Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaraa26

Beardie name(s)
Klitschko
Hello!
I just adopted a beard as a rehome and ive taken care of beardies before but I want second opinions. Birthday is unknown, The last owners had him for 2 years. They had an animal hoarding home to say the least. Now first thing I knew was he is D E H Y D R A T E D. they told me they brought him to the vet, they gave him powder for bone nourishment and protein. They did not tell me if they were doing it regularly or not. I noticed he had some kale and mealworms in a bowl with a lot of powder in there. the kale was eaten. So I get him, scrub his cage, which is kind of an odd cage for a beardie, he can hardly walk in it without falling off the edge, please look at it and tell me your two cents. Now I have not had him for 24 hours and once he's a little settled I put him in a warm water bath. He just slept, every time he perked up his eyes would slowly shut and his head would lower down. I bugged him a bit and he started drinking, a lot... he ended up throwing up a bunch of water but it got him to make a bowel movement. first was a weird log with the white stuff, tell-tale sign of dehydration. Second was a mound of meal worms. they weren't digested at all just cut in half. After that he seemed a bit more lively, I have not seen him eat yet (obviously) but he did start gasping like maybe he breathed In some water. He's just hanging out right now but im scared he will fall off so I put him on the lower level. Any and all suggestions are welcome and I would very much appreciate it!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello!
I just adopted a beard as a rehome and ive taken care of beardies before but I want second opinions. Birthday is unknown, The last owners had him for 2 years. They had an animal hoarding home to say the least. Now first thing I knew was he is D E H Y D R A T E D. they told me they brought him to the vet, they gave him powder for bone nourishment and protein. They did not tell me if they were doing it regularly or not. I noticed he had some kale and mealworms in a bowl with a lot of powder in there. the kale was eaten. So I get him, scrub his cage, which is kind of an odd cage for a beardie, he can hardly walk in it without falling off the edge, please look at it and tell me your two cents. Now I have not had him for 24 hours and once he's a little settled I put him in a warm water bath. He just slept, every time he perked up his eyes would slowly shut and his head would lower down. I bugged him a bit and he started drinking, a lot... he ended up throwing up a bunch of water but it got him to make a bowel movement. first was a weird log with the white stuff, tell-tale sign of dehydration. Second was a mound of meal worms. they weren't digested at all just cut in half. After that he seemed a bit more lively, I have not seen him eat yet (obviously) but he did start gasping like maybe he breathed In some water. He's just hanging out right now but im scared he will fall off so I put him on the lower level. Any and all suggestions are welcome and I would very much appreciate it!!!
Please go over your uvb and basking temps-- how are you getting your temps? They should be surface basking temps-- 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- uvb should be a long tube fixture--

Zaraa26

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Klitschko
Please go over your uvb and basking temps-- how are you getting your temps? They should be surface basking temps-- 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- uvb should be a long tube fixture--
Hi! Everything is on my page even a pic of the setup. His basking spot is 95 cool spot 75-80

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
it doesn't look like the ubv has a reflector. if that is the case, very little of the uvb is actually getting into the enclosure, especially since it is on top of the screen. that could cause the undigested food and sluggish behavior. i would start by replacing it with an adequate fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom