encouraging. I guess lizards just aren't as popular a pet as regular old cats and dogs :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom