Turtle.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Does anyone have a turtle.? My 8 year old is BEGGING for a pet turtle and a quick Google search says something like a red eared slider makes a good beginner turtle because they're easy to care for, to interact with and are real friendly. But the guy at my local PetSmart said they're not real interactive because you can't take them out of their tank because they're fully aquatic.? Can anyone give me some info on turtles and if any of this is true and what you recommend as a first pet for a kid.? Something that stays small, is friendly/docile and easy to care for, something she can build a relationship with and interact with outside their tank for a little bit.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Aquatic turtles 🐢 are friggen nasty. You have to clean the water almost daily, and they STINK!!! a non-aqutic would be better in my opinion.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Aquatic turtles 🐢 are friggen nasty. You have to clean the water almost daily, and they STINK!!! a non-aqutic would be better in my opinion.
What kind of non-aquatic do you recommend for a kid wanting something "playful".? I guess something she can interact with daily.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Honestly i don't know turtles very well. The only one i ever had was an aquatic that my girlfriend brought home from work. It was wild caught and in very bad shape. Some kids found it at the local pond and brought it into her office. I rehabed it and put it back in a pond.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Consider a box turtle or a Russian tortoise if you want something interactive.
Well, we compromised and told her she has to care for something with a much smaller life span, to prove she can even care for a living thing, much less something that lives at least 30 years. So we got her a dwarf hamster. 😅🙃

Jewenyann

Consider a box turtle or a Russian tortoise if you want something interactive.
Turtles can be great pets, but, indeed, red-eared sliders are mostly aquatic. They're smaller, more terrestrial, and can be taken out for short interactions. You can read more about them at the Tortoise Owner blog. They can make excellent companions for kids!

Beardie name(s)
Emeril
Consider the hinge-back tortoise it is a pretty good tortoise that lives for about the same amount as a red-eared slider and is very small about 9-inch

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom