Need help with sick beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":18itv494 said:
Its possible yours is going thru adolescence--- what are you using for lighting in the tank? UVB brand and bulb -- NO coils--- post a pic of the tank please and lighting -- what are your basking temps? NO stick ons--- if your tank is short in height a T 8 would be better like AHBD suggested
Karrie

It's currently an Arcadia D3 t5 - he does have plenty of areas t escape it though. The one I ordered is a reptisun 10.0 t5, which would be a little less intense so perhaps better suited. I really can't afford to switch fixtures, I'm on a tight budget and his fixture cost over €100. Unless it's absolutely necessary of course.

I thought t8s can't fix into t5 fixtures? It's an Arcadia t5 fixture

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You should be able to lower the strength they make 10 % bulbs I am going to check
Karrie

I'd definitely be wondering if the arcadia is too strong, esp with the stick in the middle of your enclosure, he seems to be able to get pretty close to it.. Have you tried shutting it off for a day or two and see how he acts?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which parasites did they treat him for?
I agree, males can act awfully crazy during the spring & summertime season.
The tube bulb is how far from your boy? If you are using a T5 you wont be able to use a
T8 bulb, but you can upgrade from a 5% to a 10% bulb, if it's a T5.
Are you using a nice bright basking light mounted directly beside the tube bulb?

Tracie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Damienne17":18uspzw4 said:
I'd definitely be wondering if the arcadia is too strong, esp with the stick in the middle of your enclosure, he seems to be able to get pretty close to it.. Have you tried shutting it off for a day or two and see how he acts?

Oh it's not in the middle, it's at the back. He can get fairly close to it if he wants, but he also has space to get away.
I have tried to turn it off for a day, he still acts crazy, but instead of climbing the back/side wall, he glass surfs.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":3veclzir said:
Hello,

Which parasites did they treat him for?
I agree, males can act awfully crazy during the spring & summertime season.
The tube bulb is how far from your boy? If you are using a T5 you wont be able to use a
T8 bulb, but you can upgrade from a 5% to a 10% bulb, if it's a T5.
Are you using a nice bright basking light mounted directly beside the tube bulb?

Tracie

They were for coccidia.
He is puffing his beard out more than usual, but I assume that could be going into shed behaviour or something

Depends where in the vivarium he goes. If he stands on the part of the branch directly underneath it, it's about 8-10 inches away. That's probably the closest he can get. The other part of the branch does go a bit higher, but it isn't directly underneath the UV, so it's getting less rays.

What do you mean upgrade from 5 to 10%?

It isn't directly beside it, but close to it :). I've posted a picture of his setup a few pages back I believe

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Arcadia makes 4 different strengths of bulbs -- they have a 6-10-12- and 14% bulbs --- I was recommending the 10% bulb --- its not as strong and I am thinking its going to be closer to a T 8 which was what AHBD was recommending -- I have PM'd someone on the forum asking about that fixture and bulb -- I will get back w/ you
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3w30w2b1 said:
Arcadia makes 4 different strengths of bulbs -- they have a 6-10-12- and 14% bulbs --- I was recommending the 10% bulb --- its not as strong and I am thinking its going to be closer to a T 8 which was what AHBD was recommending -- I have PM'd someone on the forum asking about that fixture and bulb -- I will get back w/ you
Karrie

thank you Karrie! I've ordered him a 10.0 reptisun t5, that's 10% isn't it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I think they are 17% -- but not sure --- you need a Arcadia 10% bulb -- what length is your fixture ?http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-t-8-euro-range-10-24-inch-bulb-18-watt-super-sale/ I was waiting for someone to get back w/ me on that ---- these bulbs are driving me crazy trying to figure out what is what --- I was thinking the Arcadia 10% is a T 8 and the 12% are T 5 I know for sure -- I am going to PM another person and see if they get back w/ me -- so hang on
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The ReptiSun T5 10.0 is a T5 bulb and will fit only T5 fixtures. There are also T8 versions of the ReptiSun 10.0. The Arcadia 12% and 14% T5 bulbs will also fit into the same fixtures (T5 size). The Arcadia 10% is a T8 bulb "euro-range" which is a nice bulb, but is T8 size and will only fit a T8 fixture as Karrie mentioned.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So w/ that being mentioned I would look at upgrading the tank --- keep your T 5 fixture and just go w/ a bigger tank --- you can look on FB marketplace for a 75-120 gallon tank w/ front doors or Craigslist -- start there - if you find one make sure you sanitize it good w/ Zoo Meds Wipe Out or some F 10 its a vet disinfectant -- you can find it on Ebay - its good to have on hand
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Rhaegaldrogo, since your enclosure is only 16 inches tall your it's too short to have the powerful 10.0 t5. I don't think that Cooper + Drache saw the tank dimensions and so suggested the higher watt rather than the lower watt. It's the lower uvb output that would be suited for your tank, the 5.0 . Or were you getting a taller tank ? Sorry if I missed that in all the posts. :)

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will be upgrading him as soon as I can. Budget and space is a little tight right now (plus parents are not allowing one to buy a new viv at the moment..). But I do plan to as soon as is possible for me!

I did get a new UVB, it's the 10.0 t5 reptisun. I didn't see your posts guys ?. But I don't really think it's improving him much.

I got him an LED for the cool side to brighten it up. This doesn't really allow him to hide as easy anymorejust f. Usually that would make him very annoyed, but yesterday he just kind of accepted it lol.

Yesterday he wasn't anywhere near as frantic. He did wall sirf and all that, just not as long or the same intensity. He did Blackbeard a bit. He actually basked, and kept himself fairly warm. No food. He's pooped the last 3 days despite not eating for 4.

This morning, he still wall and glass surfed, but again, not at a super high intensity. He's not Blackbearding today though, apart from a faint one earlier on. Still no interest in food

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
rhaegaldrogo":3bmtnhka said:
I will be upgrading him as soon as I can. Budget and space is a little tight right now (plus parents are not allowing one to buy a new viv at the moment..). But I do plan to as soon as is possible for me!

I did get a new UVB, it's the 10.0 t5 reptisun. I didn't see your posts guys ?. But I don't really think it's improving him much.

I got him an LED for the cool side to brighten it up. This doesn't really allow him to hide as easy anymorejust f. Usually that would make him very annoyed, but yesterday he just kind of accepted it lol.

Yesterday he wasn't anywhere near as frantic. He did wall sirf and all that, just not as long or the same intensity. He did Blackbeard a bit. He actually basked, and kept himself fairly warm. No food. He's pooped the last 3 days despite not eating for 4.

This morning, he still wall and glass surfed, but again, not at a super high intensity. He's not Blackbearding today though, apart from a faint one earlier on. Still no interest in food

This wanting to hide behaviour started in mid April and is still a problem. Before, he was a very good eater, ravenous appetite. He went off veggies then, and has been on and off food the last few weeks...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Go w/ the lower bulb -- a 5.0 -- I think your tank is too low for the stronger output of the UVB---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom