Question if Beardies are good class pets

Ghostborb

Hey everyone! My name is Mia I’m here to ask if Bearded Dragons are a good choice for a class pet. My mother recently started working as a teacher again and wants to get a class pet.
in the past we rescued a chameleon who originally was a class pet and close to deaths door because of it. So we want to make sure if we get a class pet of our own what would be the best choice.
Thank you for any information and opinions on this matter, we don’t want to mess up any animal care or health when figuring out this matter.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey everyone! My name is Mia I’m here to ask if Bearded Dragons are a good choice for a class pet. My mother recently started working as a teacher again and wants to get a class pet.
in the past we rescued a chameleon who originally was a class pet and close to deaths door because of it. So we want to make sure if we get a class pet of our own what would be the best choice.
Thank you for any information and opinions on this matter, we don’t want to mess up any animal care or health when figuring out this matter.
How old are the kids that the dragon is going into?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Third grade
Ok rules should be put in place for handling the dragon - only supervision when interacting w/ the dragon- are you planning to get a baby or a juvenile or adult? Babies need more attention than older dragons- the most important thing is the husbandry of the tank-- incorrect surface basking temps and uvb the dragon will not thrive- next you want the appropriate size tank - babies can go into a 20 gallon but must be moved into a bigger tank at around 5 months at the oldest- then a 120 gallon tank is recommended - we can all help you get the tank set up correctly so that the dragon thrives-

Ghostborb

Original Poster
Ok rules should be put in place for handling the dragon - only supervision when interacting w/ the dragon- are you planning to get a baby or a juvenile or adult? Babies need more attention than older dragons- the most important thing is the husbandry of the tank-- incorrect surface basking temps and uvb the dragon will not thrive- next you want the appropriate size tank - babies can go into a 20 gallon but must be moved into a bigger tank at around 5 months at the oldest- then a 120 gallon tank is recommended - we can all help you get the tank set up correctly so that the dragon thrives-
If we do get one we would probably get an adult from a rescue. (Also considering a gecko too).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If we do get one we would probably get an adult from a rescue. (Also considering a gecko too).
Ok so rescues sometimes come not so healthy- especially if they have not had proper husbandry- but it's good you are thinking that- there are a few on here that have gotten rescues- I will have XP29 get w/ you - but I can also help w/ getting that tank set up and w/ that being said I would get a 120 gallon tank-- also you need to think about breaks when school is not in session- who is going to take care of the dragon
@xp29

Ghostborb

Original Poster
Ok so rescues sometimes come not so healthy- especially if they have not had proper husbandry- but it's good you are thinking that- there are a few on here that have gotten rescues- I will have XP29 get w/ you - but I can also help w/ getting that tank set up and w/ that being said I would get a 120 gallon tank-- also you need to think about breaks when school is not in session- who is going to take care of the dragon
@xp29
Thank you for all help and support. We have decided that A bearded dragon isn’t the best option right now for a pet. Maybe someday in the future for these spunky reptiles!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
We see beardies here way to often that are severely neglected from being class pets. I am against it to the core. Get hermit crabs or something, a goldfish maybe, anything except a beardie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom