Where do they get parasites from?

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
First: I don't suspect that my dragon has parasites, or generally any health issue. It is a general question to get a bit more information about what might come during the hopefully long live of my dragon.

Where do they get parasites from? It is clear to me that some parasites can be transferred from one dragon (or reptile in general) to another. Some might also be transferred through feeder insects.
Which kind of parasites would ever be possible for a dragon that

* was never in contact with any other dragons, reptiles or animals/pets after being sold as a baby
* whose humans doesn't have parasites (e.g. don't have salmonella)
* is never in contact with any grass, forest or similar but whose outdoor time is only on a balcony in an area with almost zero insects (we're here in the Atacama desert, and it might sound strange, but even a house fly is a super rare sight)
* thus has no access to gobbling down some random insect
* and gets (of course) live feeder insects?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First: I don't suspect that my dragon has parasites, or generally any health issue. It is a general question to get a bit more information about what might come during the hopefully long live of my dragon.

Where do they get parasites from? It is clear to me that some parasites can be transferred from one dragon (or reptile in general) to another. Some might also be transferred through feeder insects.
Which kind of parasites would ever be possible for a dragon that

* was never in contact with any other dragons, reptiles or animals/pets after being sold as a baby
* whose humans doesn't have parasites (e.g. don't have salmonella)
* is never in contact with any grass, forest or similar but whose outdoor time is only on a balcony in an area with almost zero insects (we're here in the Atacama desert, and it might sound strange, but even a house fly is a super rare sight)
* thus has no access to gobbling down some random insect
* and gets (of course) live feeder insects?
All dragons carry a parasite - its when they do not have proper surface basking temps and UVB that can cause them to over load the dragon w/ them if given the proper environment the dragon can keep control of them - crickets are a dirty feeder and can contribute to them as well --

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Thanks so far! Do you maybe know:

Which parasites are typically coming directly from the breeder?
Which parasites are transmitted from feeders other than crickets? (I'm not feeding crickets and I don't plan ever feeding them, e.g. as I cannot get them here.) Or transmitted from vegetables even if the vegetable is washed carefully?

(And of course, I always kept and will always keep the basking temps and UV "spot-on", because I know about the importance of this and that's a thing that can be controlled. Same is for calcium and vitamins.
I know this topic is important to you because it is simply important. Didn't had this in the list above because problems with temperature, UV, calcium, vitamins... cause serious health issues but the parasite isn't technically coming from that.)

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Any fruit or vegetable can carry parasites or bacteria, even if washed properly. It's the same for any insect, even if they're from a trusted source. Most animals have everything they need to fight off any parasites or bacteria naturally, for the most part. It really just comes down to husbandry. If you're really on top of lighting, humidity, housing, feeding, etc, you likely won't have a problem ever.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
If you're really on top of lighting, humidity, housing, feeding, etc, you likely won't have a problem ever.
I hope so!
(I absolutely take care of this (as I looked up everything before I got my dragon - thanks also to this forum! - and there are no excuses for me personally to cut down on this) and there was never a time since I got my dragon where anything of that was off.)

It just came into my mind as parasites were often mentioned here, but I see, many of those dragons are rescues from really bad husbandry, or at least had another owner with maybe not so good husbandry. (Wasn't able to get a rescue dragon as keeping reptiles is still a rare thing here, but just: huge thanks for anybody who rescues a dragon!(y))

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom