Not eating greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stickee8

Hey i got my bearded dragon a few days ago from the pet shop and he eats crickets worms but wont eat his veggies he is about 5 months. any tips?

pamelacoe

Hatchling Member
I'm assuming he is a juvenile; most juveniles don't eat their greens, but they should still be offered every day, fresh and thrown out before lights outs. My 8" guy has been with us for a week now, and has started to eat his greens (he seems to like collard greens). I notice he prefers them if I mist them a little. It took him a few days to start eating them. Just make sure they in little pieces, never larger than the distance between his eyes, and only use the leafy bits. Here is a site that was recommended to me for nutritional value:

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

As long as he is active, eating his hoppers, and have good poops (which he might do in his bath), don't worry so much about him not eating his greens yet.

pamelacoe

Hatchling Member
Also, if it is a juvenile, what type of worms are you feeding him? Meal worms are not a good idea because they have hard shells that are difficult for the young ones to digest. This could lead to him becoming compacted, which can be dangerous and even fatal. I would stick with the little crickets for now.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
You should try offering the salads first thing after they warm up in the morning they are more likely to eat them then. All the beardies in my house eat salads daily from hatchling to adult. Also offering a few bites by hand they will often take a bite or two this will get them started. I find that they tend to like the spicey green leafy veggies most. Mine love mustard greens, turnip greens, and cilantro. Also yellow and butternut squash are big hits.

BTW...Welcome to the Site! :D

pamelacoe

Hatchling Member
Barbara,

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I saw a site the other day about two headed beardies; I thought of you and Zac-n-Wheezie right away!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Pamela if you find it again please do share it with me. I know of Bert and Ernie (Jamie Hough of Valleydragons??) and I know of the one that Prehistoric Pet's bought from Hughe, I have heard rumors of another about the same age and size of Z&W (somewhere in Florida I think), but I've yet to find them.

Stickee8 also misting the veggies real good will intrigue them too. They will suck the water off of the veggies while doing so they may take a bite. :wink:

jackylwench

Blue doesn't seem to want to eat his greens either but I keep giving them to him! I am going to try to spritz them with water and see if that helps! I know they like some fruit such as bananas, does anyone know if babies can handle eating fruit?

Luthor

Hatchling Member
Stickee8":34lle92m said:
Hey i got my bearded dragon a few days ago from the pet shop and he eats crickets worms but wont eat his veggies he is about 5 months. any tips?

I have had the same problem - only had him a couple of days...however have found that hand feeding him a little bit he will take it if slightly moist, but then loses interest. He is fine with live food...gets very excited when he see's the tubs.
I think it might just take a few days before perhaps he is more settled before he starts investigating his food dish a bit more. I have tried putting a little piece of melon on there and a small half grape to make it a bit more interesting, but no luck yet.

Good luck :)

~ Luth

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Don't worry some baby's just take awhile to acquire the taste for veggies.
Patience and persistence is the key on your part. :wink:

jackylwench

Mine likes to lay on his greens now that I have started to spritz them with water! I think I might try a couple small pieces of fruit to see if he will eat that or not. He loves his crickets though. I was just a bit worried he wasn't getting everything he needed since he doesn't seem to eat his greens!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Heather just be persistant and keep offering your baby will eventually come around. Fruit go for it, just don't want to offer to much as fruit is high in natural sugar. Could make for some runny poops.

bkelley

Bane likes to play with his greens more than anything. Half of the salad usually ends up out of the bowl by the end of the day. He's still young (8", 9 weeks) so I'm not worried. He does eat a few pieces right after I put the salad in while it's nice and wet. I'll try the morning thing like Barbara mentioned and see if he'll try some more.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
fresnowitte":3q8196t7 said:
Also offering a few bites by hand they will often take a bite or two this will get them started.

I started doing this and for a week or two my girl wouldn't eat her greens unless they were hand fed. What I did was gave her one or two pieces, then slowly held them farther and farther from her, so she had to walk to it, and gradually made her walk all the way to the dish. Once there, I picked one up and dropped it back into the dish... took her a couple seconds to figure it out, but then she started eating from the dish rather than my hand. Eats out of there all the time now. Might help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom